MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old December 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrich View Post
I have mackie DFX12 and I love it. I tried other boards but they dont sound the same, gains are not as nice. I love my mackie sound and so do my customers!

yup i love my mackies too
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent View Post
Could you tell me exactly which model amps you are using? There may be another way to get you connected. Might even be simpler.

Basically, merge your outputs from your mixer into a single XLR connection (you can find adapters for this at most music stores) and run them into one (only) of the two XLR inputs on your amp. The other XLR input is often setup to serve as a line level output when operated in this manner (there is usally some kind of switch on the back of the amp to set this up). Connect an XLR cable from this connection to the input of your other amp and there you go. Both connected and far simpler set up. This is how I run my monitor speakers. The downside here is that now you will have to operate in mono instead of stereo. If you are leary of this then I can tell you from experience that after running mono for over a decade. No one has ever noticed. Plus you can also bridge your amps and run them at 4 Ohms with these types of setups. More power and actually easier on your amps as long as its controlled.

The USB port on the ProFX12/8 is used for streaming the main mix to a recording DAW software and sending a stereo stream from a computer program (such as hoster or a DJ program). I believe its level is controlled by the USB input knob near the EQ sliders. I don't think it is possible to reroute it to a slider of any type except the main output. If you are insterested in one that allows you to connect to each line you might look into a Yamaha N8 or N12. The cost is higher but it allows you the ability to run several items back and forth to your computer simultaneously via single firewire cable and is assignable to input sliders. Stay clear of the M-audio NRV-10. Its crap for live purposes. From what I've seen the USB connections on mixers are all single stereo in and out (even on some of the higher end mixers like the Allen & Heath ZED series which are far better built) which gives the firewire units a strong advantage in that they have multiple stereo ins and outs.

Good luck with the Mackie. I have looked at it and it seems pretty solid and should serve you well for quite some time. The main reason I didn't go with it is that I am moving into a lot more live sound applications and there weren't enough connections plus I prefer firewire. USB has too many issues for my taste. I am waiting for USB 3.0 to see if it has resolved them.
High-end amps to EV speakers that sit on top of bass bins. = Audio centron RMA-800.

The Amp that feeds the bass bins is a mackie M-1400i.

They both have xlr and 1/4" inputs and outputs.

let me know in detail exactly how I can make this a bit easier as you say. PM me if you want to.

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
High-end amps to EV speakers that sit on top of bass bins. = Audio centron RMA-800.

The Amp that feeds the bass bins is a mackie M-1400i.

They both have xlr and 1/4" inputs and outputs.

let me know in detail exactly how I can make this a bit easier as you say. PM me if you want to.

Any comment Jon

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Any comment Jon
Maybe, but not what you think.

When I read this post, it said
"Any comment Markle"
I thought you were talking to me. Then when I quoted for a reply it said
"Any comment Jon"

Now I'm completely confused and lost my whole train of thought.
Old December 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post

"Any comment Markle"
"Any comment Jon"

What happened I put markle at first, then I edited it to Jon (Monolithent), afterwards , you must have picked it up before the edit, huh

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:22 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post

"Any comment Markle"
"Any comment Jon"

I got two questions for ya now, "Remember any of that discussion about you guys trying to re-wire my mixer/bi-amp thing"?, and "Will the hoster demo install if you are not online?

Old December 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
I got two questions for ya now, "Remember any of that discussion about you guys trying to re-wire my mixer/bi-amp thing"?, and "Will the hoster demo install if you are not online?
Hoster demo does not require you to be online. As far as the rewire, I got nuthin'.
Old December 15th, 2008, 08:55 PM
VIP

Quote:
I got two questions for ya now, "Remember any of that discussion about you guys trying to re-wire my mixer/bi-amp thing
Vaguely, can you refresh?

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Vaguely, can you refresh?
Originally Posted by Monolithent
Could you tell me exactly which model amps you are using? There may be another way to get you connected. Might even be simpler.

Basically, merge your outputs from your mixer into a single XLR connection (you can find adapters for this at most music stores) and run them into one (only) of the two XLR inputs on your amp. The other XLR input is often setup to serve as a line level output when operated in this manner (there is usally some kind of switch on the back of the amp to set this up). Connect an XLR cable from this connection to the input of your other amp and there you go. Both connected and far simpler set up. This is how I run my monitor speakers. The downside here is that now you will have to operate in mono instead of stereo. If you are leary of this then I can tell you from experience that after running mono for over a decade. No one has ever noticed. Plus you can also bridge your amps and run them at 4 Ohms with these types of setups. More power and actually easier on your amps as long as its controlled.

I have the mixer cd output to the high-end amp, and the mixer main out to the amp feeding the subs now Lonnie.

