MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Keyrite Software > Keyrite 1 Help

Keyrite 1 Help Post Keyrite 1 questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 28th, 2001, 12:06 PM

Angry wobble

I purchased KeyRite V1.108 and it still has the wobble or beat note previously discussed. I burned a CD with the processed file and it is indeed in the file, not just the KeyRite playback. The machine is an IBM Aptiva with a Celeron 600MHz processor / 128Meg memory. In an effort to troubleshoot, I moved KeyRite to an IBM Netvista P3-750 with 256Meg memory. In both cases the source file was from a Ripped CD. I tried ripping with MicroStudio and then Media JukeBox. The Ripper seemed to make no difference. On the faster machine the wobble was not as bad, but I believe still there. Is there any fix? Faster machine or more memory? I am afraid it is not usable on the intended machine - the slower.
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Try more RAM in your computer

We have not had wobble discussed or reported in a while so I am surprised you are hearing this.

The amount of RAM in your computer was affecting wobble during beta testing. It appears that 256MB works better. If you are running Windows 2000, it should use the RAM better than ME or 98. A faster processor speed also appears to help.

Questions:
1. How much RAM do you have?

2. What is your processor speed?

3. What Windows are you running?
Old July 28th, 2001, 12:51 PM

wobble

The procesor is a Celeron 600MHz with 128Meg Ram. The OS is Win98SE. Does the sound card have anything to do with it?
Old July 28th, 2001, 02:52 PM

wobble

Just another comment. I downloaded your test sample that was posted on another thread. I got very similiar result as the test sample - very little wobble when I processed the original with Keyrite. However, when I try to change a key of music with more reverb content than your sample, the wobble is pronounced. Is this just the nature of the beast?
Old July 28th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Reverb is probably the culprit

Because reverb adds echo copies of the original, the processing we do to shift the pitch can involve the copies. This could cause flanging, which can amplify some frequencies and attenuate others. Flanging can be very pronounced, depending on the amplitude of the copies. If the echo amplitude is very low, the flanging will be less noticeable.

I believe you have defined why some folks are having "wobble" and others aren't. Reverb is most often used on the vocal track, not the whole song. Thus, processing a song with vocals (main or background vocals) would tend to produce the flanging => wobbling.

Another possible cause is if there is a "Chorusing effect" added to the vocals. This will cause problems with many signal processing programs as the mutiple "images" created by adding Chorusing can interact and cause flanging.