MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 4th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Copy and record a mix of Audio and CD+g tracks

I'm thinking of buying Microstudio, because my other program will not allow me to include audio only tracks with my karaoke (CD+G) tracks. Does Microstudio have this feature? Can I burn a disc of both audio and karaoke tracks?

Thanks,
Wes
Old November 5th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Post Re: Copy and record a mix of Audio and CD+g tracks

Wrahn,
I believe you can, by just treating all your files as cdg files. If your wav file has no graphics subcode data it'll still play the music.

You might be able to mix and match also but worse come to worse this method should work.

Hope this helps.
Wally
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Re: Copy and record a mix of Audio and CD+g tracks

Quote ...by just treating all your files as cdg files.
I am not sure what this implies, so I am not sure if it is clear to Wrahn what to do. Perhaps it is perfectly clear.

If not:

Here's what I would do if I needed a disc of cdg karaoke and normal audio songs.

I would take my original discs (both cdg audio and normal audio) and import all tracks on the CDG setting. These can then be burned together by microstudio as a Karaoke cdg disc.

If you only have wave or other music files and cdg files, then you have some options. (It kind of depends on your volume of files)

Convert non-wave to wave, then wave to cdg using KPRO (You don't need to get a whole set of lyrics if it's just for listening. I did this once, using only the name of the song. Perhaps that is not even necessary)

or

Make a cd of any music files and then import as cdg, using Microstudio

Good Luck
Old November 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the wonderful input to my question.

Wes
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:01 AM

A clear answer for the "BUYING DECISION"

Using Microstudio, you can definitely take an Audio Disc and a CDG Karaoke Disc and make a compilation of tracks from both discs. I have done it.

There may be various methods to do this, but Microstudio can do it.

(Now I am responding to one of the responses.)

Quote:

I believe you can, by just treating all your files as cdg files. If your wav file has no graphics subcode data it'll still play the music.

Does that mean that you can include a wave file with a cdg file if you change the name of the extension? (i.e. change "FLY ME TO THE MOON.WAV" to "FLY ME TO THE MOON.CDG")

Last edited by jahern; November 16th, 2004 at 09:09 AM.
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:10 AM

jahern,
I have not made a mix of both .cdg & .wav on one disc but I know you can include .wav files changed to .cdg and write them to a disc and play them in any CD player. Just as you can play a .cdg in a regular CD player.

But if Microstudio is capable of mixing the two formats then there is no need to do this.

Wally
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:10 PM

Two points.

1. I hope I haven't made people think that Microstudio can mix the two formats. Microstudio doesn't do this. It has to be either all wave or all cdg. There are ways to accomplish what I think wants to be accomplished and I have already suggested how.

2. Wallymeister, when you say ".wav files changed to .cdg ", what process are you suggesting?
Old November 17th, 2004, 07:00 AM

jahern
I am simply saying that if you take a .wav file and rename it .cdg and then import into microstudio along with actual .cdg files to a disc, Microstudio really doesn't care that there is no graphics sub code. It will burn the wav portion (which is the music part) and then when you play the song there will just be no graphics on that song. (Thus allowing you to essentially mix wav and cdg files.)

If I am wrong about this I sorry. I haven't actually done this myself but I believe it is possible because a cdg is really nothing more than a wav file with sub codes.

Hope this explains?
Wally
Old November 17th, 2004, 08:18 AM

As Jahern explained above you simply select the CDG button on the Microstudio import page and import the .WAV files as though they were CDG's.

You can then mix them anyway you desire with regular CDG files when you burn to disc..

Changing the extension of a .WAV to .CDG won't work. When you go to write it you get an Invalid Cue Sheet error message.

George
Old November 17th, 2004, 10:32 AM

Question Re: Copy and record a mix of Audio and CD+g tracks

George,
Thanks for clearing this issue up. I guess I misunderstood something here.

When you click the cdg button, will microstudio bring up .wav files to add to custom compilation list? Or will it just show you .cdg file ext's?

