MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 28th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Question Super CDGs

Can someone please explain to me what Super CDGs are? I have done a search without results. Any help would be appreciated.
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Question

Are you sure it's not SVCD?

Never heard of SCDG.

Regards
Old January 28th, 2004, 07:54 PM

Basically it's MP3G disc.

Jim,

A Super CDG is fundamentally a MP3G disc, as of a few weeks ago, this type of disk only worked on CAVS players that supports the Super CDG format. It appears that other players are trying to get into the game.

Several companies such as Nutek and Music Maestro, among others are producing this type of disk with as many as 1250 songs on a single disk (between $175 - $300 per disk) the players run around ($250 - $695)

The problem I see with this deal is you still have to carry disks that get damage, The sound quality could be compromised by excessive compression and a host of other reasons. Besides you may have only a few popular songs, meaning great songs may be divided among several disks forcing you, in effect to still having to make a large investment to be able to put on a decent show.

The jury’s still out on how successful theses disks/player will become. My prediction is "they could become" very popular in the amateur home karaoke party crowd.

I think the professional KJ will stick to what is becoming standard in the industry; a program such as Hoster, running the show from computers with the ability to play individually owned CDGs brought in by some customers

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon

Last edited by jaddams; January 28th, 2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:13 PM

Jon

Thanks, after reading your post it's like the light came back on. I knew that I had heard the explanation before. Thanks again for your time.

The reason I was asking is because the program I use for my books recommended I download a free update if I wanted to be able to print the lists for these disks.
Old January 28th, 2004, 09:58 PM

They're gaining acceptance.

Expresskaraoke.com is marketing a line of SCDG's put out by Music Maestro. Usually as one major manufacturer goes, others will follow.

I imagine Jon's assessment of the potential market for SCDG's is about the way it will be.

George
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:14 PM

Happy to be of help Jim.

When you get an opportunity send me a PM and tell me where you host your shows. I noticed you are in Baltimore and I spend half my life on I-95 between New York, Philadelphia and DC. I am getting a bit tired with all construction and detours around the tunnels. Are they ever going to finish that project?

It'll be nice to pop-in one day and sing a couple of out-of-tune songs.

Regards,

Jon
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Hello all,
Have seen the SCDG's advertised, the firms that carry the hardware usually include one disc with it, seems like a good buy,
especially if you are new to this game, as they appear to be heavily discounted, probably to gain a foothold in the market.
Mind you, reading from time to time, just how many songs most KJ's carry I got to wondering what is the average number of different songs which are used most regularly on a nightly basis?
I know we have all experienced half a dozen renditions of MY Way and New York, New York in a night
How much dross do we all carry and the number of songs most people haven't even heard of, including the sucker who has to buy them just to get the odd nuber they really want.
It is certainly time the disc maufacturers gave consumers a choice from their vast catalogues of chosing their own tunes, I know Pro Burn and Chartbuster do this but they are expensive and rather limited.
I have used a firm called Karaokefreedom who sell Sound Choice
on a dollar a song, pick your own, up to 15 on a disc.
Regards from across the pond.
Garry
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:34 AM

The last I knew, Priddis would do custom discs. The last time I bought from them I believe it was $5.00 a track.

Not really bad when you consider that you can get 10 tracks you want for $50.00 vs buying maybe 5 or 6 discs at $20.00 -$25.00 a pop to get the same 10 tracks.

George

Last edited by George; January 29th, 2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Super cdg

Hello,
Does anyone know how to burn a SUPER CDG ??
I have tried and I am lost What program will work??
Thanks
cactus
Old March 30th, 2004, 11:19 PM

I don't know if MTU is considering geting into this market, perhaps an admin can chime in here.

If your lucky, MTU will see a market for it and will build something. I'm not trying to blow smoke, but MTU is in my opinion the industry standard for karaoke hosting and backup.

For me personally, I hope there's not a market for it and it dies away. I'd like to see things remain as they are. I have my discs, I have my backups, and then there's hoster which wraps it all up perfectly! The last thing I need is another format creeping in and giving me other equipment/format concerns.
Old April 28th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Wink scdg

a super cdg is cdg's put in an mp3 format and burned on a dvd disc. it allows you to put over 1000 songs on one cdg. if you go to the cavs web site you can purchase them there
Old April 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jumpmaster_2376
I don't know if MTU is considering geting into this market, perhaps an admin can chime in here.

If your lucky, MTU will see a market for it and will build something. I'm not trying to blow smoke, but MTU is in my opinion the industry standard for karaoke hosting and backup.

For me personally, I hope there's not a market for it and it dies away. I'd like to see things remain as they are. I have my discs, I have my backups, and then there's hoster which wraps it all up perfectly! The last thing I need is another format creeping in and giving me other equipment/format concerns.
We've been working on our own "something better" for 5 years. It will of course be compatible with Hoster.

Don't ask for any more at this time. It's still hush.