View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Hello all, old friends,

3 weeks ago the motherboard on my MicroSound computer failed so I decided it was time to upgrade to ME 5.5, XP Pro, and a P4 system. I upgraded my video system with an Intel D850MVL, P4, XP Pro last summer so I’m pretty familiar with this. My video computer is rock solid. I believe XP Pro is the best OS since Win98SE.

I put together the new MicroSound system in a hurry ‘cause I had a big project to do that lasted several weeks, a very complex playlist, many hundreds of segments. I experienced some of the problems that others have described.

*<> I’ve experienced the exact same problem that Alan Brown described. I started seeing this when the project got large and complicated. It seemed like it started happening after many hours of editing and when it occurred, it happened regularly.

*I have seen a ton of weirdness with EQ, DirectX, some that others described and a lot more. See below as to what I think is a solution for this.

*Occasionally ME would lock up the computer in the “open project” dialog.

*Way too often ME would suddenly re-boot, ouch, what a drag. Not only would it re-boot under ME, but with other programs as well (CD writing, large file copies from one drive to another, etc.). Hopefully I have this solved

I managed to get through this project and had time to think of possible fixes. First thing is, (I understand ME 5.5 might have to be tweaked) I was told Krystal can share IRQs now (better?) with a P4 board and XP. I’m not so sure. If EQ and DirectX are locking up, it’s telling me that Krystal and the sound card should not share an interrupt. If large file transfers are locking up maybe Krystal and the storage controller should not share an interrupt. So I tried Krystal in a some different slots, made sure it did NOT share an interrupt (it seems to use 2 IRQs now with XP and P4 board) and now it is behaving a LOT better. Time will tell but so far no more lockups. EQ and DirectX seem to be working fine. To those who are experiencing these problems you might consider changing slots and reconfiguring IRQs.

As for NTFS vs. Fat32, I definitely dislike NTFS for a bunch of reasons. I have Partition Magic but didn’t use it to set up my system drive. I’d like to hear more about this subject.

Let’s keep this thread going it’s very helpful.

Rob Haines