MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Comments on computer choice

My previous Vista laptop has had a catastrophic disaster as the mother board burnt out so I am replacing it with a new Windows 7 model. as I see MTU is now shipping their laptop with Windows 7.

I have been looking at 2 models a Packard Bell TJ65-DT041 which has Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 processor 2.2 Ghz. 4 GB ram 320 GB hard drive, Nvidea G210M 512 MB Graphics card.

The other is an Acer which I have found out now Acer & Packard Bell are One.
The Acer model is very similar:
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 / 2.2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
RAM - 4 GB (installed) / 8 GB (max) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz
Hard Drive - 320 GB - Serial ATA-150
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Screen - 15.6' TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) - 24-bit (16.7 million colours) - CineCrystal
Optical Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integrated
Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
The main difference in these 2 is the graphics card NVidea or ATI. One other thing the Acer has DDR3 SD Ram at 1066 Mhz & the Packard Bell has DDR2 presumely 800Mhz.

I have read some very good reviews on the Acer but can't find any on the Packard Bell, not this specific model #

One thing the Packard Bell has Over The Acer is WiFi built in which would be handy around the home although you can always get a WiFi dongle.

My main question is the best video card NVidea Or ATI ?

Any other comments welcome.

Roy.
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM

If it is for gaming, then I would go with NVIDIA, but if it is going to be a system for Karaoke, then it really does not matter, since most graphics cards in laptops are designed for display refresh and presentation.

Check with some of the online testing sites for the ratings of the laptops, before purchasing.

CAVEAT EMPTOR
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM

i would go with ATI, i heard that some people are having problems with NVidea
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
i would go with ATI, i heard that some people are having problems with NVidea
Most problems are with the incorrect drivers and not necessarily the video card.

My recommendation is to go with a company that will provide you the best overall support. Dell or HP will give you this kind of support. If you can spend the extra 50-100 dollars for a Dell or Hewlett Packard do so...You won't regret it....
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Billyo & Capnvik for your views, I'm still searching and trying to make a decision. I don't do gaming, it will mainly be for my DJ & Karaoke nights but I think I will go with the Acer. I am now going to have to get a VGA to video converter, I have noted a lot of billyo answers to this problem too.

Roy.
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:08 PM

Re: Comments on computer choice

Roy,

What was your final choice of laptop, and how's it working with Hoster and Microstudio?

I also want to move away from sorting through my collection of discs and using my three drawer karaoke CD+g player. I worry that my player, which is eight years old, will quit working and I already know there are no replacements for this type of set-up. I would buy the laptop from MTU because I know it will work, but I don't do shows and the MTU laptop is too expensive for just my personal use. MTU used to have other laptops, but now they only sell the one at about $2,000 with Hoster installed.

So once again, what did you buy and how's it working? Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Wes
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Wes.
I chose the Acer Aspire 5738G. You can view it at this address: http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...45/version.asp

I am well pleased with my purchase and would recommend this model to anyone who wants to run Hoster or any of the other MTU products. It is Windows 7 operating system which I was a bit unsure of but since having this and setting it up as recommended in the Hoster Manuel I have no regrets about my purchase and after my old XP machine it is lightning fast.

I am not saying this is the best machine you can have as they are now selling computers with the new i3, i5, & i7 processors, but for my money so far I have no regrets.

Roy.
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Roy,

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize you lived in the UK. I'm in Florida and the Acer model is only available in the UK. Not sure what the US model number is for the same machine.

On a side note, in 1985 we almost bought a condo in Estepona which is on the Costa del Sol part of Spain. It is a great place, but it didn't work out for us. I'm sure you enjoy your time in Spain.

Thanks again for your reply,
Wes
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:52 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
Roy,

What was your final choice of laptop, and how's it working with Hoster and Microstudio?

I also want to move away from sorting through my collection of discs and using my three drawer karaoke CD+g player. I worry that my player, which is eight years old, will quit working and I already know there are no replacements for this type of set-up. I would buy the laptop from MTU because I know it will work, but I don't do shows and the MTU laptop is too expensive for just my personal use. MTU used to have other laptops, but now they only sell the one at about $2,000 with Hoster installed.

So once again, what did you buy and how's it working? Any input would be great.

Thanks,
Wes
Most computer/laptops today off the shelf work well with Hoster. I have an older (07) HP Pavillion laptop with 64 bit Vista that works flawlessly. Just ran an 8 hour show non-stop, outside in 90+ degree weather not too long ago without as much as a hiccup in audio or graphics & it's just a basic Intel N-Vidia based card built in. I do use an external sound card for better audio than the headphone jacks of the build in audio cards tend to provide. As long as the specs of the computer match or better Hosters minimum specs, you should be good on most any choice - just check the user reviews on anything you look at.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM

if you don't do show and if youre using it just around the house or small parties, my suggestion would be to just buy a mini notebook, i bought one ( asus $299 back then) and i ran micorstudio on it and i also use it to dj small parties, dont have problems with it and also it has xp os..the only problem with it was it doesn't have a cd/dvd drive , and also my suggestion would be to get yourself an ext. hhd. and put all your songs in it...you said you're in florida ..where about in fla. i'm from fla. too ( wpb )..
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM

billyo - Thanks for the information about the use of the Acer notebook. My wife has one, in fact it's called the Acer Aspire One. I did test it with Microstudio and it seemed to work, but I've not used the demo Hoster to test it out on the Acer. If I use the Acer, how do I get the video out to the 2nd monitor?

