MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Do you download?

Another thread said sound choice and chartbuster will start offering downloads. I Was wandering if anyone is currently downloading songs (legally) and if so where and how is the quality?
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

They would only be legal if directly from Chartbuster or Sound Choice because they do not license anyone else currently for downloads.
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM
VIP

SC has claimed for some time now that because their licensing makes no provision for downloading it would be a violation of their licensing to offer it. It'll be interesting to see if they ever do.

CB has been advertising that they are going to offer downloads for a good 6 months so maybe they are trying to get all of their licensing ducks in a row. Dunno, Just speculating

Sam
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
SC has claimed for some time now that because their licensing makes no provision for downloading it would be a violation of their licensing to offer it. It'll be interesting to see if they ever do.

CB has been advertising that they are going to offer downloads for a good 6 months so maybe they are trying to get all of their licensing ducks in a row. Dunno, Just speculating

Sam
SC put out a letter back in Sep 2008 that they finally recognize our right to transfer the songs from CD to computer for doing shows. Maybe they are waking up to the 21st century.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM

I've downloaded a couple of songs from tricerasoft and karaoke downloads and their quality is pretty decent. Go for it.
Old February 28th, 2009, 04:48 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
SC put out a letter back in Sep 2008 that they finally recognize our right to transfer the songs from CD to computer for doing shows. Maybe they are waking up to the 21st century.
True, but this only recognises the end users right to rip from CDG. It didn't address the issue of SC (or a subcontracted vendor) offering downloads for sale directly.

SC has ben so silent lately (maybe just secretive) about whats going on there, it hard to speculate what direction they might go.

Sam
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

True Sam. But I do also know they have not licensed anyone to redistribute their work through downloads. Hopefully someday they will see how much they are missing out on.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM

I Guess it didn't say they would offer downloads but I was assuming once they recognized it was legal they would start offering them other thread is (Changing their Tune). I Really don't think they will have any other choice but to offer downloads. If they don't they will lose money to the people who will legally or ortherwise. I don't download right now but I'm ready to as soon as I find a legal site with good quality
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Frequent Member

Sound Choice has been absent in providing new releases and have gone to offering mixed discs, probably due to licensng problems.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:30 PM

I have from select a track in the UK, they come zipped and work excellent. Caveat they are expensive but a single track is cheaper than a whole CDG with 14 tracks you don't need. Now if we could just get the major brands to offer kma files.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM

Does anyone but hoster use .kma files ?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

This is an MTU originally designed file format based on the WMA file compression. Their are a couple other programs that claim they can play them (haven't tried so don't know for sure if they will) but they cannot create them.
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:16 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
This is an MTU originally designed file format based on the WMA file compression. Their are a couple other programs that claim they can play them (haven't tried so don't know for sure if they will) but they cannot create them.
There is one other that will play, burn but not rip/create. The other player I played with to check out, does work, but not a very good player in comparison as far as ease of use.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:01 PM

The Charbuster site has some free downloads of Christmas music. They are zipped files. I thought I would try one of them and see how it imports. Has anyone tried one of these? I am afraid I am a bit ignorant when it comes to importing anything other than normal cdg's.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwheeler43 View Post
The Charbuster site has some free downloads of Christmas music. They are zipped files. I thought I would try one of them and see how it imports. Has anyone tried one of these? I am afraid I am a bit ignorant when it comes to importing anything other than normal cdg's.
I used Chartbusters free christmas MP3+G Zip files to beta test 4.07 & 4.08. They're good tracks, everybody should get a copy.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
VIP

A new place I found that looks interistin is http://www.karaoke-version.com/karaoke/. Many of the songs are available in cdg, wmv with balck background and wmv with a multicolored background. Demo's look good, nice little selection of newer songs and only about $3 US. and several different languages available. And they look legit.

I have yet to try them but I've got'em bookmarked for a future purchase.
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM

You can actually download the Karaoke-channel.com MP3+G tracks, which are Sound Choice tracks and graphics, with the initial Sound Choice logo replaced.

Here is where:

http://www.venuevj.com/index.pcdj

So I don't think "Sound Choice" will be far behind.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

This is highly illegal. Sound Choice has not authorized anyone to sell their works on-line and particularly would not allow them to strip the opening Logo screen out.
I love their legal page where it lists their requirements to notify them of any copyright infringements. Just because you put your requirements down like this is not going to protect them from a lawsuit by Sound Choice or any of the producers they are ripping off.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:51 PM

I agree with you Dale, if there is money to be made leagally I'm sure Sound Choice would make it with no help from anybody. They surely would not give the rights to some no name company who is removing "Sound Choice's" name from the tracks.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM
VIP

The Karaoke Channel is either owned by SC or in partnership with SC. SC was a big prmoter of it when it came out a couple of years ago.

Take a look at SC website you'll see they've got their fingers in a lot of pies, trying to make a buck. Sadley it appears that producing new karaoke tracks is a business they seem to be getting out of.