MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old January 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
VIP

How to copy or "Ghost" a drive

Could someone explain how to "Ghost" (If that's the proper term) your Windows drive, Procedure, software required etc.

Just to complicate things I somehow have ended up with Window system files on 2 different drives. I can't find the files on the data drive using Explorer but when I defrag the data drive I can see them there, also if I remove the data drive, Windows no longer boots up.

Anybody have any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Sam
Old January 31st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sam are you trying to "Mirror" the drive which is to have a second drive duplicate the first and will take over if first drive fails?

To "Ghost" a drive is referring to a Symantec program called Ghost which can copy a drive to a compressed file that would be used to restore the drive as it was the day you copied it. It is a back-up program. We use it at work to create an image file to load on to multiple computers that we want to be set up the exact same way.

It sounds like you have somehow copied (moved) some system files to your second disc removing themfrom the primary. I would try using Restore to go back to a time when those files are in the right location.

You probably can't see those files on your data drive because your Explorer settings are set to default. Open Explorer and click on Tools/Folder Options. Then in that screen click on the View tab at the top. Set Hidden Files and Folders to Show, uncheck Hide Extensions For Known File Types, and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files. Click Apply at bottom and then Apply to All Folders at the top. Then you will be able to see everything on your drives.
Old February 1st, 2007, 05:36 AM
VIP

Thanks Dale for the reply.
Quote:
To "Ghost" a drive is referring to a Symantec program called Ghost which can copy a drive to a compressed file that would be used to restore the drive as it was the day you copied it. It is a back-up program. We use it at work to create an image file to load on to multiple computers that we want to be set up the exact same way.
OK, this doesn't sound like what I'm looking to do. I guess ghosting was not the correct term

Quote:
Sam are you trying to "Mirror" the drive which is to have a second drive duplicate the first and will take over if first drive fails?
This sounds more like what I was thinking of.

Quote:
It sounds like you have somehow copied (moved) some system files to your second disc removing themfrom the primary. I would try using Restore to go back to a time when those files are in the right location.
It's been this way for quite awhile , at least a year. I first noticed it when I tried to replace my data/song drive with a bigger one at least a year ago, and even if I could restore that far back I couldn't because all my restore files were corrupted by a couple of bad blocks a few weeks ago.

Quote:
You probably can't see those files on your data drive because your Explorer settings are set to default. Open Explorer and click on Tools/Folder Options. Then in that screen click on the View tab at the top. Set Hidden Files and Folders to Show, uncheck Hide Extensions For Known File Types, and uncheck Hide Protected Operating System Files. Click Apply at bottom and then Apply to All Folders at the top. Then you will be able to see everything on your drives.
You were right. I thought I had all my system files and folders unhidden. Now I see I didn't.

I know I'm probably grasping at straws here but Is it possible to copy those files along with the system files and program files from the other drive to a 3rd drive? And then install and use it?

I'm just trying to avoid the headache of reloading windows and programs and drivers and updates, etc.

Thanks
Sam
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
I'm just trying to avoid the headache of reloading windows and programs and drivers and updates, etc.

Thanks
Sam
Then You need (Symantic) Norton Ghost

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

First, for this problem the best solution would be to reload Windows et al. This would clean up the system file locations and be beneficial in other ways too. It is a real pain and I always dread having to do it, but sometimes ya gotta. Be sure you have all your program installers somewhere else first before you start.

I am not even sure Ghost can help in this situation. If it was a case of getting errors on booting but still opening up then you could just copy everything from the old to the new drive, but since Windows won't open without it that won't work. You could add the new drive as a 3rd drive and just move your data. Then at some point in time reload Windows.
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
First, for this problem the best solution would be to reload Windows et al. This would clean up the system file locations and be beneficial in other ways too. It is a real pain and I always dread having to do it, but sometimes ya gotta. Be sure you have all your program installers somewhere else first before you start.

I am not even sure Ghost can help in this situation. If it was a case of getting errors on booting but still opening up then you could just copy everything from the old to the new drive, but since Windows won't open without it that won't work. You could add the new drive as a 3rd drive and just move your data. Then at some point in time reload Windows.
And then go with Ghost to prevent this same thing in the future. That's what I meant but was a bit terse.

Old February 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
And then go with Ghost to prevent this same thing in the future. That's what I meant but was a bit terse.
True
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
VIP

Exactly how DOES one "ghost" a CD. I have another program designed for this "Not Norton".

But it says you have to use up the complete drive and have nothing else on it, and it highly suggested that you make a boot disk.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Also, It's been a month and I'd like to "re-ghost'. Do I have to do everything all over again?

Old February 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Exactly how DOES one "ghost" a CD. I have another program designed for this "Not Norton".

But it says you have to use up the complete drive and have nothing else on it, and it highly suggested that you make a boot disk.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Also, It's been a month and I'd like to "re-ghost'. Do I have to do everything all over again?
Not a CD Bryant. We are talking about the hard drives. Ghost is for making back up copies of hard drives.
Old February 1st, 2007, 01:01 PM
VIP

I'm sorry, my mistake, I meant a hard drive. Now I will repeat the post above. sheesh?

" read above post now" ?

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM
VIP

Oh, as I stated, I remember going thru a process where I had to completely wipe clean the ghost HD (not good when you are ghosting a 40 mB HD onto an 80 mB HD.)
But anyway, I went thru this about a month ago.

Probably time to "reghost" and was wondering if I have to go thru all those intial steps again, boot disc, clean out HD again, and start over?

Old February 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

What software are you using that requires all that?

This is the part I don't understand. "But it says you have to use up the complete drive and have nothing else on it, and it highly suggested that you make a boot disk." How do you use up a complete drive?
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM
VIP

Thanks guys for the replies.
I was afraid I might have to go that route but thought I would check first just in case there was a "lazy mans way" of doing it.

Sam
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
What software are you using that requires all that?

This is the part I don't understand. "But it says you have to use up the complete drive and have nothing else on it, and it highly suggested that you make a boot disk." How do you use up a complete drive?
acronis true image

Old February 1st, 2007, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know anything about that one.
Old February 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
VIP

How does it work in Norton then . I imagine it would be quite parallel to it?

Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:14 AM

We all advised you a month or two back to buy Norton Ghost. Apparantly you went shopping and found a program for $20.00 less.

If you want a detailed account on how Norton Ghost differs, buy it. We are not familiar with the program you bought and therefore can't explain the differences to you.

All I know is neither Dale or I ever heard of the program paramaters you are describing.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Bryant,
Norton Ghost creates a compressed image file that contains everything you told it to back up (all or part of a hard drive). Your reference to creating a boot disc would be correct for any backup program when you do a full backup of your C: drive. Without this if your computer crashes you will not be able to start the system to restore the drive which is the whole purpose.
If you want to back up just your KMA directory then you won't need the boot disc to restore as you would start Ghost and tell it to restore that directory. Simple as that.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
VIP

I have 3 backups already of my kma's. I'm all set there.
But this acronis package says that it can ghost a complete C: drive and have it become completely operational if a major computer crash occurs (i.e., pilug it in and go). I have done that, but for some other reason it still suggests that I make a boot disc just in case, I guess.

But when I want to re-ghost every month or so the entire C: hard drive, would one have to redo the whole operation again.

How does Norton's Complete C: drive ghost and re-ghost seem to work.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Best advice from all the "experts" is to do a complete backup at least once a month......but then who listens to the experts.

If you make any major changes (you determine) then make a backup so you don't have to do them again. I am lucky if I make a full backup every 6-8 months, but I also am aware I may have to do a lot of reloading if I crash so I make sure I have all my program installation files in a safe place.

At work we don't even back up individual computers except servers. We have a CD (Bootable) that will reload everything we need to if a computer crashes. If the individual doesn't save there work to a server....they lose.