MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old August 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Microstudio 4.21 and Mcafee

I thought i would download the latest version of Microstudio on my XP studio computer and test drive it. Everytime i open it or close it, it wants to make a registry change, and my McAfee sends a pop up which ask me if i want to allow the change or block it..what's with that? i was allowing for the change a few times, now i click BLOCK it still runs the same??? If i do like the latest version is there anything wrong with permanetly blocking the request for a registry change????
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator

We modify the Registry Keys to store your personal preferences such as:

* What default Karaoke folder you select
* What default Audio folder you select
* What default folder you select to import tracks into
* What default folder you select to record into

If you block Microstudio changing Registry Keys, you are reducing your own efficient use of the software.

There is no reason to deny. We are storing in our own created Registy Keys that are NOT used by any other programs.
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

George I have Spybot on my computer that has the same thing and many programs that I install will trigger this because they need to modify the registry to work. I always allow this to take place. Now if this triggers when I have not been installing then I look thoroughly into it to make sure it is not some kind of spyware or virus.
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:35 PM

Now if this triggers when I have not been installing then I look thoroughly into it to make sure it is not some kind of spyware or virus.

It's only on my studio pc, and i do not go online with it accept dirrectly to the mtu download link. Every time i go to use this new version of Microstudio either at the very beginning, or the very end of using it, my pop up rings that hoster wants to change my registry settings. I actually don't need it to keep track of where i put things. There are only a couple of places i put them anyway. I see absolutly no difference in the performace of Microstudio when i block these changes. Just a pain is all..my older version didn't do this, and it works just fine. Back to the older version i guess.

Last edited by Musicman51; August 16th, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:46 PM

I just opened and closed this latest version of microstudio 4 or 5 times in a row without even doing anything with it....and McAfee don't like it. I get the pop up from McAfee only when closing Microstudio, not when opening it...
Incidently i also have Spybot on my studio PC, and it never rings it. I haven't downloaded a program on my studio PC except from mtu in about 2 years.

Last edited by Musicman51; August 16th, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
Now if this triggers when I have not been installing then I look thoroughly into it to make sure it is not some kind of spyware or virus.

It's only on my studio pc, and i do not go online with it accept dirrectly to the mtu download link. Every time i go to use this new version of Microstudio either at the very beginning, or the very end of using it, my pop up rings that hoster wants to change my registry settings. I actually don't need it to keep track of where i put things. There are only a couple of places i put them anyway. I see absolutly no difference in the performace of Microstudio when i block these changes. Just a pain is all..my older version didn't do this, and it works just fine. Back to the older version i guess.
Your older version only set things in the registry once. It also only used one folder for the song file you imported. In other words this new version has a much broader capability and those settings have to be saved to the registry. The reason you probably don't see any difference in performance is most likely because you have not changed any of the default settings.
The pop-up you see from McAfee should have a check box or something to indicate for it to Always Allow these changes. Then you should not see this pop-up for Microstudio again after that.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Went back the older version, the much broader capabilities i don't need anyway, but thanks.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

George,please don't take this wrong, but as constructive criticism from one who has had lots of experience with computers and viruses. One of these days you really need to get past your paranoia about viruses and computers. If you are careful of where you go on the internet and go only to known good company sites like MTU, Microsoft, etc. who make sure there is nothing on their sites or in their programs that will harm your computer, install only programs and updates from those sites then you are not going to run into any problems. You have McAfee on the computer which will protect you as best it can, so trust it to keep you out of trouble.
You make me wonder if you are doing any of the Microsoft updates or even the McAfee updates. If not then you are really taking a bigger chance of problems than you would from these sites.
Just an FYI for me. When you installed the older version of Microstudio di you have McAfee on your computer (current version with the registry protection) when you installed that version of Microstudio?
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM

Dale, let me answer your questions as simply as i can. I have stated this in other post to you. I DO NOT SURF ONLINE WITH MY SHOW MACHINE OR MY STUDIO MACHINE. Only my home Dell PC. I pay to have 3 Mcafee's licensed. I use two. I did use all 3, but my show laptop hated McAfee. I have one on my studio computer, up to date, and scanned for virus's 3 times a month, and all XP updates are done. I do, occasionally update a recording software, so i do keep McAfee active there. Now, the second license is on my home personal computer, a Dell. It has no karaoke, or recording software on it. That is the one i am on right now. All of my computers, including my old XP in my studio are updated, regularly. Hoster, is running by itself, on a laptop, that is the only machine it is on, and it has no other microstudio programs, or music programs on that laptop. I just do not like things going into my registry, thats all. I tried to download my old version of Microstudio for fun, without allowing the registry change..hey..it still works, just like it did before. I did a registry wash from the old empty entries i allowed from the latest version of microstudio. Most were empty entries. Downloaded my older more stable version of Microstudio..everythings peaschy keen. Thanks for your concern. But i assure you, my computers ARE updated with the latest McAfee, and Spybot S&D software updates, as well as microsoft operating system updates. Oh and i only go to a mtu download link, or a recording download update link with my studio computer. No fear of virus, i have never had one that i know of, you're right, thats what McAfee is for. Sorry i gave you the impression i was paranoid..perhaps i did take it wrong..
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for easing my mind. And I agree I do not surf the internet with my show machine either, but I do connect to MTU (have to for installs) and Microsoft to keep the updates current.
As to the registry, changes have to be made to the registry with most programs you install, especially when you upgrade versions. The registry is a file that contains information used by those programs and by Windows to make them work together nicely. If you don't allow the changes then in most cases your programs will not work. Look at the registry as a filing system index (like the libraries card files) that tells the computer where to find information needed for it to function. Just like in a library sometimes that information changes and has to be corrected in the index. This is not a bad thing and is not going to hurt your computer. With McAfee or Spybot (has this function too) letting you know about the changes this is great but they also allow you to make the final decision. I doubt I will sway you on Microstudio, but you need to be aware that Hoster does the same thing. If you change something in Hoster it is added or changed in the registry, but since you don't have McAfee on your show machine you don't see this.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM

I stand by what i said, i most generally when it comes to mtu, do not allow registry changes, i try not to with any program. However if it will not operate unless i do, i make an exception. Not trying to tell you your business, but your theory is not true with all programs. Also, i have had programmers follow actions and decide marketing through not only cookies, which i also do not allow, but registry changes as well. You are simply being naive if you don't think so. The good folks on the Dell Computer Forum have a slightly different point of view on tracking cookies and registry changes then you do i'm afraid dale. And i tend to agree with them for the most part. Like i said, not trying to tell you your business. Now how did the whitehouse get my email address about health care reform again...lol
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM

"If you change something in Hoster it is added or changed in the registry, but since you don't have McAfee on your show machine you don't see this."

ummm.... as i just mentioned, at one time i did indeed have McAfee on my laptop show computer. And as i recall, whenever i closed out hoster, it did not cause a McAfee pop up.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

George I will only say this. The Dell forum is for users of Dell computers and yes some may work in the computers just as here. I am basing my information on 20 years experience working on Air Force networks of more than 5,000 computers.
Yes Viruses can also make registry changes, but as long as the computer is not on-line or you have a good anti-virus program to protect you this can't happen.. But honest programs also use this. I did not say all programs use this I said most. Those who use integrated parts of Windows do.
Change or add an Instabutton and Hoster stores the information in it's section of the registry. Make a change to Windows Media Player settings and it is stored in the registry.
You do what you think you have to.