MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddie View Post
You are correct, typo... I used system restore, now back to 4.03

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:48 AM

Smile Hoster issues upon upgrades

Laddie, I to am one of the people that always seems to have problems when new versions of Hoster comes out ever since we went past the 3.4 version and/or Vista came out. Here is my 2 cents worth. Many of the people on these forums have helped me out numerous times and I DON"T want them to stop giving me advise but many times they are quick to try and blame our problems on our computers, you will constantly be told your video cards need new drivers, your hard drive sounds like it is going bad etc and this may be true but I have been using Hoster for a very long time and have fround from past experience that my computer has never been the issue (I also have the newest compuetrs with the most power and ram available). My problems have ALWAYS been with the Hoster upgrages and the problems have ALWAYS been solved eventually by MTU. I have numerous issues myself with 4.04. 4.03 worked good for me and 4.01 was a disaster. My answer right now is if you have a version that does work for you go back to that until the bugs are worked out of the version you are using. Don't get frantic thinking your computer is to blame or your hard drive is going out. Just hang in there. MTU will eventually fix the problems.

MY ONE WISH-quite adding features that are nice but you really don't need to run a show. All I want is a rock solid program that does not crash and plays the songs when they are suppose to. The more things they add that we really don't need is just more code that can interfer with the program.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
Laddie, I to am one of the people that always seems to have problems when new versions of Hoster comes out ever since we went past the 3.4 version and/or Vista came out. Here is my 2 cents worth. Many of the people on these forums have helped me out numerous times and I DON"T want them to stop giving me advise but many times they are quick to try and blame our problems on our computers, you will constantly be told your video cards need new drivers, your hard drive sounds like it is going bad etc and this may be true but I have been using Hoster for a very long time and have fround from past experience that my computer has never been the issue (I also have the newest compuetrs with the most power and ram available).
I am the one that handles the Support Tickets and Support Issues at MTU.com. I have been the main Support Manager since 1996. From my Experience over the past 12 Years, normally the software issues are related to computers, due to my experience I would say about 90% of the problems that I see, are caused by the computer not having all the updates or latest drivers. Now, there are bugs that can cause some issues also, but this is normally when we release new versions. We work quick at fixing these, as you know from past experience.

Quote:
My problems have ALWAYS been with the Hoster upgrages and the problems have ALWAYS been solved eventually by MTU. I have numerous issues myself with 4.04. 4.03 worked good for me and 4.01 was a disaster.
This does happen on some computers, but the majority it is working great for. This alot of times, may be a bug that only shows up on certain hardware. We have seen this quite a few times also.

Quote:
My answer right now is if you have a version that does work for you go back to that until the bugs are worked out of the version you are using. Don't get frantic thinking your computer is to blame or your hard drive is going out. Just hang in there. MTU will eventually fix the problems.
I agree with this point, if you have a Stable version then you can go back to it, you can also run Version 3.4 as stated here: http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?action=kb&article=98

Quote:
MY ONE WISH-quite adding features that are nice but you really don't need to run a show. All I want is a rock solid program that does not crash and plays the songs when they are suppose to. The more things they add that we really don't need is just more code that can interfer with the program.
We are adding features that alot of customers are requesting and have been requesting for years. This is what drives the features that we are adding. You can always go back to version 3.321a if you wish. This was a rock solid version.

We are always working on issues that are reported by customers. We have not seen any bugs yet, to be fixed under Hoster 4.004. We are still awaiting to see any problems show with this version, so we can work on it.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUSUPPORT View Post
We are always working on issues that are reported by customers. We have not seen any bugs yet, to be fixed under Hoster 4.004. We are still awaiting to see any problems show with this version, so we can work on it.
But still have a ticket (11994-7425081030) on 4.03 and the problem is worse in 4.04.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM

laddie,
I am also having the same exact problems you are having. 3.4 seems to work the best for me, however when reverting back to 3.4 from 4.04 after having all the audio drops, 3.4 came up great, only it came up with the previous rotation of songs that had already been sung, and none of the songs in the current rotaion. Needless to say, I had a lot of people walk out on me Saturday night. When I opened Task Manager, I noticed I was using between 5-36% and then all of a sudden it would slam 100%. I also noticed that there are about 50 different proccess running and I dont know which ones I can turn off if any. I said before that I was just going to use 3.4 for a while, but I just had to see if 4.04 would work. Maybe next time.
Pentium 4, 2.40 GHZ, 1.50 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
VIP

Scott, from everything I've read, audio dropouts may be linked to WMP. Did you upgrade it to WMP11 before installing 4.04?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 03:59 PM

As far as I know, media player 11 is for vista, media player 9 is for xp, and I have done every single upgrade possible, video, sound, computer, defrag.........
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
VIP

You're right. WMP11 came with Vista, but you might check your computer just to be sure. Did you do the Vista SP1?

