MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM

Exclamation Microstudio 4.006a waveInOpen play error in Vista 32-bit

When I try to play a song in Microstudio an error window pops up that says "waveInOpen: Invalid device identifier." and when I stop a song an error window pops up that says "waveInReset: Invalid handle.". You claim this error was fixed in 4.006, but it appears in my version of 4.006a. How can I fix this?????? My Vista is fully up-to-date.

I have tried all the 'fixes' in these threads, but none work. You claim that 4.006 does not have this problem and yet it does. What do you (MTU) claim is the solution? Do I have to install some separate program to fix your program? If so, which program? Please provide a download link. Do I have to move files and folders? If so, which files and folders and from where to where?

You claim Microstudio works with Vista, and right now, smack-dab out of the box, it doesn't, so please tell me specifically what to do to fix this. I paid for it and just want it to work like it's supposed to.

Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Do a Google search for Wave Editors and find one that is free. They all set the right registry keys. Install it and this will hopefully fix the problem. That is the solution that has worked for most. The reason for the error is Vista and Xp do not have the correct settings for WAV files. Medai Player should have taken care of this but for some reason doesn't.

If you have any Microstudio folders in the C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio or C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio\Manual then they need to be moved to C:\MTU\Microstudio.
Also if you have any Microstudio files/folders in C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Local Settings\Application Data\MTU\Microstudio they need to be moved to C:\MTU\Microstudio as well.

Microstudio does work for the majority of the users both on Vista and XP otherwise MTU would have pulled it back and tried to fix it. Version 4.006 has been out for quite a while now. Just because you have a problem does not mean the version is not working for others. I understand your frustration but it doesn't help to get the problem solved.

When you say your Vista is "fully up to date does this mean you have been to Microsoft's Update web page and installed all the "Custom" updates or that you have the Auto update turned on and updating your computer? If it is the latter then that does not get all the updates necessary.

What version of Microstudio did you upgrade from?
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Do a Google search for Wave Editors and find one that is free. They all set the right registry keys. Install it and this will hopefully fix the problem. That is the solution that has worked for most. The reason for the error is Vista and Xp do not have the correct settings for WAV files. Medai Player should have taken care of this but for some reason doesn't.
Already installed WavePad (I think that was the name) and it didn't fix this problem. Also, I've had Audacity installed for quite a while which theoretically should have fixed this too.

Quote:
If you have any Microstudio folders in the C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio or C:\Program Files\Micro Technology Unlimited\Microstudio\Manual then they need to be moved to C:\MTU\Microstudio.
Also if you have any Microstudio files/folders in C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Local Settings\Application Data\MTU\Microstudio they need to be moved to C:\MTU\Microstudio as well.
I will check this...I know MTU didn't create a c:\mtu folder (like the staff claims).

Quote:
Microstudio does work for the majority of the users both on Vista and XP otherwise MTU would have pulled it back and tried to fix it. Version 4.006 has been out for quite a while now. Just because you have a problem does not mean the version is not working for others. I understand your frustration but it doesn't help to get the problem solved.
Several users do/did have the same exact issue or this wouldn't be the fourth thread about it. I never claimed it didn't work for others, just that it didn't work for me. If MTU depends upon other programs 'fixing' registry issues in Vista, but won't work with Vista as Vista is shipped and fixed by Microsoft, then this definitely is MTU's mistake for not providing a fix to users like me.

Quote:
When you say your Vista is "fully up to date does this mean you have been to Microsoft's Update web page and installed all the "Custom" updates or that you have the Auto update turned on and updating your computer? If it is the latter then that does not get all the updates necessary.
All required and custom updates from Microsoft and hardware vendors have been applied.

Quote:
What version of Microstudio did you upgrade from?
I did not upgrade Microstudio. I bought 4.006a last week and installed it and got this problem.

So, to sum up, I'll look into the folder thing you mentioned (thanks by the way). I've tried all the other 'solutions' and none worked for me. I'll report back tomorrow with my results.

BTW, thanks for your help...just noticed you're a mod, but not an MTU guy, so I appreciate you taking the time to help. If MTU wasn't so gung ho about refusing to help customers my attitude would've been a little nicer, but as it is they're still refusing to help and letting you do it instead...what a great company :(
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbsok View Post
I will check this...I know MTU didn't create a c:\mtu folder (like the staff claims).
It should have created C:\MTU\Microstudio\Recorded Songs and C:\MTU\Songs (and all the folders included in the path.) These are default paths until you change them.

