PDA

View Full Version : TIPS FOR RECORDING: Hardware Software & Media

Misschiff
May 28th, 2001, 04:26 PM
I'd like to make a couple of points about recording that may have been over-looked by many people, including the people that sell you your computer system or CDR/RW hardware!

Recording CDs and CDGs can be finiky depending on a number of factors, that is why it is best to have a professional (such as MTU) custom build your system or advise you on what you need. Problems don't often originate with the recording software, but rather, with the hardware and disc media. The following are a few things to look out for when making a system compatible for recording.

- <b>Make sure your system drivers are up to date:</b>
This may be stating the obvious, but many people feel that having a new system means things will run perfectly. Not so. Drivers are often released as new applications and OS updates are made available. Be sure to check for firmware updates also, and carefully follow the instructions for installing it. This is not precluded to CD/CDG burning, driver updates are a part of computer maintenance in general.

- <b>Compatible Hardware:</b>
You've probably heard the following statement: "Data transfer is only as fast as the weakest link within the path". As this is true for the internet, it includes everything down to the chips on your components and everything inbetween. Not knowing the specs of your hardware can make it difficult to troubleshoot where problems may lie.

Most common harware and configuration issues to look for:

- CDROM and CDR speeds
- hard drive speeds
- hardware architechture (eg SCSI or IDE interface and data transfer speeds)
- amount of <i>available/free</i>RAM
- Virtual Memory (although MTU reccommends settings)
- free hard disk space for temp files
- DMA and other settings
- other running processes on your OS

- <b>Disk Media & Speed Compatability:</b> Often over-looked, is the brand of CD and speed it supports. This applies to all CDs - writable and rewritable. Check your CDR/RW manufature for a compatability list of disk media. Also, just because your CDR/RW can write up to 16x, doesn't mean the disc can handle it. Most media will state the speeds it was designed for right on the packaging. Myself, I only use high quality brand name CDs for CDG duplication because it needs to support graphics as well as audio.

On the subject of disks, some source disks are harder to dupe than others. I use a product called <b>PermaShine</b> (pink goop), to properly clean all my source disks prior to burning (it really makes a difference). It can help to repair (yes, REPAIR) scratched disks. I also use it on newly burned CDs/CDGs to protect them. It is a good idea to clean your disks once or twice a year if you use them frequently. Permashine is an amazing product.

I may have forgotten a few points here and there (I am writing this on the fly), however the final point I'd like to make is that the combination of hardware, software and recording media (hard drive or CD) will determine the rate of speed and success of a recording. Get to know the specs of what you are using and keep your drivers and application updates current.

Understandably I can't make any specific reccommendations due to the vast variety of sytems out there, but I hope this helps at least bring an awareness and some direction for you to consider when configuring your system.

<b>Interesting / Helpful Links:</b>
Chipset bug - http://www.ncf.ca/~aa571/oakbug.htm
ASPI Driver Info - http://www.ncf.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm
Copying CDG's Help Forums - http://www.cdrom-guide.com/cdrmsgs/1243.html
I lost some of my other links, but if I find them I will post

All the best,
Misschiff