MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: If in emergency, would you use your CDG's and cdg player in place of using Hoster?
No, I would not host w/o Hoster and would cancel the show. 21 30.88%
I would revert back to using discs for that night. 47 69.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcox View Post
use your printer, or save to computer, (your order.)
also credit card trail.
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure, as I buy all my discs on CD's. Very expensive, but I still purchase every request.

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM

I can't believe I got sucked into this hypothetical crap.
All I can say is I've never cancelled or givin up a show and hopefully i'll never be forced to.
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stublack View Post
I can't believe I got sucked into this hypothetical crap.
All I can say is I've never cancelled or givin up a show and hopefully i'll never be forced to.
Sheesh, you're right, though, it IS all hypothetical, but not necessarily crap. I think most of us generate these polls just to see if there is a portion of us that may think like them.

For example, what I would do in this hypotheitical situation, which is not even likely, but could happen if my main computer was sent away for repairs for a couple of weeks and the backup laptop was left at my daughter's house out of town. And I had four or five days to make a decision on what to do.

Basically, I would do this. Find another KJ to take my place, instead of setting up all kinds of stuff (cd players, karaoke machine, cd's, and cdg's and putting on a standard; so-so show like all the other Disc guys do around here. I would offer that night to one of those guys, upon approval of the bar owner. That way, I've helped someone out, kept up my loyal attitude, and didn't go backwards in time and look like another so-so.

I mean, with all the backup contingencies I have, that may only happen once in a lifetime.

And, upon my surprise, and compliments to MTU, a 1/3 of us seem to think this way. I found that interesting.
Not crap.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM

deleted

Erectile dysfunction treatment

Last edited by George; January 22nd, 2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM

If you come out here and give your opinion and state what you would do in a near impossible situation is pretty interesting. But to be slammed and criticized for what you say is crap and not very interesting.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM

Host without Hoster

Quote:
If you come out here and give your opinion and state what you would do in a near impossible situation is pretty interesting. But to be slammed and criticized for what you say is crap and not very interesting.
I agree with Bryan, But don't know where you are coming from. I didn't see his message as slamming anyone, nor did he say anyone's opinion was "crap". Maybe you can explain!!
just an opinion
Muzicman
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
I agree with Bryan, But don't know where you are coming from. I didn't see his message as slamming anyone, nor did he say anyone's opinion was "crap". Maybe you can explain!!
just an opinion
Muzicman
Oh, ok, sorry bout any confusion on my part here.
I mentioned that in the event of possible system failures,
what would we do? May we not want to continue the show, or would we go and set up our old disc system?

The "crap" thing was somebody else's comment below. I just mentioned that it is not necessarily crap. All I learned from the poll was that about a third of us really depend on Hoster. So the poll was really no more than "Hoster dependency" check, you might say? Something I was curious about one day, so I'd thought I'd ask.

Actually, I think some of us have gone so far as to say that if Hoster and and other programs of this type were to become illegal or wiped away somehow, we would not host any more at all. I think I am one of them, as I've gotten to the point where I was wearing away using discs just before I discovered Hoster. I would still DJ though.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM

I read the comment made after my first posting. a unneccessary negative comment. What I meant about getting sucked into this is I did find what people had to say why the would or would not run a show interesting. I just did not appreciate those who felt it necessary to criticize those that did not agree with their opinion.

In my opinon the underlying theme of this thread was there is only one right answer and that is to say NO Way. I went back to the beginning of the thread and saw that to be true throughout, that if anybody gave there honest answer and said yes they were immediately slammed. My comment said nothing negative about those people who would not, yet I was immediatley slammed because I gave the wrong answer. That's the part that is crap.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
just an opinion
Muzicman
Sorry bout the long explanation here musicman, I did think at first you were talking to me. Guess I just explained myself again, and you are right, I didn't say antone's opinion was crap.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
VIP

Quote:
I read the comment made after my first posting. a unneccessary negative comment. What I meant about getting sucked into this is I did find what people had to say why the would or would not run a show interesting. I just did not appreciate those who felt it necessary to criticize those that did not agree with their opinion.

