PDA

View Full Version : Copying Vcd Discs

George
November 21st, 2002, 08:51 AM
Does anyone out there know if WORLD STAR brand VCD Karaoke discs are employing copy protection? A very nice lady across the pond needs help. She said she has successfully copied VCD Karaoke discs before using Microstudio, which makes one wonder if it may be copy protection.

Any input helpful.

Thanks, George

jim in ohio
November 21st, 2002, 10:05 AM
George, I went to MTU's FAQ, are you sure she used Micro Studio for Video CD's??
Jim

George
November 21st, 2002, 10:53 AM
Jim,

That's what she said in a private message looking for help. I didn't think Microstudio was VCD compatable, but that's what she said, so I thought I would try to at least find out if Word Star VCD's were copy protected and let her take it from there:?

Take care,
George

jim in ohio
November 21st, 2002, 11:28 AM
What’s the Difference between CDG, DVD and VCD?

CDG also known as CD+G or CD+Graphics are music CD's with words/lyrics that come out on the screen. CD+G only has words/lyrics on the screen, most do not have guide vocals unless otherwise stated. No videos like DVD's and VCD's. The words/lyrics change colors as an helpful aid for singers to know when and what to sing next. CDG’s can be played on CDG compatible players, CDG software for the computer, or on regular CD players with our CDG Decoder.

DVD is similar to an LD (Laser Disc) but the size of a CD. Karaoke DVD's have background videos with words/lyrics that appear on the screen. The words/lyrics change color as well as the CD+G and VCD. DVD video quality is much better than that of VCD.

VCD is the precursor to the DVD. There is video and words/lyrics like a Karaoke DVD but the quality is not as good as a DVD. VCD is an MPEG-1 video format that you can use on VCD compatible players and Microsoft Media Player or any other 3rd party software that supports the MPEG format.

I just clipped this off a World site, I don't think she used Micro Studio.

Jim

George
November 21st, 2002, 11:38 AM
I understand Jim, and agree, but the question is not whether Microstudio will or won't read VCD. I guess I goofed by even mentioning Microstudio.

The question is does anyone know if WORD STAR VCD uses copy protection ?

If we can come up with an answer to that, it matters little what program she's using, the work-around may be the same.

George

kjzone
November 21st, 2002, 11:56 AM
George.......I know that you have to have a CD-Rom Drive that can "READ" the VCD's and DVD"s in order to Copy one. Don't think you can do it with the Standard Plextor and Yamaha's CD-Roms we use everyday to copy CD+G's.

I used to copy VCD's using my Toshiba DVD CD-Rom and CloneCD, but have removed the Toshiba.....Don't mess with VCD Karaoke anymore.

In the above, Clone CD would copy the VCD from my Toshiba DVD CD-Rom, I would then burn to a CD-R using my Plextor.

Using CloneCD you can copy a VCD disk. If you want to know if any copy protection is on the disk, use the Clony XL program to identify the copy protection and then use Clony XL to export those settings to Clone CD.

The following website has all the major copy protection settings for CloneCD for the major copy protection schemes:

http://clone.cd/portals/mod.php?mod=fileman&menu=1405

Since I don't have my Toshiba DVD CD-Rom installed, can't say whether MicroStudio can copy VCD's or not.

Lars Mila
November 25th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Well: I baught 2013 in feb 2001 and then later the upgrade 2303.
I have an HP CD Writer plus 8200 and have had no problems copying complete Karaoke VCD:s with those Microstudio versions.

It has to be a complete image copy and not track by track. (In fact, it is possible to make a track by track copy but the result is not readable of some reason, maybe it is copied as CDG tracks)

Still, I have done more than 25 good different VCD karaoke copies.