MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old May 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Recording Singers

I was thinking about what would it take to record singers on a cd while performing at a gig. I have a passive mixer and a power amp. The mics are all plugged into the mixer. The music comes out of the 3.5mm socket through a 3.5mm plug that splits to two 1/4" jacks with two 1/4"-1/4" cables that plug into the mixer. The way I see it, Microstudio plays in the computer which as far as signal is primary. The signal goes to the mixer (secondary), and then to the amp. I would need to somehow connect the mics to the computer so mic and music would be both in the primary (computer) so that Microstudio, which is also in the computer (primary) would be able to record it. Does anyone have any ideas how I could accomplish this while performing at a gig with the amplified music and mic?

JRMerc
Memories & More
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:28 AM

Re: Recording Singers

I use a Boss Micro BR Digital Recorder (made by Roland) that records on a SD chip. It cost me around $249 new.

I've been using it for a couple of years and it works well. For the very reasonable price, it has a lot of features.

It hooks to the "record out" of my Yamaha EMX512 mixer/amp...

Then I use Microstudio to burn the songs to CD...

Hope this helps ...
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilioM View Post
I was thinking about what would it take to record singers on a cd while performing at a gig. I have a passive mixer and a power amp. The mics are all plugged into the mixer. The music comes out of the 3.5mm socket through a 3.5mm plug that splits to two 1/4" jacks with two 1/4"-1/4" cables that plug into the mixer. The way I see it, Microstudio plays in the computer which as far as signal is primary. The signal goes to the mixer (secondary), and then to the amp. I would need to somehow connect the mics to the computer so mic and music would be both in the primary (computer) so that Microstudio, which is also in the computer (primary) would be able to record it. Does anyone have any ideas how I could accomplish this while performing at a gig with the amplified music and mic?
JRMerc, we did extensive research and coding to allow you to "align" the microphone inpu with the music so there is no perceived delay. This allows for overdubbing multiple takes, either of music instruments or multiple vocal parts.

To use this capability, you want to record in Microstudio, with the Mic input directly to Microstudio where we are mixing, and not through your Mix console. You can use a Mic preamp in the mixer and feed it to Microstudio.

The resulting recorded file, assuming you took the time to align the Mic to the music, will have the vocals in sync in the saved .wav file.

All you need to do is burn the CD for them.

DISCLAIMER: BE CAREFUL! If you are recording them singing YOUR song that they did not bring in or pay for, it is technically illegal for you to give or sell them a copy.
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:40 AM

Didn't we all determine a while back that it was illegal to import singers songs to your hard drive, and that's why if they use their disc to sing to, Hoster automatically deletes the track when the song is finished?

If so, why would the rules be any different for Microstudio?

Erectile dysfunction treatment

Last edited by George; May 18th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Admin, thanx for the input. I totally didn't think about the legality of using my songs verses their song. I just wanted to give my customers another capability that isn't available anywhere else. I want to thank everyone for their input, and by the way, 5.01 rocks!!! I've just recently turned on 2 people to MTU and they both purchased the suite + Hoster. One of them never hosted before and the other had Siglos. They're both very impressed with alll the programs and are very happy with them. The only thing is, is there is a learning curve and since I turned them on, I am now their trainer. Things we take for granted and we do second nature, can sometimes be perplexing to them. Just yesterday, I spent many hours coaching both of them. I've told them, read the manual and one of them just doesn't read too well, and the other I guess would just rather have the led by hand approach. We'll get them totally trained, and they will be happy members of the MTU family. Again thanx for all the answers, and MTU, thanx for the SWEET programs.

JRMerc
Memories & More
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Didn't we all determine a while back that it was illegal to import singers songs to your hard drive, and that's why if they use their disc to sing to, Hoster automatically deletes the track when the song is finished?

If so, why would the rules be any different for Microstudio?
Good point George.

However, it is not illegal to import someone else's disc songs and play it for them, recording them singing against the music and make a new CD for them.

It is illegal to KEEP those songs on your hard drive and use them for yourself or other singers without buying the same disc yourself.