MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

View Poll Results: If in emergency, would you use your CDG's and cdg player in place of using Hoster?
No, I would not host w/o Hoster and would cancel the show. 21 30.88%
I would revert back to using discs for that night. 47 69.12%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20th, 2008, 03:34 AM

ouch
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:01 PM

Well it happend I hosted 5 days without hoster. I caught a virus that I could not get rid of "XP-Antispyware 2009" don't click on it
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM

Well thats the reason I never ever put my karaoke puter on line, Im just afraid that it could happen, the only time I put it on wa when I had to, to register my mtu and hoster program never been on since. But Im going to have to do it soon so I can upgrade my stuff.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:42 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
Well it happend I hosted 5 days without hoster. I caught a virus that I could not get rid of "XP-Antispyware 2009" don't click on it
Yeah I went almost 4 weeks without mine as the motherboard died & the guy fixing it (under warranty) was backed up. Finally just went & bought a new one & did it myself. I don't mind the discs, but sure did appreciate getting the computer back up!

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:53 AM

yeah I use my comp for advbertising online and streaming music at the end of the night. Its been over two years since I used discs. the two things I noticed were singers having to look up numbers in books and me having to look up disc when I would have been running sound

I hope It never happens again. I do have my song file backed up on external hard drive but hoster itself wouldn't allow me to.
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:51 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post
yeah I use my comp for advbertising online and streaming music at the end of the night. Its been over two years since I used discs. the two things I noticed were singers having to look up numbers in books and me having to look up disc when I would have been running sound

I hope It never happens again. I do have my song file backed up on external hard drive but hoster itself wouldn't allow me to.
Sad thing is i've been doing it so long I knew most of the disc numbers without having to look them up . Yeah I hope I don't have to do it for a while, I am looking at a laptop for a backup system just in case though. Even though I could run the show just as fast if not faster with discs, I did miss the computer convenience VERY MUCH!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old November 7th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
Sad thing is i've been doing it so long I knew most of the disc numbers without having to look them up . Yeah I hope I don't have to do it for a while, I am looking at a laptop for a backup system just in case though. Even though I could run the show just as fast if not faster with discs, I did miss the computer convenience VERY MUCH!
Just curious, How many songs can you do per hour with disc as compared to using Hoster? This is for everyone one. I'm really curious what the difference is, if any. Without researching or timing it, i would say there is no difference. Hoster just makes the job so much easier as everyone knows.
Muzicman
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM

There is no way that using cds can be as fast or faster than hoster, and because the player you put the cds in has to read the cds before it can play it so this is the time saved, which to me is very significant, it is only a couple songs extra maybe per hour but anythng that keeps the show moving, is worth the effort. I average 18 songs per hour.
Danny
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan matney View Post
There is no way that using cds can be as fast or faster than hoster, and because the player you put the cds in has to read the cds before it can play it so this is the time saved, which to me is very significant, it is only a couple songs extra maybe per hour but anythng that keeps the show moving, is worth the effort. I average 18 songs per hour.
Danny
The only time not accounted for with hoster is the amount of time it takes for one to get to the microphone. Outside of this time factor, Hoster will be much more efficient with time since one should be able to generate their songlist and be off and running.....
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Danny
We hashed this over before. Lonman will come in on this and set you straight. I agree with you. No way disc is faster, though i doubt one can do more songs per hour one way or the other, but Hoster just makes it so much easier.
muzicman
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Ihave a home computer that I do all my business stuff on, I order allmy music on line and a lot of other stuff I do for a couple of busniess, that I run, I even keepmy books for my songs on this puter but always email my song books to myself so if anything happens I have it on line so I can down load it again, if anything happens. I really worry about loosing my song book, that are stored on the puter more than anything it would take months to redo them, or would have to rely, on the hoster books, which I dont like, but never put my work puter or the one I use in shows on line, at all, but like I said mtu makes you do that to get the newest software and I need to do that right now.
kowboys karaoke.....Danny
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Just curious, How many songs can you do per hour with disc as compared to using Hoster? This is for everyone one. I'm really curious what the difference is, if any. Without researching or timing it, i would say there is no difference. Hoster just makes the job so much easier as everyone knows.
Muzicman
The only reason it's a little quicker & I explained this before. I used multiple players. I would always have the next couple songs cued up - just to the point of the music starting or if a song has an unncesarily long intro that doesn't really need to be play (example Screaming in the night - Krokus has :45 seconds of a SLOW fade in musical build, so I start it when the music actually kicks in, NIB - Black Sabbath has 1:00 of a bass solo, I start the song at 1 minute, Holy Diver - Dio, another one that has an intro fade in type, can't remember the time stamp on this one - these are just some exaples).
When an outro is playing, I ask for applause & call the next singer using the outro as the fill music. We get alot of singers on avg so have to be pretty speedy so the singers know to get up when called. Outro gets faded as the new song starts - like a dj mix. So on average I can get about 2-3 extra songs (depending on length) in per hour by not having to sit through all the intro screens & listening to long outros and even waiting for the outro screens to appear. It may not be appealing to some hosts or even some singers, but the crowds we have appreciate it & continue to return because we try to get as many as we can in per night.
How many songs is really dependant on the songs lengths, there is no set answer to how many an hour. On average - 12-15 per hours without rushing a night. 2-3 more with the short cuts.
Don't get me wrong I love Hoster, and was very happy to get it back up & running.

