MTU.Community

MTU.Community (http://forum.mtu.com/index.php)
-   Hoster Help (http://forum.mtu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Transferring Complete Files to Another Computer (http://forum.mtu.com/showthread.php?t=10989)

dbeland50 November 4th, 2008 07:14 PM

Transferring Complete Files to Another Computer

Well, I am thoroughly impressed with the way Hoster has allowed me to upload my old cdg/mp3 files from one external hard-drive, converts them over to KMA files, and saves them to another external hard-drive. However, have a question for those who know.
I am doing all my conversions on my desktop with the intention of uploading all the new KMA files (via external drive) to my presentation laptop. As such, would the easiest way to maintain the integrity of the songbook's association with the external drive's KMA files be by copying the MTU/Hoster folder off my "C" drive to the same folder location in the laptop's "C" drive? I would think this "mirror" would work smoothly, but need a second opinion.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

ddouglass November 4th, 2008 09:39 PM

Only one way to find out...try it and see. I would either rename the folder on the laptop to Hoster_old or copy it to another location to preserve it, before you copy the desktop one to the laptop. If Hoster gives you all kinds of problems then delete the new folder and rename/move the original back.

dbeland50 November 5th, 2008 05:06 PM

Well folks, tried and succeeded...YEAH!! Directly copied the desktop's KMA file into the laptop's KMA file, the executed Hoster, selected SongDatabase, then hit Rebuild. It loaded everything perfectly. All I had to then was recreate the SongBook on the laptop & wha-lah!! Works great!

Beavis November 5th, 2008 08:00 PM

thats why we always back up our files and keep them in a safe place !

dbeland50 November 5th, 2008 08:59 PM

My plan is to keep the KMA files on the laptop for speed access & all the master files on my external. Folks...this software rocks. Anybody using anything else besides Hoster are crazy. Way to go MTU!! Can't wait to see future enhancements!!

dbeland50 November 8th, 2008 06:57 PM

Another question for the Hoster gurus. The MTU folder titled Hoster...if I copy the entire contents over to the laptop from my desktop, similar to what I did with the external KMA file, will it screw up the software already loaded in the laptop? In other words, are there items in the Hoster folder that should not be over-written to protect the license integrity?

Beavis November 8th, 2008 07:25 PM

the software needs to be installed, you cant drab and drop it on another computer. if you put all you KMA's on another computer that already has Kma's on it you will run into problems.

ddouglass November 9th, 2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbeland50 (Post 85461)
Another question for the Hoster gurus. The MTU folder titled Hoster...if I copy the entire contents over to the laptop from my desktop, similar to what I did with the external KMA file, will it screw up the software already loaded in the laptop? In other words, are there items in the Hoster folder that should not be over-written to protect the license integrity?

It really isn't a good idea. Since those files pertain only to that installation, then yes you could mess-up your screen settings and datbase for the laptop installation. Nothing with the license part, but just the operation of the work you have already done in the laptop copy of Hoster.

dbeland50 November 9th, 2008 02:01 AM

Roger that...thanks for the update. Thought to try & report on results, but rather listen to those who know. Appreciate it.