View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Maybe not, but I can't say for sure as I wasn't taking part in the quality control tests at the factory either.

Most likely, Apple had many computers in a controlled environment compared to many computers in a "smoking" environment, and a certain percentage of those even in the controlled environment still failed or problems arose before their standard warrantee guideline time. A slightly higher percentage than expected either had problems or failed in the smoking environment. Also, before the test began, a set of criteria was most likely established ( a cut-off percentage of failures) to determine if there was a significant difference in the two environments. If a statistical difference was shown to be 95% likely (this involves complex engineering statistics), then their original hypothesis is considered valid, and they felt that action be taken based on that.

I know, I sound like a know it all, but I did this kind of work in a manufacturing company a few years back.
You kidding right?
This is not a technical issue, it is a PEOPLE issue. This case is more akin to being politically correct, or guarding against sexual harassment.
Someone somewhere decided, on their own, that this was a way to get out of work. The company looks at the situation and decides they can run with it and save some money by screwing people out of their warranties.
Besides that, who is going to stand up for a bunch of nasty smokers anyways. You can get away with just about anything when it comes to smoker's persecution. Look at all the idiotic taxes they have manufactured. Just add this to the list. You know the only tobacco product that doesn't have an exorbitant tax? Cigars. Who smokes cigars? Lawmakers and big businessmen.

Now tell me again that this is a machine problem, or show me the data from the study.