In my opinon the underlying theme of this thread was there is only one right answer and that is to say NO Way. I went back to the beginning of the thread and saw that to be true throughout, that if anybody gave there honest answer and said yes they were immediately slammed. My comment said nothing negative about those people who would not, yet I was immediatley slammed because I gave the wrong answer. That's the part that is crap.

Oh, I see.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM

Host without Hoster

[quote=bryant;69891]Oh, ok, sorry bout any confusion on my part here.
what would we do? May we not want to continue the show, or would we go and set up our old disc system?

The "crap" thing was somebody else's comment below. I just mentioned that it is not necessarily crap. All I learned from the poll was that about a third of us really depend on Hoster. So the poll was really no more than "Hoster dependency" check, you might say? Something I was curious about one day, so I'd thought I'd ask.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
VIP

[quote=muzicman144;69899]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Oh, ok, sorry bout any confusion on my part here.

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Basically, I would do this. Find another KJ to take my place, instead of setting up all kinds of stuff (cd players, karaoke machine, cd's, and cdg's and putting on a standard; so-so show like all the other Disc guys do around here. I would offer that night to one of those guys, upon approval of the bar owner. That way, I've helped someone out, kept up my loyal attitude, and didn't go backwards in time and look like another so-so.
Just out of curiosity what make the computer show so much above par than a disc based show? I've never understood that personally. I like the computer for ease, but I can actually do just as good of a show with my discs. I use the computer as a player, nothing more.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Just out of curiosity what make the computer show so much above par than a disc based show?

NO DISCS!
Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Hoster without Hoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
NO DISCS!
Jim
Which, despite all his explanations, is exactly why He uses Hoster!!!!!

Muzicman
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
VIP

Well no that is not the reason I use Hoster, I use it for convenience. My discs are still with me every show & can go back to running them under a minute of shutting the computer down if needed be.
Besides having 'discs', unless the kj absolutely did not know how to run a show, or only had one player so dead air was rampant between songs while he tried to cue up another, a disc based show CAN in FACT be run just as smooth as a computer based - again sometimes even faster as I have been to shows where the kj had let the 'auto' feature play so it would play entire song outros no matter how long, try Comfortably Numb & FreeBird back to back, that about a songs worth of non singing right there.
That is all I am getting at. Other than 'no discs', a computer run show is not going to make a show that much better.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Well no that is not the reason I use Hoster, I use it for convenience. My discs are still with me every show & can go back to running them under a minute of shutting the computer down if needed be.
Besides having 'discs', unless the kj absolutely did not know how to run a show, or only had one player so dead air was rampant between songs while he tried to cue up another, a disc based show CAN in FACT be run just as smooth as a computer based - again sometimes even faster as I have been to shows where the kj had let the 'auto' feature play so it would play entire song outros no matter how long, try Comfortably Numb & FreeBird back to back, that about a songs worth of non singing right there.
That is all I am getting at. Other than 'no discs', a computer run show is not going to make a show that much better.
Since you started using Hoster have you ever HAD to use your disc?

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:41 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Since you started using Hoster have you ever HAD to use your disc?

Jim
Not one disc has been touched on this end, evah!

Old January 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM

Question Lost...

Sorry guys - this is totally unrelated but where do I go to submit a new thread...??? I can't remember what I did last time..... Doh
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:04 AM

'Host without Hoster?'

Changing the subject a little. I had the unique experience several months ago. A competitor of sorts was hosting her Karaoke Show at my American Legion Post. Fortunately or unfortunately her Hoster laptop's audio out connection completely failed. She had her disks, but no player to play them. She knew that I always carried my Hoster laptop and disks with me, well I bailed her out. (BTW this is not the first time I have pulled her out of the fire). She went on to use my system and books for her show. ( I was compensated for my trouble).
Give me your opinion of how I should have handled this problem. You have to understand that this situation happened at my post.
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB