MTU.Community


Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Harry Reid Harry Reid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Panama City Fla
Posts: 25
Bose L1 System

Kicking around the idea of buying a Bose L1 system. Are there any KJ's using this type of sound system? If so I would like to know what you think of it, and was it worth the investment.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Lonman Lonman is offline
VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Reid View Post
Kicking around the idea of buying a Bose L1 system. Are there any KJ's using this type of sound system? If so I would like to know what you think of it, and was it worth the investment.
If your club is small, it may work. I tried it out in my current club (2 sticks & one sub module - would've retailed $3400), very bass lacking & not a very full sound. Used it as a monitor on stage (original intent of the system) & it worked great, however it was pretty pricey just for a monitor.
It was no comparision to my regular PA & for that price you can get a REALLY nice PA system.
__________________

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM
muzicman144 muzicman144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 329
Bose L1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Reid View Post
Kicking around the idea of buying a Bose L1 system. Are there any KJ's using this type of sound system? If so I would like to know what you think of it, and was it worth the investment.
Some of the old guard are very reluctant to acknowledge the Bose L1 system as a great system. I recommend the L2 with double bass module, and the little tone engine mixer does a fantastic job with quality effects. I had the L1, sold it, but bought two L2 w/double bass. I plug my computer via usb, no mini plugs to mess with. Single bass units DO NOT do the job. I have played in venues seating 4-600 using one single L2, double bass, played 1000 seat venue using two L2 systems. Great even sound that fills a room without pushing to get sound to the back. One well known R&R singer joined me one night and couldn't believe what he was hearing.
As i said, old guard does not want to accept it, but, i have used it for two years up and down the east coast without fail. Buy it without fear. Someone said it was pricey, Hell, i have had mixers that cost that much alone. i thought $3,400 was a great deal compared with what my other stuff cost, and only weighs 65lbs in the back seat of a car, replacing a fourteen foot trailer full of gear! Give me a break. Now i did keep my pro system for pro concert work when needed, but i haven't met anyone who uses the Bose system that would change back.
muzicman
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
RIKKI TIKKI's Avatar
RIKKI TIKKI RIKKI TIKKI is offline
VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NOGALES, AZ.
Posts: 1,171
Question Bose Monitors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Reid View Post
Kicking around the idea of buying a Bose L1 system. Are there any KJ's using this type of sound system? If so I would like to know what you think of it, and was it worth the investment.
Not just for monitors anymore!

I have been using the Bose L1 original with 2 bass modules, a little over 5 yrs now! Not one glitch! ( I replaced one of the cables for the base modules )

I can play a large room, or a house party, and not have any complaints. Most of my regulars report their complaints about other KJ systems, and I just smile. I know by checking out different shows, when I get the chance, that there are better sounding systems, but as Muzicman mentioned, you don't carry that kind of gear around in the back seat, and that was one of the criteria I weighed when I was looking to replace my original speaker/power amp configuration. Did I mention I weighed the advantages? That's exactly why I purchased the Bose unit! It breaks down to 3 pieces that are light enough that your betterhalf can carry it around ( My Roadie / My girlfriend is 59ish), and won't warp your back trying to push it up on a stand!

Sounds great... you can talk in front of the setup, while it's in operation.... It's now more versatile if you purchase the L2 ( Get the full system with effects mixer, and double base module! as per Muzicman's recommendation! ) which is a little lighter, and compact than the original L1. That will be where my next purchase upgrade would be, knowing what the newer model can do! Kick the tires! Go down and check it out at a Guitar Center Store, listen to it, tear it down, and check out the return/free trial offer that Bose allows, play a couple of practice sessions with it, and see if it doesn't blow you away!