I'll play around with this tonight to see exactly what it will and won't do.
Wally
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:59 AM

Quote:
When you click the cdg button, will microstudio bring up .wav files to add to custom compilation list? Or will it just show you .cdg file ext's?

We need to clear up terminology here. Let's call a cdg disc "Karaoke CD+G", and the other listening disc as "Audio" (Microstudio terms).

When you select to burn a Karaoke CD+G disc, only cdg files will be recognized as useable in your compilation. For an Audio disc, only wave files

Finally got my fingers dirty and changed the extension of .wav to .cdg on some files. As George correctly said, although Microstudio included these files in a compilation with other legitimate cdg files, the compilation would not burn and I got the "Invalid Cue Sheet" message.

When you take a normal Audio disc and import the tracks as CDG, these files are useable in a "Karaoke CD+G" compilation and you can burn the disc. You can have Karaoke with graphics and songs with no graphics all on the same disc. However the files used to create the disc will all have the .cdg extension. I wouldn't say that the files created this way were ever "Wave" files, but that's just me.
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahern
I wouldn't say that the files created this way were ever "Wave" files, but that's just me.[/u]
Don't see the rational in saying they weren't ever .wav files. That's how they started out, wasn't it?

And that's exactly what they still are.

When imported through Microstudio as .CDG,which is the file extension for a CD+G compilation, they remain the .WAV portion(CD) of the CD+G. The +G part (graphics ) is missing. That's why a blank screen will still pull up when playing, but the imbedded audio file is still .WAV.

That's the way I read it.

George

Last edited by George; November 18th, 2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Smile Re: Copy and record a mix of Audio and CD+g tracks

Once again, thanks for all the great help with my original question about the ability of Microstudio to burn a disc with CD+G and Audio files on the same CD. With the information this forum provided, I went back to my "old" program (CRDWIN) and I was able to burn a mixed CD by selecting cdg for both types of files. While it works using CDRWIN, Microstudio has much more to offer, so I plan on getting it for my future use.

Thanks,
Wes
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:21 AM

I imported the same track from a normal Audio disc two times. Once it was imported as Wave and then it was imported as CDG

The Wave was 37,329 mb
The CDG was 38,853 mb

They weren't the same size

We've established that only the CDG file will be useable when Compiling a Karaoke CD+G disc.

If you use your computer to search the Audio disc for wave files, you won't find any.

Wave files have to be extracted as Wave files, they don't exist already on an Audio CD

Anyway I think that I can show that these files quack and walk more like CDG files than wave files (they're even called .cdg)
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Re: A clear answer for the "BUYING DECISION"

Quote:
(Now I am responding to one of the responses.)

Quote:

Does that mean that you can include a wave file with a cdg file if you change the name of the extension? (i.e. change "FLY ME TO THE MOON.WAV" to "FLY ME TO THE MOON.CDG")
No! Just changing the filename extension from .wav to .cdg does nothing except make it unplayble by any player.

You must do as the other users indicated.

1. Have the audio songs on an Audio CD and import them in Microstudio with the CDG button (not WAV button) selected. This will import all the R-W data along with the audio sample data.

2. Take a .wav file on the hard drive, open it into Karaoke Home Producer and without adding any lyrics (or you can if you have them and want to sync them to the music), save the file out. This will automatically write it with the R-W data required for the CDG format.

All the posts in this Thread have been appropriate. I appreciate everyone being so helpful and straightforward in helping our visitor!
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Anyway I think that I can show that these files quack and walk more like CDG files than wave files (they're even called .cdg)
Just the opposite. They quack and walk more like .WAV files. Either the quack or the walk is missing as there are no graphics, and to have a full blown cdg you must have graphics, don't you? They are not cdg's in the accepted form, they simply have been assigned a working cdg extension.

They are audio tracks functioning as pseudo cdg's minus graphics.

Probably we're both partly wrong inasmuch as it's obvious they are not cdg's and perhaps not wav's either in their usable form.

