MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old April 17th, 2003, 09:17 PM

No Audio Unless Microstudio Has Focus

Microstudio performs flawlessly for me except for one minor annoyance that may be unique to my set-up. If I try to do anything else while Microstudio is playing a track, the sound immediately stops. The lyrics continue to scroll, just no audio playback. Giving Microstudio focus again, restores audio.

I have a Soundblaster Live! card and have reduced DirectX acceleration to the basic setting. I've tried both full screen and windowed lyrics with the same results. Even something as simple as trying to raise or lower playback volume is a chore since the level I'm trying to adjust goes away as soon as I click on the icon.

I've done several forum searches trying to see if this has already been covered. I apologize if it has but I found nothing definitive.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

bernie
Old April 18th, 2003, 03:35 PM

Angry Microstudio goes to Mute

Bernie,

I believe there is nothing you can do to fix this problem.
I've sent them an email to find out why? and what we can do to fix it? NEVER GOT A RESPONSE!

I'm surprised to see that no one else is complaining about this problem.

So, when you turn on Microstudio don't click on anything else or else it goes to MUTE!

Sorry, but nothing else I can say
Old April 18th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Can only speak for myself, but I would imagine I'm not alone on not seeing it as a problem.

Microstudio is not meant to be a regular player, it is a Karaoke player. I doubt it was ever considered that anyone would want to do anything else when playing Karaoke, since it's visual and audio.

As far as adjusting the volume it is just as easy to do it with the volume control on the speakers. I don't even keep a volume control on the desktop. If something comes blasting in I can be on that speaker volume control in less time than it takes to maneuver the mouse anyway.

I guess it's a matter of preferences.

George
Old April 18th, 2003, 05:46 PM

I hear you (except when I'm trying to work another program)

I have voiced my question about the usefulness of a sizeable window with no possibility of doing work at the same time.

It seems that the most basic task, adjusting the volume, should be possible while the song is playing. Unfortunately, one can't hear the adjustment until he or she has already destroyed the performance-if ever one would use microstudio with family and friends and not use hoster. And the adjustment is still a "hit and miss" venture without being able to monitor it as it happens.

Since the small window has no usefulness to me, I just set the screen at full size and go with that.

Microstudio 2.400 uses more up-to-date burners and does play discs that were previously unplayable, but I find, except those true advantages, for my testing purposes and just plain old play and enjoy purposes, 2.315 is more friendly and reliable

Last edited by jahern; April 18th, 2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Can we express ourselves in these forums??

George

To some people, the fact that they cannot do other tasks on the computer while using Microstudio play is bothersome. Is it pertainent to say that it doesn't bother you?

I have a real player in my house to entertain and have fun with. Others don't. I have my computer right next to my receiver. Others don't. I can adjust the volume using my receiver and I can use my computer while looking at Karaoke. Others can't. If the resizeable window was not added for the possibility of doing this all at the computer, then what was it added for??

What if someone wants to work at their computer, watch karaoke, and they don't have my set-up. Even though I don't have this problem, I could understand the need. I don't know how hard it would be to add this or that feature to the program.

The company is very frank about saying that this feature or that feature would not be worth it. That's life. I love what MTU has done for me. But, have they asked us to stop looking for possibilities?
Old April 18th, 2003, 08:45 PM

I do recall saying that it was a matter of preference.
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Certainly worth putting on the Wish List

Well, I guess it's nice to know this behavior is not the fault of my installation, but...

If that's the way it's suppose to work, it really should be documented. ;-) One shouldn't have to spend time trying to fix something that isn't broke.

When I burn a new compilation disc, I typically do the following: Preview the disc to make sure all went well, create a label for the disc and lastly, print a pocket-size playlist (so I remember which track to request once I've handed over the disc to the KJ).

I do consider not being able to verify the disc while creating the label or the song list to be more than a minor annoyance.

Sure I can live with it, and I have nothing but praise for what MTU has accomplished. But I am curious what the technical issue is that prevents the desired multi-tasking.

bernie
Old April 18th, 2003, 10:01 PM

Bernie,

I agree with Jahern that under normal circumstances the "windowed" mode serves no apparant purpose. That's why I default to full screen mode.

The main reason MTU added the "Windowed" feature was because Microstudio will now run in dual display mode***. I guess some are using it as an inexpensive way to do Karaoke shows. It occurs to me though as I'm typing this, that if that's the case, then perhaps the "muting " effect is in fact a bug. Then one does have cause to wonder why that's not been reported before. You guys could just be right

Would suggest that you post on the Microstudio New Features Forum your desire to have the "muting " effect removed in a future upgrade. You never know.

Was glad at least that through this discussion, you found it was not your system..

Take care,

George

*** See ADMIN's post dated today in the Microstudio New Feature Request Forum under the "add WMA compression to Microstudio" thread.
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:17 AM

George,

Funny you mention dual display mode. The pc I use does have dual monitors... lots of real estate to keep applications from hiding each other. A nice feature of dual monitors is the operating system remembering where a given application's window was last placed. Therefore, having dragged the lyrics window to the right monitor one time, that's now it's default.

So even with lyrics full screen on the right, the left monitor is free to use for other applications. Now you can further appreciate the frustration of the "mute issue" not letting me take advantage of this set-up. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestion to check the New Feature Forum.

bernie
Old April 19th, 2003, 08:49 PM

What post, George?

George,

In your last message you ended by saying... See ADMIN's post dated today in the Microstudio New Feature Request Forum under the "add WMA compression to Microstudio" thread.

I only see two messages there. The original post on 3/18/03 and the admin reply on 3/20/03. What message are you refering to?

Thanks,

bernie
Old April 19th, 2003, 09:48 PM

I'm sorry,
Admin's post was the 3/19 one. I goofed on the date what with yesterday being 4/19 , but the thread's right started by TOTIS, and the topic's right. In it ADMIN refers to Microstudio running dual display among other things. I was just using it as reference incase my statement regarding dual display came under fire.

George