PDA

View Full Version : Sound Choice Problem

jack75
November 10th, 2001, 10:14 AM
I HAVE A SOUND CHOICE CDG #8146 SPOTLIGHT SERIES SOUTHERN FRIED ROCK THAT'S COPY PROTECTED IT WILL NOT PLAY ON MY MICROSTUDIO PROGRAME IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR THIS THANK YOU:? DON

admin
November 10th, 2001, 10:25 AM
SC is now using a very strong copy protection that prevents reading the disc on a computer or CDR/CDROM drive. We will address what we can do, but we now suggest you "economically vote" against what they are doing by not buying their discs. They may get the idea. They may not.

gladu2
November 11th, 2001, 12:23 AM
To Don,

I only have one Sound Choice disk, it happens to be #8146 / Southern Fried Rock. It definitely plays on my computer w/ the Microstudio program.

I'm not sure why your copy wouldn't unless the disk was manufactured later with a different set of guidelines. I have an Iomega CD Writer #ZIPCD3840INT-A that is said to be a Plexor clone but with out the prestigious price tag, 500 mhz AMD processor, 64 mb ram and 10 gigabyte hard drive, just to let you know what I'm playing my Sound Choice disk with.
Good luck with that.

Mike G.

George
November 11th, 2001, 08:40 AM
See the thread below titled "Sound Choice using media clog to prevent playing/copying."

Take care,

George

Cocktail
November 13th, 2001, 07:06 PM
For the discs that are merely MULTISESSION the only way I have found around this problem is to extract the songs individually. They can either be played from the harddrive or you can burn them to a disc using custom assembly. Trying to copy the entire disc as it is will not work. And the very newest discs have a different protection block which will apparently be added to their backcatalog as well.

For the discs that are merely MULTISESSION I use Microstudio and I read and burn with an external SCSI Yamaha 4416 drive.

When you go to extract the files from the disc to your hard drive you will find an extra track at the end of the disc (a 15 song disc will show 16 tracks). You must not include that track! Whatever information it contains is what causes the problems reading the discs.

One small problem I have had is that when I get to the last actual CDG track and extract it, Microstudio sometimes won't add it to the songlist. It does however copy it to the hard drive, so it is just a matter of selecting "select from hard drive" instead of "from CD" for that track to add it to the songlist before burning.

Once you have burned the disc it can be played and backed-up from like a non-protected disc.

Unfortunately the newest discs have a different block and I have been unable to extract the tracks on the newest discs. I just tried on SC8718 and SC8719 and neither can be read. I have even tried programs that let you read the sector numbers and extract using them, but they can not read the data either.