PDA

View Full Version : Coping the NEW SC cd/s

Jason Z
November 29th, 2001, 05:21 PM
I recently posted a msg concerning the new cds from Sound Choice. Which until now I've been extremely happy with.

In the hopes that they [Sound Choice] may read this I wish to make the following statement. "If your cd's were cheaper i would just by a second cd rather than archive a copy to ensure i had a good cd if something happens to it!" The way around your process is to convert the cdg to vcd format. This can be done the following way.

I use my karakoke player and play the cd. I have an ati capture card and record each track individualy. You then have to convert those to mpeg form. Use the program Nero to make the vcd and problem solved. However this unfortunately makes the process longer of archiving, and if you dont have a vcd capable karakoke player your out of luck. If anyone finds a quicker or easier way to do this please post a new message.

BITE ME SOUND CHOICE
:w have a nice day!

danny_g
December 3rd, 2001, 02:26 AM
In total agreement with you. And If you have a Pioneer 555 plyer you are screwed because they won't play the stinking things.
In my opinion that smacks of discrimination to me. check out BC's post on Joltforum and you'll get the full effect of Sound Choice's attitude. As far as I'm concerned there is only one disc in the new discs that I will buy and that will be that and I'll also copy it into VCD format twice, once as a master so I don't have to video capture the disc every time I have to replace it. After that hasta la vista Sound Choice. I'll pester Chartbuster to make more of the songs I'm into. Or I'll make 'em myself. in fact, I think a faster process is maybe taking the audio from the Sound choice cdg's and using KHProducer to recreate the files might be a faster and easier solution and you don't need a vcd player to play those as they will be cdg without media clog. a regular cd player will play these discs. al you need are the lyrics and you're all set. and maybe you can do a better job at having better lyric quality as I have noticed that SC sometimes messes up on the lyrics.

George
December 3rd, 2001, 08:40 AM
Seems like it would be easier to use a stand alone cd audio burner, (assuming that most who like to record themselves singing have a burner in their audio system), then record one track at a time on to a cdrw(skipping the media clog track), then process through KHP to restore the lyrics. The cdrw could be used over and over for this purpose without going into the coaster business. I do all my initial recordings on cdrw for that purpose, but maybe I'm lucky because my Sony CDP-CX400 player will play cdrw. That was #1 requirement when I made my purchase. I wish MTU would revise it's statement that cd players will not play cdrw. There is a movement in that direction, and it sure saves money.

Take care,

George

I've said it before, and for the sake of the SoundChoice people and any other Karaoke Companies monitoring this site, I'll say it again.I will not buy a product that I cannot make a back up of, not even if you came down to a realistic price for that .15 hunk of plastic. The whole Music and Computer industries jumped on the cd bandwagon. Look at the complexity of an audio cassette in comparison, and check the price structure of cd's vs cassettes. CD technology you say, well considering the billions of cd's sold, they've recovered that a jillion times over. it's still a .15 hunk of plastic, and if they weren't trying to get to us any format should play in any player. Period.

Doubletrak
December 4th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Danny, you mean this post on the SC forum on karaoke.com? Yeah, you're right, what an ‘attitude’ – "we're sorry for the trouble, we're trying to find a DVD compatible version, we'll refund your money" - ha, ha. I’m not sure how logical your thinking is – 'I’ll buy the products that don’t have the songs I want, but at least I can copy an inferior product!' But, if it works for you, you go with that equivalent of a cassette copy – I’m sure the audio and video quality are first rate.

Here'e the, or 'a' post from the SC rep:

"- First of all, we're sorry that we have this situation, and some of our customers cannot use their DVD players with the MediaCloQ discs. We will address all customer complaints at 800-788-4487. Please call and ask to speak to a Customer Service Representative. At this point in time, it is my understanding that we are refunding money directly to any customer who wants to return a MediaCloQ disc upon return of the original disc.

Our Customer Service Representatives can handle this for you. Please do not send your disc to us without authorization. It will only delay the process.

- Secondly, Sound Choice has been told that there may be a DVD compatible version available sometime soon.

Until we have a chance to test it, it's too early to know if and when we will incorporate Version 2. If and when we have a DVD-compatible V2, we will then have to decide which discs, if any, that have already been released with V1 will be manufactured again using V2.

- Lastly, I have seen the MediaCloQ discs characterized as 'defective' discs. This is inaccurate and wrong. There is no 'defect' with MediaCloQ because those discs won't play in DVD players, CD-ROM drives, or some car CD players. That is a necessary by-product of the copy protection design at this time.

The MediaCloQ discs play in every CD+G player Sound Choice, Sunncomm and our dealer network have been able to test. So far, there has not been a single complaint about the MediaCloQ discs not playing in a CD+G machine.

Of course it is not our intent to limit or exclude our existing customer base, and we will work to resolve this situation as quickly as we can.

Is it an ideal situation? No. Of course, that verbiage could also describe the reasons that have forced us to implement copy protection in the first place. The simple and sorry fact of the matter is that we will lose more sales to people who copy our discs if they aren't copy protected, than we will to folks who don't purchase our products because they aren't DVD compatible. Unfortunately, this is a necessary solution for us at this time."

I guess everyone has their own position and feelings on this subject. It just seems to me that there are usually two sides to every story, and these guys are just trying to protect their business. I would guess that sometime in the future, discs will be a thing of the past, and everything will be embedded in a chip or a file that is coded to an individual human being. Then we can clone ourselves to get our backup!