Personally, I am still scared to upgrade my Vista. I still have 3.321 on it. I know I can always revert to 3.4, but then I would also have a problem with Playlists, so I am going to try to fix all my playlists first.

As for people walking out on your Saturday night - how rude! Was everything else working except the Playlist you had already created? If so, they would have only had to wait an extra minute each for you to re-add their songs when they came up to sing. What was their reason for just walking out?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM

Please excuse me, i was wrong, I do have WMP 11. Like I have said before I am not a Computer Wizzard.
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM

As for people walking out on your Saturday night - how rude! Was everything else working except the Playlist you had already created? If so, they would have only had to wait an extra minute each for you to re-add their songs when they came up to sing. What was their reason for just walking out?[/quote]

With all the sound glitches, and then the rotation getting screwed up (a couple of people got to sing twice in that rotation) I am telling you, I get some of the greatest singers, but they are all pre-madonnas. If it isnt perfect, they're gone.
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:30 PM

4.04 Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUSUPPORT View Post
I am the one that handles the Support Tickets and Support Issues at MTU.com. I have been the main Support Manager since 1996. From my Experience over the past 12 Years, normally the software issues are related to computers, due to my experience I would say about 90% of the problems that I see, are caused by the computer not having all the updates or latest drivers. Now, there are bugs that can cause some issues also, but this is normally when we release new versions. We work quick at fixing these, as you know from past experience.

This does happen on some computers, but the majority it is working great for. This alot of times, may be a bug that only shows up on certain hardware. We have seen this quite a few times also.

I agree with this point, if you have a Stable version then you can go back to it, you can also run Version 3.4 as stated here: http://www.mtu.com/kb/index.php?action=kb&article=98

We are adding features that alot of customers are requesting and have been requesting for years. This is what drives the features that we are adding. You can always go back to version 3.321a if you wish. This was a rock solid version.

There are nunerous post in the forums about problems with 4.04. Also when we do have problems, are we supposed to make out a support ticket? I have always just posted my problems in the forums. Maybe this is why no bugs are being reported.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottccook View Post
I also noticed that there are about 50 different proccess running and I dont know which ones I can turn off if any.
Try Black Viper's Web Site
It is a great resource to determine what you can live without. I reference it each time I install on my show machine.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:

I get some of the greatest singers, but they are all pre-madonnas. If it isnt perfect, they're gone.
Hey Scott,
I think we all get our share of these folks. I find it's best to stand firm on the fair rotation and let them go their way. If you use Hoster, your show will be one of the best in the area so they will come back one day. They alway do around here anyway.

When they ask for special treatment I'm never ugly to them, I just politely stand my ground and carry on. The funny thing to me is the best singers drink water, spend no money and clap for nobody which I think is kinda rude. Karaoke should be based on having fun, not on trying to start a singing career. There is no money in being a club karaoke singer, bad business decision in my opinion. They should buy some tracks and book some singing gigs, they can make money that way.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; September 23rd, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
VIP

Hey Jim, You're absolutely right about the "primadonnas". They're everywhere!!!!!!!! And yes, if they really are that good, go get your own gig!!!!! Now that the machinery is so cheap these days, everyone thinks they are a "pro", which would be OK if they had a better attitude. But those people do have a way of spoiling it for everyone else & take the fun out of Karaoke. I kinda miss the good ole days!!!!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird74 View Post
Hey Jim, You're absolutely right about the "primadonnas". They're everywhere!!!!!!!! And yes, if they really are that good, go get your own gig!!!!! Now that the machinery is so cheap these days, everyone thinks they are a "pro", which would be OK if they had a better attitude. But those people do have a way of spoiling it for everyone else & take the fun out of Karaoke. I kinda miss the good ole days!!!!

had a few of them too ( primadonnas), as soon as they walked in they wanted to sing right away, or they will give you an excuse that have have to leave early, i just plainly tell them to either wait for their turn or come in early next time..they don't even buy drinks, if they do they will order one drink and nursed it , ( those people i couldn't careless if they come back , come to think of it havent seen any of them for a while )
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyzz View Post
There are nunerous post in the forums about problems with 4.04. Also when we do have problems, are we supposed to make out a support ticket? I have always just posted my problems in the forums. Maybe this is why no bugs are being reported.
When you post a problem on this forum, the answer is available for all to benifit from and this is a good thing. Support tickets should only be used for regcode resets and other issues that have to be handled on MTU's end, in my opinion.

