MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: If in emergency, would you use your CDG's and cdg player in place of using Hoster?
No, I would not host w/o Hoster and would cancel the show. 21 30.88%
I would revert back to using discs for that night. 47 69.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Gentlemen let's keep this civil and respectful of each others views or opinions. There is no need to get upset over it. Think before you post.
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:19 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
True, but even that isn't a huge issue but yes Hoster is much better in that respect. I do not use cd books, all discs are clearly labled in their jewel cases, on the counter & easy to grab in a flash - I still use slips with disc numbers so no looking up songs. But yes this would be the only drawback, but not a major time constraint unless it happened every song - which it doesn't. I get people that want to change their song at the last minute once maybe twice a night. Usually if they want to change, there would be plenty of time to reload it before it came up.
I see, Lonnie. Before we had Hoster my wife and I were considered pretty quick with the discs too. I do see where you're coming from too. We tend to promote (and maybe too much) song switching and just "tell us when you want and when". So we spoiled a lot of friends (live in small town and personally know the drunks too) and now get a lot of weird requests at the last minute. Then again, you're right when you say that when using discs, most ppl won't expect that to happen anyway, and know that to change a song last second wouldn't even be a reasonable request.

Old November 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

I would and have in the past reverted back to my CD+g disc's after my lap top broke down about 2 years ago, had to have a new mother board fitted. I have backed up all the songs but have not got a backup laptop.
As I number all my disks with the same disk ID as in Hoster. IE if disk id is 342-15 I just number the disk 342 this way I can use the same song books and find the song quite easy. I Don't store my disks in their original CD cases, I have 3 case logic cases which have vinyl pages and each stores 200 Cd's. My books only list about 5000 songs, as the size of the books get too big with more than this in. I list them in Artist order & Title order in same book with duets and new releases at the back. I use 100 leaf display folders which gives you 200 pages to show. I state in the books that only the most popular songs are shown but that they can request others and I will try to find them which is easy enough with the search feature in Hoster but if I was using my disc's I would just carry the ones in the songbook. I usually have my cd+g player hooked up anayway as I prefer this for playing any singers own disks and some have them on dvd anyway and my player can play both with instant access.
So I voted yes I would but I must say that it is a lot less work hosting with Hoster.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
When i meet people with your attitude, i immediately dismiss them as pure jerks, and don't even bother with them.
Muzicman
Ditto!

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM

wow

WEll I dont know how this got this far down the road.....l....I guess what ever is fast for you is fast for you, all of us Im sure think we are the best at what we do, or most of us would be changing things, the bottom line is, it matters where you are playing and how many songs you get per hours. If you are a a club that does old old country, you are going to do a lot of songs per hour, because the songs are less than 3 mins, but if you are at a younger crowded club, and the songs are 4min 30 secs long it is pretty obvious that you cant do as man, so I must agree that what is fast for you is pretty darn fast, but the next guy may have a total different concept of speed, for me I have to slow down b ecause in my time between songs and introducing singers, Im constently on the mic doing adds for whats going on in the club when Im not there and hwat dinner specials and whats coming on the future for them, but if you are happy with, and your club is happy with how and what you do whats the point here?
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM

wow

WEll I dont know how this got this far down the road.....l....I guess what ever is fast for you is fast for you, all of us Im sure think we are the best at what we do, or most of us would be changing things, the bottom line is, it matters where you are playing and how many songs you get per hours. If you are a a club that does old old country, you are going to do a lot of songs per hour, because the songs are less than 3 mins, but if you are at a younger crowded club, and the songs are 4min 30 secs long it is pretty obvious that you cant do as man, so I must agree that what is fast for you is pretty darn fast, but the next guy may have a total different concept of speed, for me I have to slow down b ecause in my time between songs and introducing singers, Im constently on the mic doing adds for whats going on in the club when Im not there and hwat dinner specials and whats coming on the future for them, but if you are happy with, and your club is happy with how and what you do whats the point here?