A couple of you guys said if you saw the model numbers that there was a simpler and using less cords way of hooking up.

Old December 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithent

I have the mixer cd output to the high-end amp, and the mixer main out to the amp feeding the subs now Lonnie.

A couple of you guys said if you saw the model numbers that there was a simpler and using less cords way of hooking up.
Ah yeah. Well if that is the mixer you are set upon, then just use both main outs, one is a 1/4" TRS balanced set & the other is an XLR. Run the XLR to the subs & the 1/4" to the high amp.
Still best recommendation would be to get an external crossover, you run XLR to the crossover, XLR low(sub) to sub amp & XLR(high/full range) to high amp. You will notice an immense improvement.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old December 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Ah yeah. Well if that is the mixer you are set upon, then just use both main outs, one is a 1/4" TRS balanced set & the other is an XLR. Run the XLR to the subs & the 1/4" to the high amp.
Still best recommendation would be to get an external crossover, you run XLR to the crossover, XLR low(sub) to sub amp & XLR(high/full range) to high amp. You will notice an immense improvement.
thanx, Lon. What's all this "simpler" hook-up by using fewer cords between the amps that Mono talks about. Any comment on that?

Old December 16th, 2008, 04:37 PM
VIP

Quote:
thanx, Lon. What's all this "simpler" hook-up by using fewer cords between the amps that Mono talks about. Any comment on that?
Not sure, using a Y connection to meld the two outputs of any mixer can do damage to the mixer, but that's what it looks as though he's recommending. Basically taking the two stereo outputs & summing them to 1 mono output. But again, this CAN do damage to the mixer.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Bryant, get yourself a BBE SONIC MAXIMIZER W/ A SUB WOOFER FILTER this has a diagram on how to set up your system ,not a lot of cables, no need for x-overs and eq's,no complicated adjustments, my system is hooked up the way the diagram is showing ( very, very simple )
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Hey guys,
Greetings from somewhere in Southeast Asia. I'm not even sure where anymore. It's kinda like that movie Groundhogs Day lately.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this. I been kinda busy.

As far as what I was talking about. There are several amplifiers on the market that will allow you to use one of your inputs as a line level output in mono. It is possible to use a y connector to sum the outputs from the mixer into a single line (recommend XLR) into one input of the amp and use the other input to daisy chain a line level (not amplified) signal to the input of a different amp. If you look at the multiamp setups of stadiums and large array speaker systems they run them sort of that way. With the amps you've described I don't know if its possible. Your RMA800 definitely wont do it and I don't know about the Mackie. Check the owner's manual. If it does then it will explain in graphic detail how to do it. I love Mackies manuals.

As far as safety I've been running systems like this for years and have never had a single hiccup.

I do whole heartedly agree with Lonman, though. A crossover is definitely the best way to go. Make sure to study all your speaker and amp manuals (especially their usable frequencies) before going to full power or you could blow something. Wrong frequencies into a tweeter or a bass bin can get expensive.

Monolith Entertainment
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,
Greetings from somewhere in Southeast Asia. I'm not even sure where anymore. It's kinda like that movie Groundhogs Day lately.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this. I been kinda busy.

As far as what I was talking about. There are several amplifiers on the market that will allow you to use one of your inputs as a line level output in mono. It is possible to use a y connector to sum the outputs from the mixer into a single line (recommend XLR) into one input of the amp and use the other input to daisy chain a line level (not amplified) signal to the input of a different amp. If you look at the multiamp setups of stadiums and large array speaker systems they run them sort of that way. With the amps you've described I don't know if its possible. Your RMA800 definitely wont do it and I don't know about the Mackie. Check the owner's manual. If it does then it will explain in graphic detail how to do it. I love Mackies manuals.

As far as safety I've been running systems like this for years and have never had a single hiccup.

I do whole heartedly agree with Lonman, though. A crossover is definitely the best way to go. Make sure to study all your speaker and amp manuals (especially their usable frequencies) before going to full power or you could blow something. Wrong frequencies into a tweeter or a bass bin can get expensive.

thats one thing about having an active ( powered ) speakers, you can just daisy chained it without having to go from one amp. to another (not to mention having to carry those heavy amps ) , and if you wanna use subs, all you had to do was plug in your speakers to the sub and sub to the board, and mackie boards has its own input for any kind of sound processors/monitor ( s)

Last edited by billyo; January 19th, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM

Had a few moments to look at the manual for the Mackie M1400i you have.

Here's what you do........run stereo into the 1400 just like you already are from the 2 main outputs on your mixer. The 1400 has a THRU connection (basically two outputs that aren't amplified and are identical to what's going into the 1400). Get two XLR cables and run them from the THRU connections on the 1400 to the RMA 800 inputs. And then run out of each amp to your speakers as you already have been doing.

Or you can get a crossover.

Good luck with it. Gimme a yell if you need help.

Monolith Entertainment
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM
VIP

deleted

Old January 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
VIP

Quote:
Had a few moments to look at the manual for the Mackie M1400i you have.

Here's what you do........run stereo into the 1400 just like you already are from the 2 main outputs on your mixer. The 1400 has a THRU connection (basically two outputs that aren't amplified and are identical to what's going into the 1400). Get two XLR cables and run them from the THRU connections on the 1400 to the RMA 800 inputs. And then run out of each amp to your speakers as you already have been doing.

Or you can get a crossover.

Good luck with it. Gimme a yell if you need help.
Pretty cool trick; are you saying that this accomplishes exactly the same thing as I am doing now. It doesn't seem to save a lot of wiring, but just replaces a mixer to RMA800 wire set for a 1400i to RMA800 wire set. What is the real advantage here then?

Old January 20th, 2009, 10:45 PM

Sorry about the delay. Had to check on a flight into someplace I'm not supposed to mention.

The biggest advantage is that you only have to wire them together once. Based on what I got from earlier, you run the cables from your mixer to the amps every time you set up. This way if you rack them together you only have to connect them together one time and leave them and then only have to run one set of cables from your mixer instead of two.

There is also a setting on your 1400 to bridge the amp. Which basically joins the both sides of your amp into one with a single output (usually A or 1 side). Run that output to one of your subs and then out of that sub into the other sub. That will lower the resistance because of being parallelled and increase your output while putting less load on your amplifier. It will work harder but more efficiently if that makes any sense.

You can do the same with the RMA800 but I believe you will have to use the binding posts on that amp to make that work. I have an RMA 1600 that I used to use that way and I think thats how I had to do it. Either way it will do the same as the 1400 power wise at that point. My recommendation would be to leave the outputs from it alone (don't bridge it and keep running stereo out of it the way you have been (one cable to each speaker) so you still have stereo if you want it. Tops are fine to run stereo but its really not that useful for subs (most audiences can't hear it).

I also noticed that your particular amp (1400) has several small knobs and switches on the back for setting output levels and input settings. You may not need a crossover after all. If there is a knob for low pass filter that will do pretty much the same thing and you don't have to buy any more outboard gear.

Have a look at the manual online http://www.mackie.com/pdf/m1400_m1400i_om.pdf and do some studying. There looks to be a ton of available options for that particular model. The back of your subs should have a frequency range on them. Use that as your baseline for setting the switches. Not 100% sure all of this will work exactly as described but it looks promising. Be sure to read all of the manual before you risk a show on this. Sometimes bridging an amp shuts off one of its inputs and would leave you with only left channel (or maybe just right).

Hope that helps.

By the way, I was just in Bangor late last week on my way out here to sand land. How far is that from you?

Monolith Entertainment
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:38 PM
VIP

Quote:
Sorry about the delay. Had to check on a flight into someplace I'm not supposed to mention.

The biggest advantage is that you only have to wire them together once. Based on what I got from earlier, you run the cables from your mixer to the amps every time you set up. This way if you rack them together you only have to connect them together one time and leave them and then only have to run one set of cables from your mixer instead of two.

There is also a setting on your 1400 to bridge the amp. Which basically joins the both sides of your amp into one with a single output (usually A or 1 side). Run that output to one of your subs and then out of that sub into the other sub. That will lower the resistance because of being parallelled and increase your output while putting less load on your amplifier. It will work harder but more efficiently if that makes any sense.

You can do the same with the RMA800 but I believe you will have to use the binding posts on that amp to make that work. I have an RMA 1600 that I used to use that way and I think thats how I had to do it. Either way it will do the same as the 1400 power wise at that point. My recommendation would be to leave the outputs from it alone (don't bridge it and keep running stereo out of it the way you have been (one cable to each speaker) so you still have stereo if you want it. Tops are fine to run stereo but its really not that useful for subs (most audiences can't hear it).

I also noticed that your particular amp (1400) has several small knobs and switches on the back for setting output levels and input settings. You may not need a crossover after all. If there is a knob for low pass filter that will do pretty much the same thing and you don't have to buy any more outboard gear.

Have a look at the manual online http://www.mackie.com/pdf/m1400_m1400i_om.pdf and do some studying. There looks to be a ton of available options for that particular model. The back of your subs should have a frequency range on them. Use that as your baseline for setting the switches. Not 100% sure all of this will work exactly as described but it looks promising. Be sure to read all of the manual before you risk a show on this. Sometimes bridging an amp shuts off one of its inputs and would leave you with only left channel (or maybe just right).

Hope that helps.

By the way, I was just in Bangor late last week on my way out here to sand land. How far is that from you?
50 miles south, one road, I-95, no toll either.