MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old August 30th, 2011, 01:25 PM

Anti Virus Software

I keep getting a reminder on my home P.C. (Does not have mtu products installed on it) from McAfee that my anti virus software is up for subscription renewal. I was wondering what everyone else is using for anti virus software? And......... i've caught a couple of bugs this year. Why doesn't my McAfee catch these? What good is anti virus software if it doesn't catch the virus that are out there? Frustrating.
Old August 30th, 2011, 02:01 PM
VIP

Re: Anti Virus Software

I've just been using the Microsoft Security Essentials on my Win 7 for the last year. This is my home computer and always on the internet, haven't had any issues (knock on wood). I do keep it on 24/7 and have it update automatically between 3 & 4 once a week.
Before using that I got free McAfee Suite through Comcast for being a user. My wife still has that on her computer that the kids use but she has virus problems all over.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB

Like us on Facebook http://facebook.com/lonmanproductions
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
I keep getting a reminder on my home P.C. (Does not have mtu products installed on it) from McAfee that my anti virus software is up for subscription renewal. I was wondering what everyone else is using for anti virus software? And......... i've caught a couple of bugs this year. Why doesn't my McAfee catch these? What good is anti virus software if it doesn't catch the virus that are out there? Frustrating.
An Anti-virus program can only catch viruses that it knows about or one that may use a known signature format. If it is a brand new version then some are going to get infected before the companies can identify, determine how to handle it and update their definitions.
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Thanks guys, my provider does not supply anti virus like the big guys do. I'm out here in the woods. I keep the auto updates on all the time. But seems like it just isn't worth the high price i pay for my anti virus software. I realize i have to have something on here. But i'm paying close to $60 a year, and still pick up stuff. very frustrating. The last bug i got was "Windows XP Total Security". Took us two days to get rid of it. That virus is at least 3 years old. Time to look for something else. I'm open to suggestions, no "Norton" please.
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
Thanks guys, my provider does not supply anti virus like the big guys do. I'm out here in the woods. I keep the auto updates on all the time. But seems like it just isn't worth the high price i pay for my anti virus software. I realize i have to have something on here. But i'm paying close to $60 a year, and still pick up stuff. very frustrating. The last bug i got was "Windows XP Total Security". Took us two days to get rid of it. That virus is at least 3 years old. Time to look for something else. I'm open to suggestions, no "Norton" please.
Like Lonman posted I use Microsoft Security Essentials for my Win 7. Sorry George I use and have used Norton's (Symantec Antivirus only) for years on my XP computers.
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM
VIP

I got infected a couple of weeks ago, and had to take my laptop into the shop in order to have it fumigated... two days and $150 later it's back up and working... I was using AVG Free, with no problems for about 6 mos., and I put it to the test with the internet, music sharing sites, and other risky sites! Then I think I restored to a previous date that might have been missing a patch for a tuff little virus or worm, and it froze up my computer, to where I couldn't even log in, or use the keypad, or mouse... so I had to take it into the shop ( I use a company in Tucson, about 70 miles away )and see what they could do with it! The technician said it was the toughest worm/virus that he had tried to eliminate in a long time! ( that much I knew! lol )

Anyway he loaded a free trial version of Avast on it for replacement of the AVG free, and recommended the paid (registered) version of Avast or Kaspersky once the trial period runs out. ( I've got a $60 version of Kaspersky waiting to be loaded in a couple of weeks ). He also advised paying for the registered version of Malwarebytes ( I had been using the free version of that also! ) which I have also done!

So if I become infected again, to where I can't solve the problem... I will only be using the internet to update Hoster on my Show Laptop!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:36 PM

I use Trend Micro Titanium http://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us...nium-2012.aspx

And ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...r-security.htm

This also is a good tool IObit Malware Fighter PRO http://www.iobit.com/malware-fighter-pro.html

Couple of bucks now will save you a bundle and a headache too...

This tool is a great one to have to speed up performance in your laptop GameBooster http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5952

Good Luck,
Joe....
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM

Musicman51,

Why no Norton?

My new laptop came with Norton free for 90 days and I will have to decide what to use after that.

My company used Norton and allowed us to install it on our home computers also, which I did and I never had a problem. The only problem I ever found with Norton was bootup time (slow booting up).

However, I've been retired 11 years... What has changed with Norton?
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM

@Kod

Resource hungry for one, slow bootup, among other things that people post on threads all the time, the ones I use don't have these issues and that is why I didn't list it..

I posted the links, so you can make the decision, you can try it for free...before you buy....

Don't forget that you are using programs that need alot more resources then a word processor or a spreadsheet program to function properly...

Not having another hungry resource program running all kinds of background services the better for your computer too deliver, especially with Video and Karaoke....

Good Luck,
Joe....
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:07 PM

I own a number of computers that are on the internet regularly, they have Norton Internet Security 2011 loaded on them.

I also have several resource dedicated computers that I have put together that I have installed Microsofts Security Essentials on an have found it to be fairly efficient and effective. It is also FREE.

I have repaired a number of computers for other people that were using the "other brand"s of free A/V software and I had to repair them because the software did not work.