I live in the Venice area on the other (some say better) coast of Florida.

Lonman - Thanks for your input. I believe you used to be an active member of a karaoke forum which was sponsored by one of the manufactures. The forum was called JOLT. In fact, that's where I believe I learned about MTU. I tried to access the forum, but it appears it is history.

Thanks again,

Wes
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
VIP

Yeah JOLT was karaoke.coms own forum. It has been dead for about 3 or 4 years now.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old October 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Most computer/laptops today off the shelf work well with Hoster. I have an older (07) HP Pavillion laptop with 64 bit Vista that works flawlessly. Just ran an 8 hour show non-stop, outside in 90+ degree weather not too long ago without as much as a hiccup in audio or graphics & it's just a basic Intel N-Vidia based card built in. I do use an external sound card for better audio than the headphone jacks of the build in audio cards tend to provide. As long as the specs of the computer match or better Hosters minimum specs, you should be good on most any choice - just check the user reviews on anything you look at.
Lonman,

So, if I buy a laptop I should make sure it has a built-in graphics card that is dual monitor capable. I'm not familiar with the use of an external audio card for a laptop, could you please explain what it is?

Thanks for your help,
Wes
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
Lonman,

So, if I buy a laptop I should make sure it has a built-in graphics card that is dual monitor capable. I'm not familiar with the use of an external audio card for a laptop, could you please explain what it is?

Thanks for your help,
Wes
It's just an external device that plugs between a USB port on the laptop and your mixer, routing all the music through it instead of just plugging your laptop to the mixer via the headphone jack on the laptop. Much clearer sound quality than the headphone jack can provide.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old October 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Smile Re: Comments on computer choice

I'd like to thank Roy, BillyO and Lonman for their input concerning my questions about computer choice for Hoster.

I did a demo of Hoster using my ACER Aspire One connected to a TV using a "D" connector for video and a mini plug with two RCA connectors to my Mixer/Amp and the computer's headset output. Everything seems to work fine. I already had checked out my Compaq Presario C302NR using an S-video cable for the video. It also seems to work fine. Both computers have XP installed.

So, it seems that either one will work with my current set-up. I plan on buying the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II USB Interface Sound Card & Headset Adapter to replace the use of the computer headset output. Now, I have to decide if I want to spend all the time and effort to move all my CDs onto an external hard drive, as well as, spend the money for the Hoster program.

Can I assume I can switch the external hard drive from one computer to another?

Once again, thanks for your help.

Wes
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

As long as both computers recognize the drive as the same drive letter and you have the songs database built on both computers to that drive letter.
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM

you can't go wrong in putting all your songs into an ext. hhd..i can't even tell you how many back-up ext. hhd's i got ( all 500g slim design hhds.) not including the one's i got pugged into my show & back-up laptop, i just ordered a new one ( Seagate GoFlex 500gb Usb 3.0 SuperSpeed drive ) i worked on one yesterday ( helped a friend copy her song into it ,she doesn't know how) as a back-up and it was fast so i decided to get one ..just make sure that you always plugged that drive to the same usb port. for it to have the same drive letter..good luck
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM
VIP

Quote:
Lonman, I would like to know if you import a lot of Singers' disks and run BA at the same time, since you say you didn't have any problems. I have a HP AMD with 32bit Vista & same NVidea card. However, I noticed that your speed is 2.8Ghz and mine is only 1.89Ghz. I wonder if that's what makes the difference. Saturday night the first 8 singers all had their own disks with Versions that I didn't have. I didn't have BA on until later in the evening. After that is when Hoster crashed again after importing from another disk.
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird74 View Post
Lonman, I would like to know if you import a lot of Singers' disks and run BA at the same time, since you say you didn't have any problems. I have a HP AMD with 32bit Vista & same NVidea card. However, I noticed that your speed is 2.8Ghz and mine is only 1.89Ghz. I wonder if that's what makes the difference. Saturday night the first 8 singers all had their own disks with Versions that I didn't have. I didn't have BA on until later in the evening. After that is when Hoster crashed again after importing from another disk.
No I don't run BA from Hoster - I do use a separate program that I paid alot for a few years back and I just let it run continuously in the background on a second audio card (the built in headphone jack) and manually mix it. Also have a separate player for customer dsics. I get so many customer discs throughout the week, i'd rather not use my computers drive.
I also have Windows Media Player playing behind Hoster with a slideshow of singers and fun times throughout the years.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old October 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
VIP

Quote:
No I don't run BA from Hoster - I do use a separate program that I paid alot for a few years back and I just let it run continuously in the background on a second audio card (the built in headphone jack) and manually mix it. Also have a separate player for customer dsics. I get so many customer discs throughout the week, i'd rather not use my computers drive.
I also have Windows Media Player playing behind Hoster with a slideshow of singers and fun times throughout the years.
Can I also ask..... if the audio runs continuously in the background, do you manually turn off the volume when you play from Hoster? One of the best features of BA is that it fades the music out, so I don't have to mess with any other controls. Do you use a USB sound card for Hoster?

How do you get the WMP slideshow on your second screen for people to see? I've tried that in the past & it was a pain to drag it over to a second display & still be able to use the controls.

I've been using a second player for disks for the last couple years also, but now having problems switching back & forth. After doing so several times, I now lose the video from the computer. I'm not sure if it's the A/B (rf modulator) that's going bad or if it's the S-Video output going bad on the computer Any ideas would be much appreciated.