MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microeditor Software > Microsound Workstation Open Forum

Microsound Workstation Open Forum General postings about Microsound workstations.

Old September 18th, 2002, 05:41 PM

Krystal DSP problem with Soundscape card

I realize that this is a really specific problem that might be best resolved with a phone call to MTU but I decided to post it here first incase someone else has had a similar issue.

I'm having a strange hardware conflict with the Krystal board.

I’m trying to get my Soundscape REd external hard-disk recorder to use my MicroSound computer. (The Soundscape is an outboard system that only uses the computer as the user interface. I don’t intend to use MicroSound and Soundscape simultaneously. I just want them to live in the same computer with the same monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.)

The Soundscape uses a small PCI interface card that connects the outboard unit to the computer. There is no DSP on the card. Whenever I have this card installed in the computer, upon bootup I get a message “Krystal DSP #1 has Rev A DSP which is no longer supported.” This is in the “DOS like” screen early on before windows starts. I then get the familiar “Unable to Download DSP56301 Code” error message after I get into windows, and of course MicroEditor doesn’t run.

If I take the Soundscape PCI card out, everything is fine and MicroSound works normal. No bizarre Krystal message on boot up.

I’ve tried different slots for the PCI card but there’s no difference. It doesn’t seem to be an IRQ thing as the IRQs are all the same either way. (The Krystal should take IRQ priority anyway based on the order I have the cards in the slots.)

I was a Krystal beta tester way back when MTU was developing the PCI card so my Krystal is as old as it gets. Perhaps I actually do need a newer Krystal card with updated DSP? Any help is appreciated because right now I’m at a loss.

Of course the obvious answer is “Don’t put the Soundscape card in your MicroSound computer” but I’d really like to have my MicroSound and Soundscape together with only one audio computer to deal with in my studio. I realize that what I’m trying to do probably does not fall under any type of “free” tech support but I’m not shy about paying MTU a fee for this. I really want to try to make this work.

My MicroSound computer configuration:

A-bit VH6T motherboard
Intel PIII 1.4 GHz
1 gig SDRAM
Matrox G450 dualhead graphics card
PCI slot #1 - 3-Com Etherlink 10/100 network card
PCI slot #2 - Krystal 2400 - 803-033-2 rev D - DSP301 v1.2 A46A
PCI slot #3 - empty
PCI slot #4 - empty
ISA slot - MicroSync – set to IRQ 4

Win 98 SE
MicroEditor version 5.4

Eric Susch
Rocket Pictures
(845) 620-9512
rocket53@optonline.net
Old September 19th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Frequent Member

Mororola conflict......

This sounds very much like there IS processing connected to that PCI bus interface....I know that that system does use processing in its interface. It is not "native" like Nuendo.

I asked Dave about this when I was inquiring about Krystal living on the same computer with my RME cards and Nuendo. His reply: "It will be fine as long as the other system is not using Motorola 56301 chips" (right model #?)....Anyway, I think the messages and behavior you have above indicate that the Soudscape system does, indeed, use the same processing chips as Krystal.

MTU and Soundscape are both "non-native"...There is a lot of good in this. They just can't share the same PCI bus when they are using the same processing chips.

Bryan et al, chime in if I'm wrong, but I think this one won't fly.
Old September 19th, 2002, 01:38 PM

I am thinking that Geezer hit it on the head from what I know. You can take a look at the Sound Scape board and see if you see a chip on the board that says Motorola. If it does, then see if the model number is 56301. If so, then Dave or Larry would have to give any more feedback on this, but this could be exactly what Geezer has stated above.
Old September 19th, 2002, 03:56 PM

Well, there's no DSP on the Soundscape card. It's simply a communication card similar to a firewire card. I know there IS a 56301 chip in the main Soundscape outboard unit but I'm getting the error with only the PCI card. The main Soundscape unit isn't connected to the card yet.

As far as I know all Soundscape DSP happens in the outboard unit unless you are using the optional Mixpander card which I don't have... (yet... I'll deal with that potential problem if I get one.)

I've attached a .zip with a .jpg photograph of the PCI card in case that reveals something.

Eric Susch
rocket53@optonline.net
Old September 20th, 2002, 10:38 AM

Greetings!

I'm a Soundscape by Mackie dealer and user, based in Philadelphia PA (hi Jim Smith--I think we've interacted in the past.)
I visited this thread yesterday, and copied Eric's original post and sent it to Sydec in Belgium (I've done support for them in the past, so I have good connections with them.) R.Ed's DSP is based on the Motorola 563xx, as is the Mixpander card. But there are no Motorola chips on the host card--all processing is done within the Soundscape hardware (which as Eric pointed out wasn't even connected yet.) I haven't heard back from Sydec yet, but it may turn out that the 2 DAW's may have to be on separate computers (R.Ed is networkable, so if MicroSound is as well, there may be a little more elegant solution there.) I'll keep you posted!
Old September 20th, 2002, 01:49 PM

Our systems do work correctly when networked together with other computers.

Eric another thing to try is try putting your Host card in different PCI slots on the motherboard to see if you can find one that it may work in. Also make sure that it is not taking the Same IRQ as Krystal, if so this could cause some of this problem, I don't think all of it, but I'm not sure.

Let me know what you find out.
Old September 20th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Frequent Member

Hey Bert

Bert- I think you're causing a couple of my old, loose brain cells to flap (was I researching Soundscape with you?), but I haven't made the connection yet, and I lost all my old e-mails to the Klez virus...feel free to contact me directly via mudsmith@earthlink.net

Eric et al- Please keep us updated as to how this venture is going. I think file sharing and networking are in the future for all of us with MicroEditor.
Old October 18th, 2002, 02:41 AM

Just to let you all know, I was never able to get the MicroSound-Soundscape hardware combination to work. I guess there will be at least one more computer in my rack...