If a disc user is only using 1 player, then yes Hoster will be much faster as the disc has to get unloaded, put the new disc in, cue it up, wait, then play through all the intro screens. Hoster eliminates the unloading & loading of discs & soon will have the time stamp points that can be added to each song & crossfading that will be alot closer to the way I used to run with discs.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; November 7th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
VIP

Quote:
Danny
18 songs? That would make every song about 3:30.
Anyway, I will argue the point & you would just have to see it in action to believe it.
A single disc player is slow & Hoster is MUCH faster than that. Multiple disc players - not talking like a dual or triple tray, but 2 separate individual players. The next song is always cued up while the current song is playing.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old November 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
VIP

Quote:
18 songs? That would make every song about 3:30.
Anyway, I will argue the point & you would just have to see it in action to believe it.
A single disc player is slow & Hoster is MUCH faster than that. Multiple disc players - not talking like a dual or triple tray, but 2 separate individual players. The next song is always cued up while the current song is playing.

Except when the next song's singer wants to change his mind, I let them do that because I have Hoster, and they do it all the time (oh, you pick one for me). Then you have to take out the new disk, find it first, exchange it while you are getting ready to stop the first guy that is ending his song. oops, lot of silence there. Then I get to say something about how I can readily do this while the other guys with discs can't, and they all chant "that's why we come here instead. I'm makin' this announcement, getting all this positive feedback while you are looking for the next singer's disc who didn't even write out a slip (just named the song).

Old November 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Except when the next song's singer wants to change his mind, I let them do that because I have Hoster. Then you have to take out the new disk, find it first, exchange it while you are getting ready to stop the first guy that is ending his song. oops, lot of silence there.
True, but even that isn't a huge issue but yes Hoster is much better in that respect. I do not use cd books, all discs are clearly labled in their jewel cases, on the counter & easy to grab in a flash - I still use slips with disc numbers so no looking up songs. But yes this would be the only drawback, but not a major time constraint unless it happened every song - which it doesn't. I get people that want to change their song at the last minute once maybe twice a night. Usually if they want to change, there would be plenty of time to reload it before it came up.

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Old November 8th, 2008, 02:21 AM

Host without Hoster

My last two cents in. Lonman will argue his speed forever and it is not the question here. You can only have so many songs per hour no matter how fast you are with disc or hoster. When you factor every possibillity in, you can't out run the clock. Only so many songs per hour. I can fill up an hour with the same amount of songs with or without hoster, no matter how fast i do it, the songs still have to play. Talk all you want about how fast you are, the amout of songs you can possibly play an hour remain the same. Speed is not the answer, management is. Hoster makes it easier.
muzicman
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Speed is not the answer, management is. Hoster makes it easier.
muzicman
The real gist of this thread is not to ever be in this situation. This is why I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have my backup computer with me during a show. I can change it out in under 3 minutes. I keep an MP3 player handy to play 1 dance song while I make the change. I have only had to do this once or twice a year until lately The most unnerving time is running the show on my backup computer until I get the other one fixed.
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:22 AM
VIP

Quote:
My last two cents in. Lonman will argue his speed forever and it is not the question here. You can only have so many songs per hour no matter how fast you are with disc or hoster. When you factor every possibillity in, you can't out run the clock. Only so many songs per hour. I can fill up an hour with the same amount of songs with or without hoster, no matter how fast i do it, the songs still have to play. Talk all you want about how fast you are, the amout of songs you can possibly play an hour remain the same. Speed is not the answer, management is. Hoster makes it easier.
muzicman
Actually I had another rebuttal posted, but you aren't worth the arguement. Believe what you want Just because you can't do it, must make it true!

Win 8.1 64bit
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Last edited by Lonman; November 8th, 2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Host without Hoster

Quote:
Actually I had another rebuttal posted, but you aren't worth the arguement. Believe what you want Just because you can't do it, must make it true!
When i meet people with your attitude, i immediately dismiss them as pure jerks, and don't even bother with them.
Muzicman
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Host without Hoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post
The real gist of this thread is not to ever be in this situation. This is why I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have my backup computer with me during a show. I can change it out in under 3 minutes. I keep an MP3 player handy to play 1 dance song while I make the change. I have only had to do this once or twice a year until lately The most unnerving time is running the show on my backup computer until I get the other one fixed.
You are 100% correct. I carry two of everything to every show, and keep another old shuttle at home to backup the backup. You can pick up a backup computer for almost nothing. I will never understand someone who doesn't, but that's a personal choice that is sometimes financially based.
muzicman