Great investment in my opinion!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:01 PM
capnvic capnvic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Some of the old guard are very reluctant to acknowledge the Bose L1 system as a great system. I recommend the L2 with double bass module, and the little tone engine mixer does a fantastic job with quality effects. I had the L1, sold it, but bought two L2 w/double bass. I plug my computer via usb, no mini plugs to mess with. Single bass units DO NOT do the job. I have played in venues seating 4-600 using one single L2, double bass, played 1000 seat venue using two L2 systems. Great even sound that fills a room without pushing to get sound to the back. One well known R&R singer joined me one night and couldn't believe what he was hearing.
As i said, old guard does not want to accept it, but, i have used it for two years up and down the east coast without fail. Buy it without fear. Someone said it was pricey, Hell, i have had mixers that cost that much alone. i thought $3,400 was a great deal compared with what my other stuff cost, and only weighs 65lbs in the back seat of a car, replacing a fourteen foot trailer full of gear! Give me a break. Now i did keep my pro system for pro concert work when needed, but i haven't met anyone who uses the Bose system that would change back.
muzicman
One of my competitors has an L1 system, and I have to admit it sound great when adjusted properly. She has the single subwoofer unit. she's also a senior, so the less weight the better...Go for it!
__________________
KJ By Vic
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
muzicman144 muzicman144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 329
Bose l1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
One of my competitors has an L1 system, and I have to admit it sound great when adjusted properly. She has the single subwoofer unit. she's also a senior, so the less weight the better...Go for it!
The single sub just doesn't cut it. The difference between the L1 and the L2 is night and day. I sold the L1 w/2subs and bought the L2 w/subs. The sound adjustment is just like any mixer i have ever used, requires no additional knowledge. Wouldn't trade it for anything up to 600 seat venue, two L2's for up to 1000 seat capacity without losing sound quality that i'll match with anyone. And, i don't call $3400 cheap for a quality sound system. As i have said, i have had mixers that cost more than that alone.
muzicman
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Lonman Lonman is offline
VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 2,744
Again, I tried out the system, it did not fit my club. They want LOUD with BASS THUMPIN sound, the Bose did not fit that bill. We run live band sound levels & they want to FEEL the bass!
I can see it fitting clubs that huge volume is not an issue and pumping bass response.
__________________

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
muzicman144 muzicman144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 329
Bose L1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Again, I tried out the system, it did not fit my club. They want LOUD with BASS THUMPIN sound, the Bose did not fit that bill. We run live band sound levels & they want to FEEL the bass!
I can see it fitting clubs that huge volume is not an issue and pumping bass response.
You stated you tried the L1 with one sub. That don't cut it. The L2 with 2Subs do cut it and if you want more you can use 4subs. Currently when i play clubs that want the pumping bass, i can make the stage vibrate. I have played with top pro equipment, complete band. I KNOW sound. I have played 1000 seat clubs and have never used over half the volume on this system.
I can appreciate your opinion as to what you have used, but the Bose L2 with 2 or more subs is the real deal. Volume, pumping bass, quality sound, its there or you can bet your last dollar i certainly wouldn't be using it OR talking about it.
muzicman
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Lonman Lonman is offline
VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
You stated you tried the L1 with one sub. That don't cut it. The L2 with 2Subs do cut it and if you want more you can use 4subs. Currently when i play clubs that want the pumping bass, i can make the stage vibrate. I have played with top pro equipment, complete band. I KNOW sound. I have played 1000 seat clubs and have never used over half the volume on this system.
I can appreciate your opinion as to what you have used, but the Bose L2 with 2 or more subs is the real deal. Volume, pumping bass, quality sound, its there or you can bet your last dollar i certainly wouldn't be using it OR talking about it.
muzicman
The point is for me, I can't see spending the money on the system. I know if I need more bass I can add more subs, but for the price that I would need to spend, a really nice PA system can be purchased that I won't need to keep adding more subs to get the sound I want.
For a compact standpoint, they sound ok, I really wasn't impressed personally - again this was based on the L1 system - 2 sticks & 1 sub and was not using the processor as they (music store) did not have it in stock yet, but assured me it wouldn't be needed with the front end I already had on the PA.
Now granted I have not tried or heard the L2 model.
__________________

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 26th, 2009, 02:39 PM
capnvic capnvic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
The single sub just doesn't cut it. The difference between the L1 and the L2 is night and day. I sold the L1 w/2subs and bought the L2 w/subs. The sound adjustment is just like any mixer i have ever used, requires no additional knowledge. Wouldn't trade it for anything up to 600 seat venue, two L2's for up to 1000 seat capacity without losing sound quality that i'll match with anyone. And, i don't call $3400 cheap for a quality sound system. As i have said, i have had mixers that cost more than that alone.
muzicman
My competitor friend plays mostly small venues (small bars, clubs, where seating cap is less than 75....
__________________
KJ By Vic
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:17 PM
marklwood's Avatar
marklwood marklwood is offline
Honor Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 960
With a good quality sub, I prefer a couple dozen of these

__________________
Test machine:
Vista Home Premium / Toshiba Satelitte X205 / 2.0GHz Core2 Duo / 2GB memory / 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:33 PM
madjim- with the Lord madjim- with the Lord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Valdosta GA
Posts: 2,764
Add a couple of these and your sytem will ROCK!



