MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Vogone & Vogone Easy Software > Vogone Help

Vogone Help Post Vogone questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 10th, 2001, 02:57 AM

Vogone 2 not working

As noted in a conversation with Dave Cox, computers with a AMD K6 450 processor do not process properly in Vogone 2. There is a skipping or sputtering as if the track is not being processed fast enough.

Also not happy with the results of Vogone 2. There has to be a better way.
Old August 10th, 2001, 07:31 AM

I am afraid there is no better way at present than Vogone 2.

Some people have even mentioned high costing hardware and software don't to as good a job as Vogone 2

Mixed results are par for the course, suppose its because the original files are recorded by various people using various methods which in turn gives varied results in devocalizing.
1024MB DDR RAM
256MB ATi Radeon 9800SE
Realtek AC97 On Board Audio

Laptop
Windows XP Home - Service Pack 2
Intel Celeron 2.8ghz
1gb Ram
Radeon IGP 345M
Old August 10th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Exclamation AMD K6 and K6-2 Processors

The K6 family has 1/4 the floating-point computational power of other processors at the same clock speed.

The AMD K6 processors use a 1-pipeline floating point processor. All other processors (Intel-Celeron or Pentium, AMD-Duron or Athelon) use a 4-pipeline floating point processor.

All computations in Vogone 2 are done in floating point. Thus, the hardware "pipelines" for floating point computations are very important. Fewer means less computations per second can be done, reducing how fast we can compute the sound.

What does it sound like when the sound does not compute live It sputters as blocks of samples come out of the pipeline and then play.

We are evaluating Vogone to see if we can recompile to allow using single pipeline processing without loosing performance. This is like turning the car around and going in reverse. We need more compute power, not less! More filters will do a better job than less. Don't worry, we won't reduce the number of filters or the quality. However, it is worth trying to make Vogone 2 work on the K6.

In the heat of developing a new technology, one does not always consider the lowest processor limitations to run on. We are guilty. So, now that we know this problem exists, we are addressing it.
Old August 13th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Frequent Member

This may explain why I have had poor quality on my vogne 1 files as well. I run an AMD K-62 500 Megahertz machine. I get the spurts that are being talked about here. Thanks for the info.
Old August 13th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Gentlepersons,

It turns out that it is not easy to make Vogone 2 run on the K6 or 62. There just isn't enough power. We are being asked to do more, not less.

I hate to say it but you have two options:

1. We will refund your purchase of Vogone 2
2. You can replace your motherboard and processor.

Think about it carefully and let us know what you want to do.
Old August 14th, 2001, 11:04 PM
Frequent Member

will upgrade and pay the full price once I change my motherboard and processor. I want to be able to use my songs with more than just my own system. There are contests that I would have better chances of winning with some of the stuff I'm producing and the show hosts just don't have the right equipment to lower the LV's on my songs.
Besides I need a bigger Hard drive anyway what's one more upgrade lol.
Old August 15th, 2001, 02:47 PM

www.tigerdirect.com have several motherboard/CPU bundles for a very good price. Check it out...

NOTE: I had to updgrade because of the same problem.
Old August 17th, 2001, 12:19 AM
Frequent Member

Talked to a computer expert friend of mine that is making me wonder if it is HD space and RAM memory that's at fault and not CPU speed. He says unless you're doing major business functions that use more than one program at a time any computer that runs at 450 mhz should be able to run any music oriented program. Just wondering if that is the case. I am running my system at AMD K6-2 500 mhz with 64 mb ram & a HD that is virtually full- although I was able to free up a little over 2 Gigs of memory on my D drive.
Old August 17th, 2001, 01:04 AM

TRUST THEM DANNY

I HAD THE AMD K6 ALSO, BUT AS TO MY PHONE CALL TO MTU THEY TOLD ME THAT IT WOULDN'T WORK. BUT I ALSO HAVE SEEN THAT THEY ARE EXPLORING THIS PROBLEM. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED IT'S NOT A BAD INVESTMENT TO GET THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT TO DO THE JOB. THESE GUY HAVE DONE WONDERS AND ARE STILL TRYING TO. I HAVE UPGRADED AND HAVE THE RIGHT STUFF. JUST REMEMBER IT REDUCES THE VOICE NOT DELETE IT. NOT A BAD PRICE FOR WHAT IT CAN DO. LOL
AS I QUOTED IN MY OTHER POST I HAVE DONE BUSINESS WITH MTU SINCE 1999 AND I AM WELL SATISFIED.
Old August 18th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Frequent Member

it is if you don't have to upgrade and the problem lies within how much memory you are using for stuff like windows, Vogone1 or 2, video buffer and the like. I believe I will try upgrading my memory before doing anything as drastic as totally changing computers. I don't have that kind of money. I just got ahold of enough memory that I think I'll be able to run all those things with no porblem will let ypu know if it works if and when it does.
Old August 23rd, 2001, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Memory suggestion...

64MB may be too small. 128MB would be sufficient. We still don't think it will solve the problem. The K6/K6-2 is just not capable. As to your computer friend, business SW does not use Floating-Point math. He should know this. The rounding errors would kill any accounting accuracy. The floating point calculations we are doing in Vogone are designed to max out a 350MHz processor with (it turns out) a 4-pipeline floating point processor.

As to hard drive space, if the input file is on the hard drive, there is clearly sufficient space. Since Vogone does not use hard drive space to compute its sound live, the HD makes no difference for the computations. When you write the processed file back to disk, you either have the space or you don't. I.E. the hard drive does not affect the program operation at all.

It's actually quite easy to understand. The number of "taps" in the filters determine the quality, rolloff sharpness, passband ripple, etc. are limited by the processing power available. I gave our programmer instructions to use all the available power (i.e. machine microcycles) on a 350MHz. That means probably no other SW will run at the same time with Vogone 2 on a 350Mhz.

If we increase the number of filter taps (i.e. require an 800MHz 4-pipeline processor or higher), we might get better sound/vocal reduction. However, that will restrict who can run Vogone 2+, and still won't reduce the reverb-echoes that everyone is wanting to go away.