MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 29th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Older Plextor Writer

Dale {or anyone who might know} back on March 7, 2002, order #8971, i purchased a plextor 24X speed writer from mtu. It was the white faced one. My puter went out shortly after i purchased this writer, so for all practicle purposes it's still new. Anyways i put the puter up over the garage and forgot about it. Recently during spring cleaning i ran across this old puter with the new plextor internal in it. Without taking it apart. Were those old writers IDE or SATA? will they still work with any of the last few microstudio versions? Is it worth keeping or just toss it? Incidently, it says i paid $199 for that internal back then, today mtu has certified internals for 80 bucks...sign of the times i guess.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Older Plextor Writer

My guess is no it won't work with the newer versions of Hoster or Microstudio. The reason is that they changed the way those programs talk to the drives that is a more universal method. Those drives used Atapi drivers which had to be added individually for each drive, so they quit doing those.
That said doesn't mean you can't use it for other programs, but don't know for sure. Being that old they would be IDE types as SATA was not in wide use at that time if at all.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info dale. The reason i asked, is because the old compaq in my studio{which has all my mtu programs on it except hoster} is IDE. I recently purchased a plextor writer from tiger direct for $49. It's nothing more then a repackaged "Liteon". And.......it's junk. The drawer freezes open the thing freezes, just cheap junk. I know..i know...break down and buy a new puter. I was thinking of thinking of putting the old plextor in the compaq and givein' her a try.
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Can't hurt to try.
I don't know that I would replace the computer just to get a good drive unless you really want to for more reasons than just that.
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Well dale, it's got more hours on it then grandpa moses. It still works about all i can say. The sales receipt says july 2004 on it. For a computer thats old. But IDE drives are almost imposible to find as you well know. Anyway..i'll try the drive and let you know if it works. Sure be glad when mtu gets the 64 bit thing working for all the mtu products. Takes time i know.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:24 PM

Well dale, the old plextor wouldn't work with my compaq. So i put the cheap made in china piece of junk liteon back in and everything is back to normal. I think part of the problem actually are the drivers. I don't have the right drivers. It would work with WMP both play, and rip. I bet if i spent a little time amessin' with it i'd get it ta work. But i'm not gonna fool with it. I did a side by side comparison with that old plextor and the piece of junk i bought from tiger direct for 40 bucks. You can sure tell those old plextors had quality to'em. Thanks for the hep anywaya
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
Well dale, the old plextor wouldn't work with my compaq. So i put the cheap made in china piece of junk liteon back in and everything is back to normal. I think part of the problem actually are the drivers. I don't have the right drivers. It would work with WMP both play, and rip. I bet if i spent a little time amessin' with it i'd get it ta work. But i'm not gonna fool with it. I did a side by side comparison with that old plextor and the piece of junk i bought from tiger direct for 40 bucks. You can sure tell those old plextors had quality to'em. Thanks for the hep anywaya
Yeah, we can only offer what's being made at any time, and the older Plex drives were the highest quality ever... bar none!

That's why we buy and TEST every drive. We reject those that won't do CDG. Quality mechanicals... that's a thing of the past. As you indicated, you paid $199 for one of our tested Plex drives. Prices are under half today, but our labor costs are up.

BTW: We sold a 1x write CDR from Denon in 1996 for $16,000. A similar Yamaha back then was $25,000!