MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:16 AM

Out of Balance CD+G Disks

I've seen message threads discussing the merits of one brand over another from a sonic standpoint, but am I the only one who finds certain brands of disks to be so physically out of balance that the drive vibrates when they're spun up?

Having just received my Plextor 48/24/48U, I thought I had a defective drive. Turned out just by chance, the first disk I put in the drive was a Music Maestro.

Whether it's the layers of paint/silk screen on the label or some other quality control issue, most of the Music Maestro disks cause this new drive to vibrate like a food processor.

A random check of Sound Choice and Sweet Georgia Brown disks haven't revealed a similar balance problem.

bernie
Old January 22nd, 2003, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Cool Read on our MTU Silver CDR media...

Bernie, you are absolutely right!

For a bit more info that you might appreciate, read the lower part of our MTU Silver CDR media. I think you will appreciate it!
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:26 PM

Bernie,
Yes I have had some vibration from some of my discs reading at 40X, I have found that cleaning my discs first helps some.
We use contract Kjocks, and have found that Pizza and wing sauce does make the old discs shake when spinning that fast.
For most backups I just use a clean tshirt washed without fabric softner, use my breath to make a damp section on the disc then wipe from the center out. Five or six sections to clean most discs, have had to use plain water for some really stickie sauce.
I get better backups using cleaned discs, and better backups at the higher read speeds.

Jim