MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Please reccomend Speaker/amp/mixer

I am getting ready to invest in speakers. I have hosted where they use the Peavey Pr12's. I have a Behringer mixer and have always just plugged straight into a clubs sound system. now I need to purchase speakers so I need a powered amp/mixer. Looking for something good, durable, light for me to haul and practicle economically if possible. Any good combo deals?
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Please reccomend Speaker/amp/mixer

I have a pair of Wharfedale Pro Titan 12 Active speakers for my shows. With these you do not need an amplifier and they only weigh 12.8 kg each.
Just plug your mixer in and your done.
You can view the Spec. here: http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Pr...1/Default.aspx
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trelynda View Post
I am getting ready to invest in speakers. I have hosted where they use the Peavey Pr12's. I have a Behringer mixer and have always just plugged straight into a clubs sound system. now I need to purchase speakers so I need a powered amp/mixer. Looking for something good, durable, light for me to haul and practicle economically if possible. Any good combo deals?

it depends on how big the venue is..but i've been using a Mackie SRM 350 active speakers.good for around 75-100 people..or get the big brother SRM 450..which i used for 100 -250 people..for small private parties i use a KRk 6 and for a medium crowd i use the KRK8 studio monitors with a KRK10" sub...
Old August 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Apparently your board is not powered, so i take it you already have a power amp correct? If that's the case, i wouldn't spend the extra for powered speakers, i'd use what i have and add passives. Let us know for sure. Also, there are a lot of good speaker cabs, both powered & passive that use "Neodymium" speakers, so you don't have to be limited to 12" because of weight. So you have many more options today then you did just a few years ago. I use 15" Carvin Cabs, loaded with Eminience 15" kappalites. They will blow anything in their class away, weight, less then 14 pounds each.
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:02 PM

oops...see all you have is a non powered mixer...sorry 'bout that. Not sure how big of a club you're doing. But i'd try these, light, great reviews, and great customer service. Which is so important.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...?product=LM12A

I current run 4 front of house speakers. 2 Carvin LM15 two ways, and 2 LM153 three ways. I traded out the standard neo's, and loaded mine with 15" kappalites. The stock speakers are also good in these. They are built by B&C a top shelf italian speaker manufacture. I just happen to prefer a cast fram transducer is all, like the kappalites. Good Luck. George
Old August 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM

Roy, glad to see someone else likes Wharfedale products. I am currently using their EVP series monitors. They do work dandy. These were on sale, i was kinda skeptical on buying them at first. But the guy says use, don't like'em return'em. So i gave them a shot. I'm inpressed. I like them better then my old Peavey monitors.

Last edited by Musicman51; March 1st, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old August 11th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
Roy, glad to see someone else likes Wharfedale products. I am currently using their EVP series monitors. They do work dandy. These were on sale, i was kinda skeptical on buying them at first. But the guy says use, don't like'em return'em. So i gave them a shot. I'm inpressed. I like them better then my old Peavey monitors.
I bought mine mainly because of the weight thing, getting too old to be lifting heavy equipment about.
Anyway this thread was started last April and I was the only one who responded then, never heard any more from Trelynda who started it so I suppose they got sorted by now.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM

OOP'S...i didn't notice that roy, sorry. But you are so right. Every cab i own, i have neodymium speakers in. Got rid of that big SKB rolling GigRig rack case to. It was like moving a refrigerator. 16 rack spaces on top, and 12 i think on the bottom. Almost gave that thing away...worthless going up a set of stairs... Please be careful over there in the UK, hope you're not in harms way. Your Bud, George
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
OOP'S...i didn't notice that roy, sorry. But you are so right. Every cab i own, i have neodymium speakers in. Got rid of that big SKB rolling GigRig rack case to. It was like moving a refrigerator. 16 rack spaces on top, and 12 i think on the bottom. Almost gave that thing away...worthless going up a set of stairs... Please be careful over there in the UK, hope you're not in harms way. Your Bud, George
I'm well away from the riots, I live in a small village in the Kent countryside.
While were on the subject of equipment I have mine housed in An ABS DJ rack 10U top 4U front, again keeps things light and tidy. I attach a picture of my set up, not the most expensive gear but suits my purposes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0042.jpg (488.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0039.jpg (360.9 KB, 22 views)
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
VIP

Quote:
George,
I bought one of those gig rig racks ( with two fold out wings ) and never used it because of the size and weight you are talking about... I left it in storage, and like you, I will probably end up giving it away to get rid of it... and I know with accessories it ran over a thousand bucks! I've only been holding onto it, in case I settle down and can play out of one location without being mobile every night!

I now use two softsided carrying cases for primary laptop, mixer, backup laptop, audio interface, assorted goodies. Then a plastic container for 25 books (heaviest is 25 lbs) and another for assorted wires and connectors.

For speakers I use the Bose PAS Classic with 2 bass subwoofers, and I can handle anything from a house party to a 250 person nightclub with a very small footprint, and not a lot of set-up, and tear-down time, and easy on the old man's back... lol

P.S.

Roy,
Like how clean and slimline your set-up is! I've got wires and cords running everywhere on my table!

Show Computer: Dell Precision M6700--Intel I7 3720 QM Quad 3rd Gen 2.6 ghz--16 gb Ram
Integrated Onboard Graphics, 2 gb DDR2 dedicated Video Memory--500 gb SSD & 1TB SATA HD--Windows 7 Pro--External HD WD 4 tb

Backup Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 7750G--PCI Express X16 Gen3 2.5 ghz--32 gb RAM--NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M, 2048 MB DDR3 --1 TB SSD--Windows 10 Education -- 64 bit

External Optical Drives: Plextor 760A & 712A
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Like you rick, i have cables running all over the place. I use a 6 space Gator colored rack, and a 2 space Gator colored rack for my power amp. I simply sit my allen & Health board ontop of the Gator case, and it's ready to go. Roy, your set up looks great, easy to find everything, and streamlined. George
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Roy I hear the getting to old to move this heavy equipment stuff. I'm going to shelve my PV115's (use them for big events) and get a pair of Behringer B122XL's (24lbs). I think my PMP 2000 is going on the shelve also in place for a PMP 1000 also. If your looking for a PMP 2000 (great unit) I have a second one I'm looking to sell...
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:23 PM

a pair of Mackie SRM350 powered speakers and a mackie profx8 is all you need, in my opinion,, that's what i use,,
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM

When it comes to new gear, i just love my Class D power amps, and Neodymium speakers. Thats the only way to fly IMHO. I am running a Class D 4 channel 2000 watt power amp, weighs 8 pounds. Nothing runs cooler, or quieter then the new class D stuff. I have a bass amp that is 1,500 watts RMS, with a tube circuit, that you could fit in your pocket. I have 2 15" carvin mains (run 4 on large jobs) each weigh barely 30 pounds. Subs the same thing. Thank god for neo's. And ummm....you don't have to be an old geezier like me not to want to lug around that heavy stuff. I did it for 45 years.... How many times can you bench press a full loaded Fender Twin Reverb guitar amp, with dual JBL D130's? the speakers weigh 30 pounds a piece...lol I can't left mine by myself...