MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old July 26th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Karaoke Suite 4

I purchased the Karaoke Suite 4 package sometime back, and I noticed that I can upgrade each item, but there is no upgrade for the Suite itself.

I have not used this product in a very long time so I don't know what changes have been made or even if I would understand those changes at this point. I know I'll have to retrain myself on using it. Microstudio 4.006, Vogone 3.30, Keywrite 2.0.1.2 and KHPRO 4.107

I have a few questions before upgrading.
1. Are the CD+g files you create legal to play at your shows?
2. Can I download the Karaoke songs on Amazon and successfully create CD+g songs from there (And will that be legal)
3. It is less expensive to purchase the Suite than do the upgrades (If there is no upgrade for the Suite available). And if I purchase the Suite will I need to remove all the products first to get a clean install, or will it upgrade anyway. Or will I be forced to do only upgrades.
4. Lastly when I tried to open KHPRO it said it could not find an mdw file, I know the file is on a hard drive that I changed the letter on. Will that continue to be a problem for me in the future, It's not a letter I'm willing to change back because of all the work that would be involved. I don't see any other way to open that software at this point. SUGGESTIONS!!!

I am also considering purchasing Songverter.

Thanks, Stu
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Karaoke Suite 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stublack View Post
I purchased the Karaoke Suite 4 package sometime back, and I noticed that I can upgrade each item, but there is no upgrade for the Suite itself.

I have not used this product in a very long time so I don't know what changes have been made or even if I would understand those changes at this point. I know I'll have to retrain myself on using it. Microstudio 4.006, Vogone 3.30, Keywrite 2.0.1.2 and KHPRO 4.107

2. Can I download the Karaoke songs on Amazon and successfully create CD+g songs from there (And will that be legal)
3. It is less expensive to purchase the Suite than do the upgrades (If there is no upgrade for the Suite available). And if I purchase the Suite will I need to remove all the products first to get a clean install, or will it upgrade anyway. Or will I be forced to do only upgrades.
4. Lastly when I tried to open KHPRO it said it could not find an mdw file, I know the file is on a hard drive that I changed the letter on. Will that continue to be a problem for me in the future, It's not a letter I'm willing to change back because of all the work that would be involved. I don't see any other way to open that software at this point. SUGGESTIONS!!!

I am also considering purchasing Songverter.

Thanks, Stu
When you buy the Suite you are getting the 4 programs at a discount because you are buying all at once. That is the only thing buying the Suite does for you. Beyond that it adds all 4 programs to your account individually. So when it comes time to purchase upgrades you have to buy each upgrade individually. The programs don't all get updated/upgraded at the same time, so you normally would not have to buy upgrades for the ones that don't have new versions out. Since it has been a while since you have upgraded I think all of them have been changed since that time so you will need to upgrade them all.
Now your questions:
1. As long as they are for your own use in your shows you should be ok.
2. I am not sure what you are referring to here. Are these Song files with vocals already removed? If so then I don't see why it would be any different for these. Keep your receipts for the sales.
3. Admin would really have to answer this one. However if you bought a whole new Suite, then yes you could upgrade over the old ones. Just be sure to change the registration code as you go through the installation so it will register with the new code.
4. I would ask this question in the KHPro Help section. I am not that familiar with it to answer this. Some of the experts in this should be able to help you. Of course if you upgrade it this should no longer be a problem.
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Are you saying to the answer to number one, if others at a show are requesting to sing these songs created by the suite that would be illegal?? Only I can sing these songs.
Old July 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are you saying to the answer to number one, if others at a show are requesting to sing these songs created by the suite that would be illegal?? Only I can sing these songs.
No that was not what I was saying. There has been no legal test of this and I am not a lawyer, but if you create it then you should be able to use it for your shows for you and your singers.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:31 PM

Thank you
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:

3. Stu, if you upgraded all of them it would be about a 50% discount instead of buying a new Suite 4. I don't see any reason not to upgrade the ones you want to use.

4. I don't know what an MDW file is. KHPro doesn't use this format. It creates a .KHP Project file for each song you create, which allows you to go back and change that song in any way. MDW...
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Stu, the fine folks at mtu, and the forum members here are not lawyers. There are many opinons as to the answer to these questions. I doubt very much if anyone really knows. MTU has spent $1,000's on legal advice to help us all the best they can. My very humble advice, would be to read the fine print. If in doubt, don't use it. May i suggest you concentrate more on getting your show up and running, and presenting as fine a show as you can. Using Hoster, Microstudio, and khPro software is the first positive step. When it comes to the tech stuff, the fella's here can help you. But the legal stuff, lets leave to matlock. Best of luck with hoster and your karaoke show future.
Old August 9th, 2011, 04:23 PM

I've been using Hoster for roughly 6 years now. I love it.

I realize that those who work for MTU are not lawyers. But it is possible to know answers to legal questions without being a lawyer. For instance I know it is illegal to play pirated music at my shows (WOW how can I know that).

I was simply hoping that someone might know the answer to my question. I really would like to make songs that I can't find on Karaoke through the Suite and play them at my shows, but only if it's legal. If and when I find that it's legal I will be upgrading the Suite.

Thanks, keep up the good work
Old August 9th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've been using Hoster for roughly 6 years now. I love it.

I realize that those who work for MTU are not lawyers. But it is possible to know answers to legal questions without being a lawyer. For instance I know it is illegal to play pirated music at my shows (WOW how can I know that).

I was simply hoping that someone might know the answer to my question. I really would like to make songs that I can't find on Karaoke through the Suite and play them at my shows, but only if it's legal. If and when I find that it's legal I will be upgrading the Suite.

Thanks, keep up the good work
No one knows the answer to your question because it has never been tested in a court. If MTU or your fellow users gave you a legal opinion without basis in law, then you find out that it is illegal, what can you do at that point?
Many people use KHPro to create their own karaoke songs, correct badly synchronized songs, or correct wording. None have ever been taken to court over it. In my own opinion it is legal, but that is all it is, my opinion.
It is ultimately your decision as to whether you upgrade your whole Suite or just part of it such as Songverter and Keyrite.
Old August 10th, 2011, 04:53 AM

Thank you for your honesty.

Stu
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:

It is cheaper to upgrade just KHPro, which is $24.99. Not to sound commercial, but I suggest you get it now. That's all I'll say about that.

Quote:
If the MUSIC you have has been bought (royalties paid), then adding lyrics to it - to my knowledge - is legal. Use Google and enter the first lyric line and you will find hundreds of sites publishing the lyrics.

Quote:
If Amazon's songs are MP3 or WMA without DRM protection, they should play in Hoster and KHPro. Buy and download ONE song and try it... before you spend LOTs of money. As to legal, see above answer.

Have you tried Vogone 3.31 to remove the vocals from audio files you may already have? We have a demo of 13 songs (compared to the LTSound VE3 $2700 box). You'll be surprised how good we can remove the vocals.

NOTE: Vogone has evolved a LOT, so if you are back many versions, I'd upgrade that too. You can try the demo first if you want.
Quote:
See above, buy the KHPro upgrade, and/or all the upgrades. That'll be about 50% of the new Suite price.
Quote:
4. Lastly when I tried to open KHPRO it said it could not find an mdw file, I know the file is on a hard drive that I changed the letter on. Will that continue to be a problem for me in the future, It's not a letter I'm willing to change back because of all the work that would be involved. I don't see any other way to open that software at this point.
KHPro uses no file with the extension .mdw that I am aware of. You will need to post the entire message. I suspect you may have misread, but then maybe I'm wrong.
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Thank you I will upgrading in the next few weeks