Danny.........kowboys karaoke
where karaoke is more than a song..........
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan matney View Post
me I have to slow down b ecause in my time between songs and introducing singers, Im constently on the mic doing adds for whats going on in the club when Im not there and hwat dinner specials and whats coming on the future for them, but if you are happy with, and your club is happy with how and what you do whats the point here?.......
The point for me is someone repeatidly stating something CAN'T be done. The point is a matter of simple math. 2 separate players. The next song is always cued up to the point of the music while the current song is playing. The outro is used for applause/call next singer/announcements or whatever, but usually will take no more than 10 seconds. Alot of songs have intro screens that can take 5-10 seconds before the music starts - you can't cue up to the music in Hoster currently, so this is at least 5 seconds per song - depending on the brand I have seen as much as a 20 second splash screen also have a few that are almost instant. Figure approx 13 songs per hour based on a 4:30 minute songs (our crowds are alot heavier rock/pop that are typically 4 minutes avg) this is 1 minute of extra time. As for outros, many many songs have at least 20-30 seconds or more, some I have seen 1-2 minutes of music playing at the end of all singing when the singer leaves the stage (Freebird has about 4 minutes, Comfortably Numb has about 3 minutes even Gunpowder & Lead has about 1 minute+ (couple examples)) - unless you let it play to the end, this is wasted time - exception may be if the dance floor is packed. So figure maybe an avg of 45 seconds per song - take away the 10 seconds for my announcements during the outro - as some are more, some are less, this is an avg of 8 minutes of extra time. Add this to the 1-2 minutes above, this equates to about enough time to get 1-2 more songs in for that hour.
Now for an EXACT same show (playlist) using Hoster in it's current setup, using auto mode - as many seem to use - some exclusively (needing to let the songs play from the very beginning to the absolute very end plus the little few second delay between songs, there is no possible way the computer can be faster. Now again when Hoster adds the start/stop points feature so we can set each songs starting point & when it needs to end and also the crossfading feature between songs, then I will concede that Hoster will be even faster than my method and will NEVER bring up the topic again!
Hopefully this explains it and this will be my last post about it in this thread.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; November 9th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old November 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Host Without Hoster

Quote:
The point for me is someone repeatidly stating something CAN'T be done. The point is a matter of simple math. 2 separate players. The next song is always cued up to the point of the music while the current song is playing. The outro is used for applause/call next singer/announcements or whatever, but usually will take no more than 10 seconds. Alot of songs have intro screens that can take 5-10 seconds before the music starts - you can't cue up to the music in Hoster currently, so this is at least 5 seconds per song - depending on the brand I have seen as much as a 20 second splash screen also have a few that are almost instant. Figure approx 13 songs per hour based on a 4:30 minute songs (our crowds are alot heavier rock/pop that are typically 4 minutes avg) this is 1 minute of extra time. As for outros, many many songs have at least 20-30 seconds or more, some I have seen 1-2 minutes of music playing at the end of all singing when the singer leaves the stage (Freebird has about 4 minutes, Comfortably Numb has about 3 minutes even Gunpowder & Lead has about 1 minute+ (couple examples)) - unless you let it play to the end, this is wasted time - exception may be if the dance floor is packed. So figure maybe an avg of 45 seconds per song - take away the 10 seconds for my announcements during the outro - as some are more, some are less, this is an avg of 8 minutes of extra time. Add this to the 1-2 minutes above, this equates to about enough time to get 1-2 more songs in for that hour.
Now for an EXACT same show (playlist) using Hoster in it's current setup, using auto mode - as many seem to use - some exclusively (needing to let the songs play from the very beginning to the absolute very end plus the little few second delay between songs, there is no possible way the computer can be faster. Now again when Hoster adds the start/stop points feature so we can set each songs starting point & when it needs to end and also the crossfading feature between songs, then I will concede that Hoster will be even faster than my method and will NEVER bring up the topic again!
Hopefully this explains it and this will be my last post about it in this thread.
Now We know to the second how to take two cdg players to out perform one Hoster Computer to the second. Without a doubt, two cdg players are faster. I was only talking about one cdg vs one Hoster. I think it is great advertisement for Hoster that this is the point. Now if one were using Two Hoster Computers...............................................................................?
We cannot outrun the clock, but we can manage it. My only point. Why would one herd the singers like cattle without a second to waste.
Muzicman
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
VIP

Well at least you FINALLY admitted in your own post that it's possible! Yes using Hoster on 2 separate computers could achieve the same exact effect, but again you would need 2 separate computers running at the same time. This I will concede. And I completely agreed with you on SEVERAL occasions that the one cdg player vs Hoster is in no way faster than Hoster & never could be.
But when Hoster allows stop/start points & crossfading, then 1 computer can & will be as fast as two separate players, again I will concede this fact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
We cannot outrun the clock, but we can manage it. My only point. Why would one herd the singers like cattle without a second to waste.
Muzicman
Because believe it or not, some people don't like hosts that daudle & flap their gums trying to be the entertainer or taking up time in between songs & like a fast paced 'get the singer up now' show. I run my show like I would like to see one run. It works for me & our shows. So I continue it, if it didn't work, I would not do it.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old November 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Honor Roll

Quote:
some people ..... like a fast paced 'get the singer up now' show.
I agree. I feel that is what they are there for. Not to listen to me sing, talk, or tell jokes. Even though I am hilarious.

