MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 7th, 2001, 07:35 PM

Question ide vs. scsi

Need a little help here. Just what is ide and scsi, in regards to cd burners. We would like to make back up copies of our cd+g's. We are trying to figure out what all we will need to purchase. So far this site seems to know what they are talking about, or at least what they say sounds good to us. Thanks.........
Old November 9th, 2001, 09:35 AM

Hi, not exactly certain regarding the differences between IDE and SCSI are, but I believe the SCSI interface allows several devices to be operated from one controller. The need for which type burner to purchase will be up to which type hard disc controller you have. Simply click on to Control Panel, then System, then Device Manager, Then Hard Disc Controllers.It should tell you there what type of controllers you have. You may have both, in which case you could use either type burner. You MUST have SCSI to use an SCSI burner.

To simply make back up copies of CDG's you would need a MTU certified burner and Microstudio. I believe system requirements for running Microstudio are:

64MB RAM for Windows 95,98 ME
128 MB RAM for Windows 2000 or NT
A sound card for playing cdg's
Further needs(aspi drivers, etc.) are explained in Microstudio Manual.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the delay, was waiting for someone with more expertise to come to your aid.

Take care,

George
Old November 9th, 2001, 02:54 PM

George is correct. Most computers don't have SCSI installed in them, unless they are custom. SCSI used to be the faster technology in the past, but it is more costly than IDE. You could basically purchase two IDE drives for the Price of the SCSI controller and the SCSI CD-R drive.

SCSI is also very much more confusing to work with, I personally hate dealing with SCSI now. There are so many little things that can go wrong with it, compared to IDE. IDE is the choice of 99% of our clients, and for good reason.
Old November 11th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Frequent Member

can you copy from drive to drive CDG discs using IDE?
A friend of mine is trying to decide whether or not to go IDE as his SCSI writer won't work with WIN98SE.
Old November 11th, 2001, 11:21 PM

Drive to drive will work with IDE. Both drives must support CDG and the read drive must have sufficient speed to keep up with the write drive. At least that's my understanding. Doesn't look like much to be gained speed wise though with Microstudio, as it always creates an image file on the hard drive then writes to the burner. There's a very detailed explanation of drive to drive duplication on page 9 of the Microstudio manual.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; November 11th, 2001 at 11:30 PM.
Old November 12th, 2001, 02:03 PM

There is no way for Microstudio to beable to copy from one CD-R drive to another. It will always go to the hard drive and then to the Writer, no matter what. This allows for better error checking, and allows less chance of errors in the copy.