MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old September 21st, 2004, 05:15 AM

Laser Disc..to..CDG / DVD

I have several hundred (old) Pioneer Laser Disc's (12in.). I want to buy a software that will allow me to convert them to CDG's and / or DVD's. Will Micro studio do this? If so, will it read the laser disc's to my hard drive, and then allow me to burn a CDG and or DVD, from the hard drive, while leaving the original copy on the hard drive. The reason I'm interested in this is because I am going to buy Micro Studio...AND...Hoster..., so I can convert to computerized Karaoke, and I would like to keep a "Hard" copy of these Laser Disc's as well as a copy on my hard drive. I already have a Pioneer CLD-V510 Laaser disc player...and a...Plextor cd burner, as well as a multi-format DVD burner.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM

Re: Laser Disc..to..CDG / DVD

That is a full plate of questions.

1. Microstudio will extract cdg files from a cdg karaoke disc if one uses a cdg compliant drive.

2. Microstudio does not convert files

3. Saving saving laser discs to the hard drive of a computer requires different things depending on your ultimate need:

-To save the sound only to the computer you need a connection to your sound card and a program that will record from a line-in to some music file format (Wave files are the format that you can use in a program that you don't mention, KHPRO. Programs that allow you to record Wave files are easy to come by)

-To save the Laser video and sound you need a video capture card. Depending on the software you have, you can most likely take these captured video files and burn them to vcd or dvd

4. You can create cdgs of the music you have on Laser disc by recording Wave files and adding text and graphics (not video) using KHPRO.

I have a lot of experience with recording wave files and creating cdg's. I haven't captured video. But I think my advice is solid. Do not look to Microstudio to convert Laserdisc to any format at all.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:27 PM

You can do this as is stated with a video capture hardware device. I use a device made by plextor. It is the convert x. I purchased mine from www.plextor.com. You hook your laser disc player to the convert x and hook the convert x to your computer. This device has the software included. Then you create either a vcd or dvd to burn to disc. You won't be able to play these yet through hoster or microstudio from mtu, but in the future hoster will allow you to play them but not import them to the database. You will need to carry these disks with you but that's a lot better than lugging around the laser disks, which I did for many years. Hope this helps.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:44 AM

Which "model" Plextor Convert X, do you have? There are several models...
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:19 AM

I have the model number PX-M402U, however any of their 3 models should work fine because all of them will capture the music and video and allow you to either create to vcd or dvd. The only draw back in capturing the video is it is done in real time, which is somewhat time consuming. Also, you will want to capture each track separate so you can create each one into a chapter so it isn't one big long video stream. Just play with it and you'll figure it all out.
Old October 10th, 2004, 05:03 AM

I have recently done this myself. I used 1 of these :-

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/pro...eo&source=menu

Once you have captured your mpegs onto hard drive ( in real time which is a pain - still you get to watch all those movies properly ) you can then play them back through winamp or something similar or burn them to dvd's :-

http://www.winamp.com/

have fun