Quote:
Because believe it or not, some people don't like hosts that daudle & flap their gums

I'm going to leave this one alone
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:45 AM

This is the first time I've been to this post in a long time. A lot has changed for me since I last posted and I can't believe this same argument is going on. If I come back here 10 years from now will you still be disputing. LET IT GO!!!!
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Yea, you are right dont understand the dispute myself, not going there any more, I posted questions about serious stuff on here a long time ago and never got one response to it, but this thread keepscoming to me, and the best answer on this subject helps no one. So, tell me, why cant I burn copies on the new software of chartbuster, this was my question everything works for copies but chartbuster. It does read and write them but but when you put it in a player itwill not play unless you push several numbers and finally it will work been putting up with this for months, maybe Im the only guy to ever have this problem. IM over being too slow or too fast, I just want to do what mtu says it will do.......LOL
kowboy
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Yea, you are right dont understand the dispute myself, not going there any more, I posted questions about serious stuff on here a long time ago and never got one response to it, but this thread keepscoming to me, and the best answer on this subject helps no one. So, tell me, why cant I burn copies on the new software of chartbuster, this was my question everything works for copies but chartbuster. It does read and write them but but when you put it in a player itwill not play unless you push several numbers and finally it will work been putting up with this for months, maybe Im the only guy to ever have this problem. IM over being too slow or too fast, I just want to do what mtu says it will do.......LOL
kowboy
Which CB disks are you having difficulty with? I have no problems loading the CB Artists, Essentials, and the CB Monthly hits. Are you trying to burn one track? Or a whole CD?
Did you post this problem in the right thread?
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM

I odnt know if I posted it in the right thread, I got a question back from someone at mtu I answered thier question and have never heard back from it, I did read a post ofr two that others were having the same problem but never found how they fixed it. When I first got the new burner and the new version of the software, it did it on all the cds I burned everythng went ok until you tried to play one of them and it will not play until you punch several different tracs in then once it starts to playit will play any trac on there. this has been going on for months here, I have got it so that it does burn and the player reads any cd except chartbuster, I cant figure that out.
kowboys karaoke
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I odnt know if I posted it in the right thread, I got a question back from someone at mtu I answered thier question and have never heard back from it, I did read a post ofr two that others were having the same problem but never found how they fixed it. When I first got the new burner and the new version of the software, it did it on all the cds I burned everythng went ok until you tried to play one of them and it will not play until you punch several different tracs in then once it starts to playit will play any trac on there. this has been going on for months here, I have got it so that it does burn and the player reads any cd except chartbuster, I cant figure that out.
kowboys karaoke
I suggest that you repost the question to the Hoster help thread....I haven't had any problems with reading CB disks on my external DVD burner and my laptop.
System #1
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM

It will read chartbuster cds, it just willnot read chartbuster burned cds, Ive tried this in all kinds of cd players, it will not readily read them if they are chratbuster burened cds.
kowboys karaoke
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
VIP

Quote:
It will read chartbuster cds, it just willnot read chartbuster burned cds, Ive tried this in all kinds of cd players, it will not readily read them if they are chratbuster burened cds.
kowboys karaoke
Could be the speed you are burning them at. Are you using Microstudio to burn?
CB discs used to give Hoster a hard time a few years back as well.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old November 12th, 2008, 06:23 PM
VIP

When I played bars that were largely pop and rock I would get 14 songs per hour. Now that I do bars that are primarily country I generally get about 16 songs per hour.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
kowboys karaoke
Lonnie has a good point...How are you burning these disks, are you using Microstudio or are you using some other utility?
System #1
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:44 PM

i made a few duplicate of my chartbuster disc using lexicon 1 step disc copier , a while back, if i can remember it right, it wont play on a player, but it will play on my laptop..i used microstudio using the write disc function, and it took a while for the player to read the disc, and it played fine on my test pc..