MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > KPro Studio and KHPro Software - Create your Own Karaoke Songs > KPro Studio and KHPro Help

KPro Studio and KHPro Help Post KPro Studio and KHPro questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 24th, 2003, 01:55 AM

Ethernet Card or USB Adaptor ?

I'm a little confused about the type of new card I need in order to download and run KHPRO 4.008.

I understand that I can use either an Ethernet Card or a USB adaptor-in order to provide a MACID number. Your information says that with a USB device, I can transfer it from one computer to another.

I can understand removing and moving a USB adaptor easily since it is not internal-but some of your information refers to a USB 'CARD' rather than an adaptor. If this 'card' fits in a PCI slot, how can it be removed any more easily than an ethernet card which also fits in a PCI slot ? Are you using the terms 'USB card' and 'USB adaptor' interchangeably ? I assume that these are two different items. I was very familiar with Local Area Networks several years ago-but the old cards I have (ISA) won't fit in the newer computers.

I've been sitting on the sidelines for the last month or so and now I'm reading about all the problems users are having in adapting to this new system. I undersand your need for security. Hope you can accomplish this without alienating your client base.
You've got good software and good people. I would like to get my situation clairified so I can take advantage of your new developments. I'm willing to wait for the dust to settle-if necessary.

All replies are appreciated.
Old April 24th, 2003, 02:52 AM

Alan.

USB card' and 'USB adaptor are one and the same. To my knowledge, All USB devices manufactured today are external! The connector (where you plug the cable in) is connected to the motherboard, either as build-in or through the use of a PCI card. The connector part is outside the computer just like the connector for your video card.

The main reason for suggesting a USB connector is that Hoster is bound to a unique Ethernet MACID No. So when you take the USB connector to another computer, you are in fact, transferring the MACID ID Number. Therefore, Hoster thinks it's running on the same computer.

I hope this helps you leave the sidelines and join the game.

Regards,

Jon