MTU takes note of every post that made on this forum. They are so busy that they do not have the time to respond to every post but they do see them and react accordingly. MTU is always alerted to any issue on the forum, we just don''t see it.

Thanks for participating!

Jim

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; September 23rd, 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
VIP

Yep. Just when you think no one is listening, on comes Admin and answers everyone's questions and lets you know what is being done to solve our problems!

XXYZZ - Whenever you've got the time, you can do a Search on this Forum & you will be amazed at all the posts from Admin & their answers to individuals & advice to all.
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:

This has happened three times now. It happened once with 4.02 and twice with 4.03. The music stops, lyrics stop. Stays this way for 10 to 15 seconds, and then continues, with music and lyrics starting from where they left off.
My machine has the latest driver updates and all MS updates with 1Gig of ram running XP.
I have two external drives, one for karaoke music and one for DJ music. I use BMP pro for DJ Music. BMP was open during the time it happened when 4.02 was installed, but not for the rest.
I probably have twice as many gigs with just DJ music and this only happens when running Hoster. I have run checkdisk on the drive, checked OK. I still think it could be a drive problem. I may have to replace the drive to verify it. Has anyone else experienced this or any suggestions other than the drive?
This is why I started this thread in the first place and it happened again Sat. nite with Hoster 4.5. The only difference was that the everything stopped for only 5 or 6 seconds. I have tried to re-create this, but there is no rhyme or reason. I have two external drives, one for karaoke music and on for DJ music. It has never happened when running my DJ app(BPM Pro).
I have purchased a new drive, but all the diagnostics say the my drive is OK. I am going to hold off on changing for a while. It had been 30 days and 18 shows since this happened last. There is one difference in the two drives, the DJ drive is NTFS and the Karaoke drive is Fat32. If you have any insight I would love to hear it.

Old October 13th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
laddie,
I am also having the same exact problems you are having. 3.4 seems to work the best for me, however when reverting back to 3.4 from 4.04 after having all the audio drops, 3.4 came up great, only it came up with the previous rotation of songs that had already been sung, and none of the songs in the current rotaion. Needless to say, I had a lot of people walk out on me Saturday night. When I opened Task Manager, I noticed I was using between 5-36% and then all of a sudden it would slam 100%. I also noticed that there are about 50 different proccess running and I dont know which ones I can turn off if any. I said before that I was just going to use 3.4 for a while, but I just had to see if 4.04 would work. Maybe next time.
We have fixed the Playlist not being updated. As early Hoster users know, our Playlist has always been updated after every CHANGE. This takes some compute time that can happen while a song is playing.

In our attempt to solve the "out of sync" problems that appeared in 4.0x, without MY knowledge, one of our programmers disabled the Playlist auto-updating during a show. Well, with the Show Display always running now, that turns out to NEVER update the Playlist.

As President, I mandated we immediately (4.06) restore updating the Playlist with EVERY CHANGE... PERIOD! This is one feature I will NOT sacrifice to try to "fix sync". There are other causes, and this is not the culprit.
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
This is why I started this thread in the first place and it happened again Sat. nite with Hoster 4.05. The only difference was that everything stopped for only 5 or 6 seconds. I have tried to re-create this, but there is no rhyme or reason. I have two external drives, one for karaoke music and on for DJ music. It has never happened when running my DJ app(BPM Pro).
I have purchased a new drive, but all the diagnostics say the my drive is OK. I am going to hold off on changing for a while. It had been 30 days and 18 shows since this happened last. There is one difference in the two drives, the DJ drive is NTFS and the Karaoke drive is Fat32. If you have any insight I would love to hear it.
Laddie, this is a new one for us.

Thanks for pointing out the NTFS/FAT32 difference. I'm feeding this to Engineering for analysis, and to see if they have any suggestions what might be causing your halting.