Jim
__________________
Don't Hate, Participate. GOD Bless!
http://madjim.com http://www.myspace.com/madjimhall http://www.youtube.com/madjimhall

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
marklwood's Avatar
marklwood marklwood is offline
Honor Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 960
If you want it to REALLY rock
__________________
Test machine:
Vista Home Premium / Toshiba Satelitte X205 / 2.0GHz Core2 Duo / 2GB memory / 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
ddouglass ddouglass is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ace, TX (5 miles past Nowhere)
Posts: 9,395
Bored are we guys???
Wouldn't it be great to be able to add one of these to your system too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4113.jpg (17.5 KB, 17 views)
__________________
Dale Douglass
2nd Generation Karaoke
I am not a member of the MTU Staff.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
marklwood's Avatar
marklwood marklwood is offline
Honor Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 960
I already have these

__________________
Test machine:
Vista Home Premium / Toshiba Satelitte X205 / 2.0GHz Core2 Duo / 2GB memory / 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
RIKKI TIKKI's Avatar
RIKKI TIKKI RIKKI TIKKI is offline
VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NOGALES, AZ.
Posts: 1,171
Harry,

These testers are getting bored because Hoster 4.08 is running without any new complaints to troubleshoot! Please consider what idle minds ( good ones at that -- in most cases! Ha!) must do to entertain themselves! LOL

I went over to the Bose forum and plucked out this photo!

This guy has an awesome setup for DJ'ing, and he didn't even have the T1 (mixer / effects) included yet!

This is a little overboard... but if you need pro sound bass, this would have the windows rattling a bit!

Even with the Classic L1 system, with 2 bass modules that I run presently, I can clean out the cobwebs from the rafters!

Rick
Rikki Tikki Karaoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7180.JPG (113.1 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:00 PM
marklwood's Avatar
marklwood marklwood is offline
Honor Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Joplin, MO
Posts: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
I went over to the Bose forum and plucked out this photo!

This guy has an awesome setup for DJ'ing
Just think of how unimpressive that would be without the hat!!!
__________________
Test machine:
Vista Home Premium / Toshiba Satelitte X205 / 2.0GHz Core2 Duo / 2GB memory / 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:09 AM
madjim- with the Lord madjim- with the Lord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Valdosta GA
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
I already have these

Do you keep them in a box?

Jim
__________________
Don't Hate, Participate. GOD Bless!
http://madjim.com http://www.myspace.com/madjimhall http://www.youtube.com/madjimhall

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:21 AM
madjim- with the Lord madjim- with the Lord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Valdosta GA
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
Just think of how unimpressive that would be without the hat!!!



Gee Mark, you're right!

Jim
__________________
Don't Hate, Participate. GOD Bless!
http://madjim.com http://www.myspace.com/madjimhall http://www.youtube.com/madjimhall

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:26 AM
madjim- with the Lord madjim- with the Lord is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Valdosta GA
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKKI TIKKI View Post
Harry,

These testers are getting bored because Hoster 4.08 is running without any new complaints to troubleshoot! Please consider what idle minds must do to entertain themselves! LOL
Harry,
Rikki is right but all that has changed. We just got the latest Micostudio beta to test. Now we can focus on testing and leave you guys alone.

Quote:
( good ones at that -- in most cases! Ha!)
Rikki,
Thanks for pointing me out!

Jim
__________________
Don't Hate, Participate. GOD Bless!
http://madjim.com http://www.myspace.com/madjimhall http://www.youtube.com/madjimhall

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200

Last edited by madjim- with the Lord; March 27th, 2009 at 03:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2009 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
The contents of this forum are copyrighted by Micro Technology Unlimited, 2000-2008. Use of any material from these Forums is prohibited without written agreement from MTU.