MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Closed Thread

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:57 PM

Copies

If it is legal to make one back-up copy of your cdg's... why do you have to keep the originals....dont you have the right to sell or give away your originals and still keep your copies? Why would you have to "prove" you bought the originals or have them at home? I thought we were considered "Innocent" till proven guilty.Isn't it incumbent upon the prosecution to "prove" that you have "illegal" copies instead of "legal"copies?
Old September 29th, 2003, 10:07 PM

If you'll search through the CD RECORDERS AND MEDIA forum you'll see a wealth of info on this subject including links to websites citing the copywrite laws. Amongst other things ,you'll discover that leaving the originals home and using the backups is illegal. You should be using the originals and leaving the back-ups in the closet.

Beside that, if you disposed of the originals, do you really expect to be taken at your word that you ever owned them ? Dream on.

Why would you only want one copy on hand anyway? They do get damaged, then what?

You say it's incumbent on the prosecution to prove guilt. If it were that simple then how did the need for defense attorneys get so popular?

Take care,

George
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:33 AM

Re: Copies

Quote:
Originally posted by slydways
I thought we were considered "Innocent" till proven guilty.Isn't it incumbent upon the prosecution to "prove" that you have "illegal" copies instead of "legal"copies? [/b]
How can you prove that the copies in your possession are NOT illegal copies unless you have the originals to show for it? To me it defies common logic for you to ask these questions.

Steve
Old September 30th, 2003, 01:01 AM

I don't have to "prove" anything....under the law I am presumed "innocent" ...it is the prosecution that has to prove that I am guilty of something.

By the way can anyone cite me a case where a KJ was found guilty of using illegal copies?
Old September 30th, 2003, 01:03 AM

Talking Watch for Santa Coming Your Way!

Quote:
Originally posted by Slydways
Don’t you have the right to sell or give away your originals and still keep your copies?

Wouldn’t that be great? Who’d need to work?

If that were the case, a few of us would have some of Bill Gates billions by now, selling software at “greatly reduced” prices. Windows? MSOffice, Oracle, AutoCad, Hoster…well, I’m sure you get the picture.

Wishing and dreaming…

Jon
Old September 30th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slydways
[b]I don't have to "prove" anything....under the law I am presumed "innocent" ...it is the prosecution that has to prove that I am guilty of something.
You are presumed "innocent" until proven guilty in this country. However, if you have stolen property and are caught with it in your possession you will be prosecuted. You best proof of ownership is (1) the orgininal CDG's matching one for one, (2) sales receipts for the CDG's showing the amount paid and from whom you purchased them from.

slydways, do you have a karaoke business for the purpose of doing karaoke shows for money? You have to report your income to the IRS don't you? You also need to take advantage of your right to write off all your business expenses on you tax return. Do you file tax returns? All this is none of my business and you need not answer these questions. Just ask yourself these questions because I get the feeling you are a young person without any business experience.

Steve
Old September 30th, 2003, 08:33 AM

SLYDWAYS,
You are assuming the posture of a prosecutor in this exchange, so how about we assume your original stance.

We do not have to prove anything. You prove we are wrong.

George

Last edited by George; September 30th, 2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Administrator

This says it all...l.

Steve has made it totally clear. You keep your originals to prove you own them. As he stated later, it is ALSO wise to keep your receipts to prove you purchased these originals, instead of stole them. If you don't have proof and you are questioned, you can't prove you purchased them.

I'm closing this thread.

Admin out

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
How can you prove that the copies in your possession are NOT illegal copies unless you have the originals to show for it? To me it defies common logic for you to ask these questions.

Steve