MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 30th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Microstudio Problem with Write Disc

I got the tracklisting that I want to burn onto a CD and when I begin the write CD process the burning stops at 20%, 80% or none at all and gives me a error saying "Write Disc Aborted" Error and I didn't even do anything to it, very strange. This used to work and now it's suddenly stops on me. Anyone seen something like this? I'm running a Plextor PX 716A DVD R-W Drive. Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

I have a Plextor 716 that has done the same thing to me. I also have an NEC Optiarc drive that is working fine.
There are a couple of possiblities why. One would be the laser has gotten week but is not completely dead so it will start burning but can never finish because it can't burn correctly all the time any more. This is what has happened to mine after roughly 4 years.
Second could be that you need a firmware update from Plextor. You can check what version you have by looking in the Default Drive list. The last item listed in the name is the firmware version. Then match that against the last one issued by Plextor.
Third could be your CDs. I had a batch of music quality CDs that sat in a Sunny area for months. They will no long burn correctly in any program.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:33 AM

I updated both of my PX716's with the firmware that was available on the Plextor website. After the restarting, I tried again and it doesn't work. Maybe the CD's are bad quality (what CD's do you use?) or the disc drive itself is bad. Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks.
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:39 AM

http://www.mtu.com/basics/karaokecdr.htm#CDRMedia

Try burning one of your discs with a non MTU program and see if it completes the burn. This will help pinpoint the problem.

Jim

Test Comp #1: P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM * XP Home SP3 * IE8 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Onboard Sound * Onboard Video * * * MTU Rack (Show Computer) * P4 3GHz * 3gb RAM* XP Home SP3 * IE7 * WMP11 * NF3.5 * Sound Blaster PCI-512 * ATI Raydeon 9200
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:32 PM

Seems the CDs aren't reading when I want to burn some random songs them on Windows media player. CD's used are the Sony CD-R Audio and Atvia CD-R Red Discs.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAYAS104 View Post
Seems the CDs aren't reading when I want to burn some random songs them on Windows media player. CD's used are the Sony CD-R Audio and Atvia CD-R Red Discs.
This still doesn't rule out the drive. Do you have another computer you can use those discs in another drive to burn with and see if it works. If they won't burn there then we can say the discs are bad. If they do burn then probably the Plextor is bad.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:17 PM

The CD's are okay on another computer. It seems that the Plextors can still read the data discs that I burned from my other computer but, the Plextors can't burn discs.

Interesting Plextors are still able to read but not burn. Strangely I can still burn DVD's in another program. In Roxio I can't burn music as it states an error

Last edited by ASAYAS104; March 31st, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

The Read function and the Burn function are two separate operations. The read function uses a low level laser to illuminate the sectors so the sensor can read the data. The burn function uses a high level laser to burn or chemically change the disc to reflect the data being stored there. These lasers are two separate components.
Do you mean you can burn DVD discs with the Plextor through another program?
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
The Read function and the Burn function are two separate operations. The read function uses a low level laser to illuminate the sectors so the sensor can read the data. The burn function uses a high level laser to burn or chemically change the disc to reflect the data being stored there. These lasers are two separate components.
Do you mean you can burn DVD discs with the Plextor through another program?

Yes , I was able to burn a dvd copy with my plextorPX-716A.
Please advice
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like then the circuitry that controls the write laser may not be working right. After you burned the DVD did you test it to see if it worked? I don't know what you burned to the DVD so hard to say what kind of testing you need to do.
If this is the case you can try contacting Plextor to see if they can repair them. I doubt they will and I don't know of anyone else that works on the drives. Like everything else in electronic components they are essentially all throw aways.
If you want to replace them I would suggest MTU's drives as they test every one before they ship them to make sure they will read CDGs. NEC/Sony Optiarc are the drives they use now since Plextor stopped supporting CDG (at least they have stopped listing it as a supported format).
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Sounds like then the circuitry that controls the write laser may not be working right. After you burned the DVD did you test it to see if it worked? I don't know what you burned to the DVD so hard to say what kind of testing you need to do.
If this is the case you can try contacting Plextor to see if they can repair them. I doubt they will and I don't know of anyone else that works on the drives. Like everything else in electronic components they are essentially all throw aways.
If you want to replace them I would suggest MTU's drives as they test every one before they ship them to make sure they will read CDGs. NEC/Sony Optiarc are the drives they use now since Plextor stopped supporting CDG (at least they have stopped listing it as a supported format).
I copied a DVD Movie. I'll just get a new one .
Thanks
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Frequent Member

The Plextor PX-716a continues to be the best burner I've ever owned. Be aware that the Plextors after 760 will not read CDG. Are you using firmware 1.11? If so then I guess it may be time to replace..
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+
RAM - 16 GB Patriot DDR-3 1333 MHz
Video Card - GeForce GT 740 4 GB - Dual Monitors
Drives - Plextor PX-810 SATA & Lite On iHAS
HDD - WD 500GB Sata Drives x 4
Speakers - Inspire 5.1 5700 Digital
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAYAS104 View Post
I got the tracklisting that I want to burn onto a CD and when I begin the write CD process the burning stops at 20%, 80% or none at all and gives me a error saying "Write Disc Aborted" Error and I didn't even do anything to it, very strange. This used to work and now it's suddenly stops on me. Anyone seen something like this? I'm running a Plextor PX 716A DVD R-W Drive. Thanks.
make sure you have the setting on your default drive as plextor read and write drive
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM

I have two plextor PX716A drives, I use one for reading and one for writing and I'm using it to burn a CD-G. When I burn it stops at 20% still and fails to burn. When I use a DVD copying program DVDfab one DVD movie disc and a DVD blank disc iin the drives and t successfully burns a copy. Still I don't know why it doesn't want to burn CD-G from microstudio. I also upgraded the firmware to 1.11 on what was posted on plextor website.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
make sure you have the setting on your default drive as plextor read and write drive

Yes, the setting for read and write are well defined on the setting. anything else to do?
thanks
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM

try switching the 2 drives...maybe one of them will be able to burn cdg's
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM

I did that too. or even using one plextor burner.
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM

i just went back to your first post, and i noticed that you are using a cdr-w..from what i read the recommendation was to use a cd-r, since most cd players are unable to play cdr-w. have you tried using a cd-r?
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Just using cd-r. I have done this before ,it works sometimes ,the recordings before was accepted enough. but afther so many months not using it , it just doesn't work . as i have said goes up to 20% mostly recording then stopped and message error. after 50 tries switching to all was suggested to do. it went to 80% once . I clean the burner. upgrade firmware,switching read to write.

but i tried doing with my laptop and unable to produce a disent copy of a selected song cdg.
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:19 PM

i have my plextor 716a for 4 years now and i never had a problem with it..i guessed my suggestion is maybe to get another drive..you can get almost any cd/dvd that can read cdg's now and they're cheap..i have a lightscribe and eomega slim design and they both read/write cdg's..