View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Frequent Member

ditto on most of this..

Isn't AU somehow related to Core Audio (the Mac protocol)? I'm really not up to speed on Macs.

rich's info is right on....Waves is an interesting model. They do definitely provide direct support (I have been on the phone with guys from Israel more than once, but after a day delay with e-mail contact), but it does cost you. Because their plug-ins are so darn good, people are willing to pay. I probably have way over $2k invested in them, if you include the update contracts (plus I have one of their cards for my DM2000).....The Ilok thing is a pain, but so is the USB dongle, which everyone is going to now....Pretty crazy to have thousands tied up in a $30 piece of plastic hanging off the back of your computer.

So, there are models that have people paying big bucks....but even I searched around for an endorsement or educational deal before I got Nuendo 3 (worked out an endorsement deal through a musician friend who was already in the pipeline)....It still cost $850......Even Waves, however, has lots of bundles that cost around $400. That does seem to be the price where everyone is interested if they think the quality is there.

ASIO is the only game in town for quality interface with multichannel capacity on the card.