MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old January 8th, 2002, 09:02 PM

Smile tdk 241040x

the tdk is not yet supported i don't no why it reads cdg on other programs and it writes cdg 2.314 say it is not supported wonder why
Old January 9th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Question How about some facts here...

Are you only hearing the audio, or have you seen the lyrics on a CDG disc played from, or duplicated in this drive?

What other software is reading CDG discs in this CDR drive?

What are you using to verify that the CDR drive is reading the CDG codes? Do you see the lyrics?

Are you making a backup of a CDG disc and taking it to a Karaoke player and viewing the graphics and lyrics?

TDK buys their drive mechanism from other companies. In their past models, they have used a manufactured mechanism that would do CDG, and Microstudio work fine with them. To our current knowledge, this drive is not CDG capable.

When Microstudio 2.312 or 2.314 runs, it first detects all the CDR drives on your computer. It then sends each found drive a "query" as to what formats it supports. If the drive answers back "CDG" then it will appear in the Reading Drive and Writing Drive fields. If it does not, it is not added to these fields for Karaoke, but will appear for Audio work (select the Karaoke vs Audio, or CDG vs WAV buttons).

Most CDR drives support the RAW DAO 96 mode, which is what CloneCD uses to copy Karaoke CDG discs. However, most drives do not support the CDG mode.

The RAW DAO 96 mode can only make duplicate discs. It does not allow reading or writing individual tracks. Thus, you cannot use our Microstudio Custom Assembly, Import Tracks or Play Tabs which all access individual tracks from the Karaoke disc. Given that CloneCD is the same price, and can only make a duplicate disc, choose whether you want to use their program or MTU's with our full Karaoke CDG support.

FINAL ANSWER: If you are into Karaoke and your CDR can't do CDG mode, you are handicapped. You will also not be able to ever create your own CDG songs, or change the key of Karaoke songs and write them back to a CDG disc. That requires writing Track-At-Once, which DAO (Disc-At-Once) will NOT do.

QED
Old January 9th, 2002, 02:47 PM

Smile tdk 241040x

I have a program called clone cd it works fine to make back up copy of my cdg disk and I have a program that only plays kareoke it plays the cdg on it to but have to slow the read speed down after i downloaded the laetest firmware from there web site did not have to slow it down
Old January 13th, 2002, 06:10 AM

Unhappy TDK CDRW 241040 B

Hi again Ansul 101, I've tried Clone CD, & DiskJuggler and I found they work too. I've written another reply to my original post about it.
Garry.
Old January 25th, 2002, 12:23 AM

TDK 241040 CD-R drive

I have also used CloneCD to create copies of a CD+G CD, and it works fine. But, alas, Microstudio 2.314 does not recognize the drive as supporting Karaoke. I checked with several people at a couple of different stores. . . all of them told me that the TDK 241040 is actually just a Plextor 241040 with TDK on it. Therefore, I am wondering why it won't work in Microstudio.

A.J. Porter
http://ajporter.net
Old January 26th, 2002, 02:40 PM

Stupid Question ???

O/K.. This may, to some of you guys out there sound like a stupid question, but.... can anyone explain to me why some CD writers suport writing CDG and some don't....
how come you can have 2 identical writers made by the same manufacturer ( possibly even made by the same person ) and one will support CDG inso far as, let's say MTU will test it and certify that it does read /write CDG and the other minght not??. Are some, say every 5th one off the production line sprinkled with magic Fairydust!!! There's no great rush for a reply on this one....
Just wondering.
Best Wishes...STEVE
Old January 27th, 2002, 02:10 PM

Playing the devil's advocate for a minute. If it could be considered that if a manufacturer produced one model of a burner that operated in CDG format then ALL ther burners of that identical model should do the same, then why is MTU wasting their time testing each drive they sell ???
Until a better one comes along, I think the answer is obvious.

Take care,

George
Old January 27th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Frequent Member

Take Hewlett Packard for instance, and I'm a big fan of the HP8100, not all models of the 9100 series writer will handle it you have to look for a secial letering on it to make sure it will work for CDG purposes. So I understand the reason to check it before sending it out. MTU would get so many complaints if they didn't check each one they sell.
Old January 27th, 2002, 04:22 PM

Absolutely, Danny. To me, that's the obvious.

Take care,

George

Last edited by George; January 27th, 2002 at 04:28 PM.
Old January 28th, 2002, 03:10 PM

With respect Gentlemen I think you have misunderstood my
question.. Obviously MTU have to check every CD burner they sell
to see if It will read /write CDGs..... I know from personal experience that you can have 2 identical CD burners and one will
read/write CDGs and It's "twin" will not. My question (Stupid as it is) .. Is why

Best Wishes STEVE
Old January 28th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Administrator

The CDG disk format

Most CDR manufacturers ignore the CDG format altogether.

Those that do "support it" do not test the functionality of it in the manufacturing. Thus, they don't know if it works or not.

We have sold Yamaha, Sony, HP, TDK and Plextor CDR drives for CDG work. We burn 3 discs in our certification tests for a drive. We have typically rejected 4 to 6 out of a test lot of 10, and even have rejected all 10 on one lot. The time and materials it takes to test a drive with 3 burns is expensive. That is why we have the higher price.

There are some folks who will "do it themselves" and not need our help. In that case, buy your own CDR drive and work out with the vendor that you have the right to return it if it does not do CDG work. Good luck if it is a cheap drive. They won't like that kind of "open-ended" contract. When it doesn't work, please don't call us. You already know our answer. Buy the CDR drive from us that is already CDG certified.

We sold a drive to a gentleman around January 15, 2002 that already owned EIGHT (8) "CDG capable" CDR drives. Not one of them would work for CDG reliably. When he got our drive, it worked immediately.

What is your time worth?

Are you able to troubleshoot all the conditions that can occur that cause a CDG failure? We list the conditions at our Karaoke CDR page if you want to try it yourself. We only offer this service to insure you have a KNOWN source for a CDG CERTIFIED drives.

Thanks for listening, and I hope you did.
Old January 28th, 2002, 04:56 PM

Steve, Sorry for the misunderstanding.I don't think your question is a stupid one, but rather an excellent one that should be directed to the drive manufacturer. In this endeavor, I wish you good fortune!

Take care,

George
Old January 29th, 2002, 03:23 PM

George
Thank you for your response. You are of course right
my friend... the question I asked should be addressed to the manufacturer's..
In my naivety (and at 45 years old I should have known better)
I honestly thought it was perhaps something like different manufacturer's using differing components i.e PCBs,
or laser heads etc, but it is obvious to me now that this is not
necessarily the case!!

I am now going to our local milk marketing board's forum to ask
anyone in there " how can a black cow give white milk when it only eats green grass".... (joking).

Best Wishes From Yorkshire... STEVE
Old January 29th, 2002, 04:58 PM

LOL

Re: how can a black cow give white milk when it only eats green grass,
Very funny