MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old November 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Use microphone plus karaoke song

Want to know if i can play a karaoke song and sing along with it (not record) and listen to both real time thru pc speakers?
Old November 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Use microphone plus karaoke song

As long as the microphone is plugged into the computer (which limits the quality of microphones available) then yes you can listin to both through the computer speakers.
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well I don't know how you set it up because I can't seem to hear my voice direct, only on playback from recording.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old November 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

That could be true Roy because of the way Microstudio is set up to be used for recording only. Didn't check it before I posted answer. For that matter it may be the way computers are set up to prevent microphone feedback that would prevent this from working. When you use a microphone for voice chat for example you don't want to have feedback coming through the computers speakers.
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWalt38 View Post
Want to know if i can play a karaoke song and sing along with it (not record) and listen to both real time thru pc speakers?
There is a "digital delay" that would disrupt your singing. It is NOT like an analog mixer that has ZERO delay from the music playing to the Mic signal mixing with it and playing out the Mixer "Speaker outputs".

We have a developed an elaborate "calibration method" to allow the recorded file to be skewed "backward" to be in sync with the played file; i.e. removing the digital buffer delays that are inherent in recording with a computer. There is no way we can do this with live mixing.

To do what you want will require an external analog mixer. Radio Shack has some inexpensive ones for home use. I believe there are some Threads in the "Hosts and Singers Wisdom" Forum that address mixers.
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Thanks guys!!!! Probably won't accomplish what i want (to practice singing karaoke with my pc and headphones).

Never know until you try.

Thanks again
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

I just found a setting in the Windows 7 sound settings that allows this although as Admin states there is a slight delay from you singing and the sound from the speakers. Should you want to try it and have a windows 7 setup this is how to set it. (Maybe the same for Vista)
Start/Control Panel/Sound, then click Recording tab, right click on Microphone & select properties then click on the "Listen" Tab, there is a tick box there "Listen to this Device" press Apply and OK.
Now open Microstudio and try it. Works on mine.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:22 PM

it just easier to use Microstudio ( for me anyway ) to practice and listen in real time , i use 2 powered KRK 8"studio monitor w/ 10 "sub. plugged into my board , or you can just plug in a headphone, instead of doing all that configuration in your pc..pc speaker is not really powerful enough for vocals. in my opinion, its only good for audio playback..
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:31 PM

On my studio puter with micro studio i have a little desk top samson mixer i purchased used locally for $30 for just this purpose. I run headphones from the little samson, it's easy to hook up to. It takes one set of RCA cables and boy it sure works dandy. I leave the little samson set right on my computer desk, just turn it on when i need it. No need to power up my big studio board, rack gear, and headphone amp.