PDA

View Full Version : Lock up!!

kedmison
June 27th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Need Help!! Got Microstudio last week. Love it. Had been using CDRWIN. This week all @#&& breaks loose. Anytime I get half way through copying or trying to write a disc the computer brings up a blue screen with this message:

"Windows - A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C004EA3A
in VXD VCACHE (01) + 0000019A"

Now, I have upgrade Direct X. Upgraded Drivers. And yes I do have a Promise Ultra ATA Controller. BUT the program had been working. I have a 1.3 GH AMD 512 MB ram and a Plextor 12/10/32A CDR. I have tried my old CDRWIN program and the same thing is happening. So,.. I'm inclined to believe it's not the program but the computer. When I have to reboot the computer makes 1 short loud beep. Some said they thought that meant a problem with the motherboard. Any ideas out there? Thanks,

Kelly

George
June 28th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Kelly,

Is the DMA turned on the cdrom/cdrw drives ?

George

kedmison
June 28th, 2002, 07:56 AM
George,

Yes. The DMA is turned on. I have had the computer for about a year and a half. After first getting it I noticed it would sometimes just freeze up. Using almost any program; word excel etc. I took it back and they kept saying everything checked out alright. Then I begin using CDRWIN. Once in a while it would freeze also. Recieved Microstudio earlier this month and loved it. Slowly though it started crashing with the previous error message. And in checking out my old CDRWIN it did like wise.

I'm using 2nd edition 98. I have Microsoft Office 2000 And Norton anitvirus. (Yes I turn it off when copying) There's nothing else in the computer. No games or other programs to be loading up my hard drive. (40gig)

Kelly

George
June 28th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Kelly,
Just "fishin' around" for a possible fix. When you said you took care of the drivers, does that also include the fix described by Support in a post at the beginning of this forum, or just the latest product drivers? Just making sure. That info, along with the p.c. data you gave will help support help you. Have you tried going to the system tray and closing out everything not needed(most everything) just before trying to burn. Not that you don't have enough RAM, but something might not be compatible and causing waves.

Like I said, just fishin'

George

Yeah, Microstudio puts CDRWIN in the kiddie league.

kedmison
June 28th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Went by the advice exactly. And I have nothing in my try except Norton. And as I said I turn it off each time. I'm at a complete lost where to go next???? But thanks for the advice.

Kelly

kedmison
June 28th, 2002, 09:44 AM
I am using Direct X 8.1. Everything I see in the forum talks about 8.0. Could this be a problem?

Kelly

George
June 28th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Kelly,
I wouldn't think so. 8.1 is the latest, and I'd guess 8.0 would be the minimum they're calling for. I'm using 8.1 with windows 98SE and not having any problems.

I'm rather reluctant to say this, but I was having all sorts of wierd problems with practically everything on my p.c. until I bit the bullet, chucked the "all in one" motherboard, and also replaced the AMD processor with an Intel Pentium4. Now everything functions just as it should. Not to be taken as a suggestion, just relating my experience. It may very well be possible that it wasn't the hardware change, but the complete re-formatting that cured my ills. Will never know.

Wish I could have been more help.

Take care,

George

Just a thought, have you run scan disc and defrag recently? That can cure a multitude of ills also.

kedmison
June 28th, 2002, 11:11 AM
George,

Appreciate all the help. Went and took the pc to the shop. I'm convinced it's in the motherboard or a deafult in the ram. I'll pass the outcome on. Thanks again.

Kelly

MTUSUPPORT
June 28th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Kelly,
This means that you have messed up the Vcache Settings. Please go into the Start Menu, Run, type in Sysedit, then ok. Under this then click on the System.ini file, and then go down to the Vcache Section, please remove the Minfilecache= line and Maxfilecache= line. These are no longer needed, for Microstudio, this is if they are there.

If this is not it, then it sounds like you might not have enough Memory in your system, or it is something to do with the memory.

George is correct, and has always helped me out with these programs. I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but I have been pulling my hair out with 4 computer systems, that we are needing to ship, that were locking up due to a timing issue with our Krystal board and the new 2.0 ghz processors, so I have been in over over load.