Anyway, that's why they have chocolate and vanilla ice cream

Gonna move on, this thread purpose has been resolved anyway.

Take care,

George
Old April 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Having trouble saving WAVE to CDG in KPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
No! Just changing the filename extension from .wav to .cdg does nothing except make it unplayble by any player.

You must do as the other users indicated.

1. Have the audio songs on an Audio CD and import them in Microstudio with the CDG button (not WAV button) selected. This will import all the R-W data along with the audio sample data.

2. Take a .wav file on the hard drive, open it into Karaoke Home Producer and without adding any lyrics (or you can if you have them and want to sync them to the music), save the file out. This will automatically write it with the R-W data required for the CDG format.

All the posts in this Thread have been appropriate. I appreciate everyone being so helpful and straightforward in helping our visitor!
PLEASE HELP - THIS IS GIVING ME A HUGE HEADACHE - I downloaded a sound effect of a "school bell ringing" in WAVE format. As you suggested above in step 2 - I opened it in Karaoke Home Producer and saved it out. It still only opens as a WAVE file. I can't pull it up in the Custom Assembly Tab to add to a bunch of Karaoke songs [CDGs] I am using for a musical my children's choir is doing. Can you help me? I'm stuck!!! Thanks so much.
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird
PLEASE HELP - THIS IS GIVING ME A HUGE HEADACHE - I downloaded a sound effect of a "school bell ringing" in WAVE format. As you suggested above in step 2 - I opened it in Karaoke Home Producer and saved it out. It still only opens as a WAVE file. I can't pull it up in the Custom Assembly Tab to add to a bunch of Karaoke songs [CDGs] I am using for a musical my children's choir is doing. Can you help me? I'm stuck!!! Thanks so much.
This should work, but I haven't proven it recently.

1. Open the .wav music file in KHPro.
2. You shouldn't need to do this, but you might try doing a place lyrics even without any in the screen.
3. Export the project as a .CDG file.

Microstudio will accept this .cdg file BECAUSE it has the subcode RW data blocks filled in (which a .wav file will not have... why you can't simply convert a .wav to .cdg).

Post back here what you find.
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
This should work, but I haven't proven it recently.

1. Open the .wav music file in KHPro.
2. You shouldn't need to do this, but you might try doing a place lyrics even without any in the screen.
3. Export the project as a .CDG file.

Microstudio will accept this .cdg file BECAUSE it has the subcode RW data blocks filled in (which a .wav file will not have... why you can't simply convert a .wav to .cdg).

Post back here what you find.
I don't know what I am doing wrong!!! In KHPro when I click OPEN - it only allows me to open .KPR projects. How do you mean to OPEN my .wav file? In order to open my .wav file I have to click on ADD MUSIC. That allows me to click on my .wav file but the EXPORT TO CDG never highlights to allow me to do that step. Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm about to give up!
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM

SONGBIRD,

To import a .wav file and play it as a cdg you need only have CDG selected as the type of file when importing to the hard drive. It will then play as a cdg file.

More complicated to create a cdg from a .wav that's on the hard drive.

You have to make a complete CDG file in KHP to do this with a .WAV file from the hard drive.

Open KHP, and import the .WAV file by clicking ADD MUSIC.

Now click IMPORT LYRICS and import any small text file

Now HIGHLIGHT AND DELETE all but the first word of the text file.

Now click EDIT, then SETTINGS.

Now unclick the title and credits pages.

Now go to the LYRICS page and make certain that the BORDER, BACKGROUND FONT COLOR AND SWEEP COLOR are ALL THE SAME SETTINGS, preferably black

Click OK.

Go to PLACE LYRICS SCREEN...you shouldn't see anything.

Click START, and once the music starts, tap the spacebar and click STOP.

Save the file in KHP.

Export the file to CDG.

You should now be able to open the file in Microstudio and play the file as a cdg with a blank screen.

Hope this helps,

George

Last edited by George; April 27th, 2006 at 10:18 PM.