Quote:
Several users do/did have the same exact issue or this wouldn't be the fourth thread about it. I never claimed it didn't work for others, just that it didn't work for me. If MTU depends upon other programs 'fixing' registry issues in Vista, but won't work with Vista as Vista is shipped and fixed by Microsoft, then this definitely is MTU's mistake for not providing a fix to users like me.
You are referring to 3 other threads with varying dates back to 2007 which would incompass at least a couple versions and compared to the number of users of Microstudio I would say that is only a drop in the bucket.

Quote:
I did not upgrade Microstudio. I bought 4.006a last week and installed it and got this problem.
Then you may not have a file location problem, because you shouldn't have any files left over in those locations.

Quote:
BTW, thanks for your help...just noticed you're a mod, but not an MTU guy, so I appreciate you taking the time to help. If MTU wasn't so gung ho about refusing to help customers my attitude would've been a little nicer, but as it is they're still refusing to help and letting you do it instead...what a great company :(
I and a lot of other users in these forums try to help get peoples problems solved first. Believe me there is a lot of program and computer experienced people in here helping. If it comes down to a problem that we can't solve or known fixes don't help, then MTU Support steps in an tries. This takes a big load and a lot of wasted time off of him if we can solve it without his having to get involved. MTU is not a big company like Microsoft.

Did you restart your computer after installing the WavePad?
Another thing you may need to do is turn off the UAC (User Access Control). If you need instructions how let me know.
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:15 PM

i was just reading a thread ( july 27,2007 post # 2 )about this and someone had installed a program with wave editor and i think this got it fixed
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i was just reading a thread ( july 27,2007 post # 2 )about this and someone had installed a program with wave editor and i think this got it fixed
We already discussed that, he tried one, and it didn't fix it.
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
It should have created C:\MTU\Microstudio\Recorded Songs and C:\MTU\Songs (and all the folders included in the path.) These are default paths until you change them.
Well, it put the 'songs' folders in my docs and settings path, so I moved it to c: like you suggested. The MTU/Microstudio folder was in my local settings directory, so I moved it to c: like you suggested.

Quote:
Did you restart your computer after installing the WavePad?
Another thing you may need to do is turn off the UAC (User Access Control). If you need instructions how let me know.
Yes, the computer was restarted after every event. UAC is off.

After moving all the folders out of the docs and settings directory it still has the same problem, even after rebooting.

BTW, every time I hit record MTU creates the Recorded Songs folder in docs and settings even though I changed the folder to c:\mtu. The recording is saved in c:\mtu, so the docs and settings path is hard-wired into Microstudio, contrary to what it's authors say.

It's also recreating the MTU/Microstudio folder in docs and settings every time, despite the fact that I moved that too.

Also, when saving writing lists, it always defaults to the mtu/microstuio folder it creates in the docs and settings directory...I saved one in c:\mtu directory and it still went back to the docs and settings directory after that.

MTU claims they put stuff in the Program Data folder to avoid this problem, but yet they actually kept it all in the docs and settings folders, which is a direct contradiction to their 'solution' to this known problem.

Any other suggestions? MTU still hasn't replied to my ticket :(

Last edited by jackbsok; April 1st, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM

Unhappy

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling to different location in program files, default location in program files and in programdata folders.

NOTHING WORKS.
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Are you comfortable working with the registry?
If so do the following steps. Do exactly what each step says and in the order it says.
  1. Left click the Start Menu and click Run.
  2. Type in regedit and click OK or Open.
  3. Go to the very top of the Registry Editor. It you already see the Registry Keys expanded below, skip this step and go to the next step. Click the + beside My Computer.
  4. Click the + Beside HKEY_CURRENT_USER
  5. Click the + beside SOFTWARE
  6. Click the + beside Micro Technology Unlimited
  7. Click the + beside Microstudio
  8. Click Default to select it. WARNING! Be VERY careful to have this exact location selected. If not and you proceed, you could damage your Windows installation, requiring it to be re-installed to fix it. BE VERY CAREFUL! With Default selected, press the Delete Key Click Yes when it asks you if you are sure.
  9. Click the X in the Top Right corner to close the Registry Editor.
  10. Open Microstudio. It will be as if you started from scratch.
This will clear you registry entries and should point everything to the right folders.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM

All the settings in that part of the registry were spot-on. I deleted anyway, but to no avail :(

MTU finally replied and said I had an unsupported sound card. They blindly suggested that I update my sound card drivers (which I had already done) or buy a new sound card. I replied requesting why there is no sound card information in their requirements and more importantly, why my sound card 'doesn't work' (according to them) when it does play sound and record correctly in their program. I then asked why they're throwing bogus errors saying my sound card doesn't work when in fact it does. I haven't received a reply from those questions yet.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Honor Roll

I went back and read the thread. You never mentioned which sound card you have, I do remember a discussion about different sound cards, but I don't remember specifically what cards we were talking about. I remember it had something to do with hardware vs software acceleration. When I did the research then, it was a problem reported in other program forums too. Again, this is only from my very shaky memory. It had something to do with the driver software being non-standard. Post your specific card and see if we can offer some help.

