PDA

View Full Version : DMA box not there...

iculook
June 19th, 2002, 05:41 AM
The Microstudio says to go in and enable the DMA box, and I do not have one under my Plextor CD-R drive settings under device manager in the settings. What do I do? My burner stops right in the middle of burning a CD+G>

Brian Corr
June 19th, 2002, 06:26 AM
I had a look for the DMA check box in XP and it seems to have been done away with.

Are you using XP ?? Make sure all your drivers are up to date. Make sure you have the latest Direct X installed. Install all XP updates.

Hope the above works.

iculook
June 19th, 2002, 09:27 AM
But I am using Windows ME and I have the latest Direct version 8, any other suggestions? I do so appreciate your trying to help.
Sincerely,
Suzanne

admin
June 19th, 2002, 09:57 AM
We need more info to troubleshoot your problem. :?

Please tell us what you seen when the CDR stops. The exact text, error message number, etc. will be helpful.

Also, in the http://www.mtu.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259 thread you will find what we like to see to troubleshoot a problem. :w

iculook
June 19th, 2002, 11:10 AM
It just stops and freezes up the computer

MTUSUPPORT
June 19th, 2002, 12:57 PM
ICULOOK,
The reason that you don't have a check box for DMA under Windows ME, means that your Motherboard in your computer, either doesn't support it or you will need updated drivers for your motherboard that will allow it to support it.

Without this, you won't beable to write over about 6x write speed. Your read in speed will be slower without it also. I would really try to contact the manufacturer of the computer to get these drivers, and hope that it works, or you might want to think about changing motherboards.

iculook
June 19th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Thanks to Brian, he advised me to download some drivers and that fixed the problem.
Thanks all for your support

mageew
June 28th, 2002, 02:21 PM
I am having the same problem with the same recorder. Just stops at 99% (some track not always the same). Just finished track 15 of 16, it will probably work this time, it did! I reloaded the program, reloaded the drivers from the CD. You are correct, No DMA listed in the control pannel for the drive. It worked this time I will try another soon. Contact me at Hossmagee@netscape.net if anyone learns more, Thanks a bunch!

MTUSUPPORT
June 28th, 2002, 03:50 PM
If you have no box for DMA listed, then you need to update the drivers for the Motherboard, from your computer Manufacturer, and this should take care of it.

iculook
June 29th, 2002, 12:17 PM
I will go to their website since it is a Compaq and seee what they have to offer.

mageew
June 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
I reloaded the board drivers, didn't work. Removed the burner from the system then re-installed it, same thing, no DMA. I am using a pci card with usb ports, my next step will be to switch the burner to the on board usb. Recording is the only problem, reading the disk to hard drive seems to be fine.

MTUSUPPORT
July 1st, 2002, 12:40 PM
If you are using a USB drive, then you won't ever get the DMA to show up. The DMA is only for the Internal IDE drives.

Do you have the External USB drive?

mageew
July 1st, 2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks, yes it is external, I found that I could not get a DMA reference after a lot of effort, still didn't know why! I read some of the early posts on this subject and reduced the record speed to 4X, haven't lost a disk since. Maybe someone can shed some light on why this slow speed is necessary. My system is an AMD 1.2 ghz with 512 meg of 133 memory, set for 256 bus with 40x-10x-40x writer, 40 gig HD 5200 rpm.

MTUSUPPORT
July 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Mageew,
You could put in a USB 2.0 card inside your computer and this would allow you to run it at 24x for the full write speed of that drive for Audio.