View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Thinking OUT of the box...

Hi all,

I woke of this morning... and was recapping recent thoughts I posted about the MicroSound...

I was up late removing Norton Antivirus completely from my computer. A friend told me to use AVG FREE... and so now have it installed. It's been said... that Norton Anti-Virus IS a virus... and that impacting thought, along with thoughts we've all shared about WHAT IF MicroSound could be redesigned. And I had some crazy thoughts... (not unusual for me).

I know this is way OUT THERE... but so what, here it is:

MicroSound IS NOT BROKEN. It's the best editorial tool anyone could ask for. The other programs are also nice, WaveLab, ProTools, SoundForge and several of the others. My pondering question is: WHY RE-INVENT what already exists? Are improvements needed in MicroEditor? YES... but not a complete RE-DESIGN.

MicroSound has weaknesses... and so do the others... but, EDITING and MIXING sound is the MOST VALUABLE part of producing music or audio posting, sound effects design and etc. FOR FILM production. And MicroSound already provides VERY POWERFUL editing and mixing tools.

So what "could" be done? I'm thinking crazy maybe... but with the VST and DirectX technologies... and perhaps some I don't know of... why couldn't a NEWER version of MicroEditor be designed to IMPORT key segements software like ProTools, WaveLab or others? As if MicroEditor was hub editor that used the resources of OTHER programs. As if MicroEditor was THE HOST program to all of the others!! So if someone had ProTools, MicroEditor would pull in the audio files, allow for an EDIT and MIX... and then either SAVE as a MicroEditor project or SAVED back to the imported ProTools project. ProTools would function as the IMPORTED software/format/resource... and of course MicroEditor would be thus LINKED to ProTools hardware. If MicroEditor was a HOST... it would use whatever HARDWARE the software it HOSTED uses. I know this sounds RIDICULOUS. I am not a software designer. But may the THOUGHT may spark an idea. But my point is that MICROSOUND doesn't necessarily NEED to re-invent itself when there's SO MANY USEFUL programs already. Maybe there's a way to KEEP MicroEditor intact AS THE TOOL IT ALREADY EXCELS AT BEING... (with changes of course).

Or... could MicroEditor have a component via VST or DIRECTX... to be IMPORTED into programs like ProTools or others to FUNCTION as a ALTERNATE editorial tool WITHIN HOST programs?

In any case... one thing is certain... MicroEditor must be able to use 3rd party HARDWARE... and IF that could be accomplished, maybe some of the ideas above could spark development along this line of thinking. (And no... I'm not suggesting being Baker Acted).

MicroEditor is already the best tool for CREATIVE audio production... and it is because of the CONCEPTS and PHILOSOPHIES that produced its design. MicroEditor is what, 15 +/- years old... but conceptually... it's 15 years ahead of the other programs in the simplistic POWER it gives the user for BUILDING and CREATING/MANIPULATING sound elements. Can't you see the headlines in Mix Magazine: "MTU Debuts ULTIMATE HOST DAW!" Imagine how powerful it would be if MicroEditor could become the CENTRAL HOST software to all of the others!!!! Every time THEY upgraded their software, MicroEditor would automatically be improved! Micro Editor becomes the TROJAN HORSE of all editors!!! Crazy huh?

My software-code-dumb 2 cents... or maybe it's the coffee this morning?

Last edited by Gary Boggess; October 14th, 2007 at 01:56 PM.