As far as changing sound cards, I have one that is USB, requires no drivers, and is the size of a thumb drive. It only cost $10 and does the trick. The only reason I got it was to avoid using the headphone out on my laptop. I was getting noise, and I don't like sending a powered out to my mixer, and that was the easiest/cheapest way to go. It doesn't even have a brand name on it. I got it off Ebay.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

That's a shame. I was going to ask you what kind it was since I have a laptop we use for backup and I am not happy with the headphone output.
Jack, open the registry as before, going through to step 8 but do not delete the folder. Look in the right column and find the key called "CurRecordFolder" and tell me what it says in the right column. If it doesn't have "C:\MTU\Microstudio\Recorded Songs\" right click on the left column "CurRecordFolder and click modify. Change it to the above path.
As to the listing and import folders you can control these from within the program itself. When you open the import there is a place to tell it where to save the imported files. For the main list the Browse button above it controls where you are looking for those.
As for your original problem I am not sure how the sound card can cause those error messages, but I will talk to Support and see what he is thinking on this. If my memory hasn't failed me it was the Realtek sound card that has given the problems. These are usually on-board cards and not worth a plugged nickel anyway. When I got my Dell desktop model a while back they had disabled the on-board and added a Soundblaster card to their machines.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
If it doesn't have "C:\MTU\Microstudio\Recorded Songs\" right click on the left column "CurRecordFolder and click modify. Change it to the above path.
It has the right path already.

Quote:
As to the listing and import folders you can control these from within the program itself. When you open the import there is a place to tell it where to save the imported files. For the main list the Browse button above it controls where you are looking for those.
Yes, I know that...I just think it's silly for MTU to not have an editable default for these too.

Quote:
As for your original problem I am not sure how the sound card can cause those error messages, but I will talk to Support and see what he is thinking on this. If my memory hasn't failed me it was the Realtek sound card that has given the problems. These are usually on-board cards and not worth a plugged nickel anyway. When I got my Dell desktop model a while back they had disabled the on-board and added a Soundblaster card to their machines.
I'm stumped as to why the error message is there at all since the sound does work. I do have on-board Realtek, so it seems that may be the problem, although I don't know why MTU won't put this in their requirements since it's apparently a known problem. I'll try to find a cheap USB sound card and plug it in to see if that fixes the bogus error windows.

I'll report again tomorrow.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM

this is just a question and maybe even out of the topic, but is your pc/laptop a media center edition?..the reason i asked was i had an ext. soundcard that i used to used and if i can recall i was getting the same error when using microstudio, there are some ext. soundcard that is not compatible with windows media center edition..( sorry i didnt noticed you have vista..)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM

Unhappy

Well the USB sound card didn't help at all, so that solution doesn't work either :(
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

By that I am guessing the error message hasn't gone away. I have been trying to research it on the internet and so far have not found any other solutions.
What types of file are you trying to play (BIN, MP3, WAV, etc) that you get the errors on?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM

Unhappy

Yep, the error messages are still there.

They appear when I play .bin, .mp3, and .zip (I haven't tried any others).

They also appear whenever I hit the record button (which is recording in .wav).

This seems to be an error that pops up WHENEVER the sound card is accessed (whether it's just input, output, or both).

Again, ALL input and output work just fine, it's just that Microstudio produces the error messages every single time FOR NO REAL REASON.

Told MTU about the USB sound card not working, but still no response from them :(
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

When you plugged in the USB sound card did you turn off the internal one? This has to be done in the bios settings.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM

i'm not sure if this will help, and i'm not sure how vista is setup, but if you can look in your computer system info,/device, and look for anything with a yellow question mark or explanation , maybe you can look up for the drivers and download them...
Old April 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM

Yep, disabled the internal sound card via device manager and bios, but still no help.

And nothing in device manager is yellowed...everything's working just fine.

Again, this is looking more and more like a problem internal to Microstudio...some bogus programming error that can't tell when the audio is really working.