MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Closed Thread

Old December 31st, 2008, 02:05 AM

To: Marklwood 12-30-08 01:00 AM

Well this is my last Idea. I tried to burn a copy of a karaoke disk in microstudio.
I performed the same as originating a new disk. CPU meter ran to 100% while preparing files but nothing on the CPU meter during the copying to another disk. I have the image in a file but it said "burner was not available"
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:56 AM
Honor Roll

Vince, did you follow up on post #37 in this thread. Any, and all of the burner programs may have changed the registry value for your upper and lower filters. They may also have just been corrupted at some point also. I did find a better Microsoft page on making these changes. You can even use their Guided Help program that will help take some of the anxiety out of making changes to your registry. The link is here:

You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

Also, an explanation by someone smarter than me.

http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/ti...61565,00.html#

This will probably require a re-install of Microstudio to reset the filters back to the way they should be. Now that you have removed The VOBID, I feel like this should fix you up.

Don't give up on us just yet. I have now made this my personal mission. I love these kind of problems. This is what gets me out of bed in the afternoon
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:48 PM

To: Marklwood 12-31-08 05:30PM

I don't have any good news for you. I uninstalled 16 programs that either read or burn disks, including Microstudio. I couldn't get the link you sent me to work. I had no problem downloading it, but when I tried to run it, it stated "We cannot run this program at this time, try again later". I went ahead and used the manual method to remove the offending Upper and Lower filters.
I removed them, saved the new registry under a new name so as not to confuse it with older one. Rebooted the computer, checked to see if both of my burners were visable and they were. My heart jumped because I remembered what you said that it they were back in the divice manager we were sure to have solved the problem. I reinstalled only the microstudio program and tried it. It tested fine and so I ask it to burn the disk. the burner ran for some 22 seconds, errored out stating "Write disk aborted". It didn't say "write disk aborted by user" as it usually did. I uninstalled Microstudio again, went back to the registry editor and sure enough, the lower filters were back. The upper filters were gone. To make this shorter I repeated the entire process again and the same thing happened again. I then unistalled Microstudio again, checked the registry again and the lower filters were back again but not the upper filters. I again uninstalled Microstudio and rebooted. This time I went back and remove the lower filters again, saved the registry and rebooted. I went into the registry for the last time and,......You guessed it, the Lower filters were back again. By the way, when I rebooted this time I had a message that the Multimedia controler was not working. Never had seen that since I purchased the computer. I tried to reinstal it but the system refused to accept the software. At this time my wife said you better close that thing or you're going to have a heart attack!!
PS: I did read the other article you provided me with and the gentleman does have some smarts.
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Honor Roll

Vince, just a quick note. I need to start my New Year's Eve show. I actually think you have good news. I feel we are getting closer. I will check back with you, but it probably won't be until late tomorrow. In the mean time, take your blood pressure medicine and put your feet up. As a person who has had 4 heart attacks already, I would agree with your wife.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Honor Roll

Vince, in researching, I found something else interesting. If Windows encounters too many errors, it may turn off the DMA channel. Check the BIOS for the drive and make sure that DMA is on.

Can someone who has this same drive and Microstudio installed please post you upper and lower filter values? It sure would help this process along.

Sorry, I will be busy the rest of the day. Don't think I have forgotten about you, Vince. As I told you before, this is now my personal mission.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM

To: Marklwood 01/02/09

Thanks for the info. I have no individual in my direct circle of friends that has one of the WindowsXP program and a MTU burner. I am located 30 miles outside of Austin, TX so I don't know many people who are into producing Karaoke Disks. I hope someone who reads this post and would know how to check their registry to find their upper and lower filter values, would post me or you back so that we'd be able to see where they should be. Ever since I delete the upper and lower filters, only the lower value shows up on my registry but, the upper filter has never shown up again.
If any admistrators or anyone into MTU upper echelon reads this post I would ask that they get involved with this problem. I would imagine that there are many forum members would be helped with the solution to this problem!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Cravotta View Post
Ever since I delete the upper and lower filters, only the lower value shows up on my registry but, the upper filter has never shown up again.
I am waiting for an answer to some inquiries I have made on your behalf. In doing some more research, this problem has been fixed with a clean install of Windows. While I would like to suggest that, I have 2 problems with that solution. The first is, even though it would fix the problem, what is going to keep it from happening again, and what we we have learned from all this. The second is, I don't like admitting defeat!!

Quote:
If any admistrators or anyone into MTU upper echelon reads this post I would ask that they get involved with this problem. I would imagine that there are many forum members would be helped with the solution to this problem!
I have also made that same request. If I can't figure it out, at least I want to know what I missed. I think the only piece of the puzzle is the upper filter values. Microstudio seems to be resetting the lower values.

The only thing else I could suggest is to un-install Microstudio, reboot, pull the drive, reboot, re-install the drive, reboot, then re-install Microstudio.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
Frequent Member

I have had this problem in the past. a long time ago.
the only thing i could do was run a registry cleaner, and that fixed the problem.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
seagate 320 Gig SATA Hard Drive
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
NEC 6650a Internal DVD/RW Slimeline
Jaton Nvidia 8400GS-Ex 512 Megs Ram On Board
All windows Updates
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:59 PM

To: Marklwood 01/03/09

This has been a tough start for 2009. I hired a tech to come in and help with this problem. After an hour or two of using my older WindowsXP, we both gave up and we went out and rented a new computer running standard windows software but no other software. We put the MTU burner into it and started with checking for the upper and lower filters. We found and removed both. On rechecking the filters after a re boot we found that there were no filters listed not even the .bak filters for either one. We had a lot of trouble trying to load a second version of MTU 4006a after an hour of that I downloaded a trial copy from MTU and we were able to use it with the new computer. We assembled a four song setup. got it into MTU using the MTU burner and actually burned a disk without going through the test cycle. All four songs played on my Kareoke machine. My tech mentioned, " Well, that wasn't too hard to do".
We reassembled the burner in my regular WindowsXP that we'd been having the trouble with, checked the filters and there were none listed. We tried burning the same four songs from the rented computer and it burned without using the test function. Now we really were happy.
We check the Regedit again and no upper or lower filters showing. This time we assemble a 16 song disk that I have been trying to write from the begining of this problem. We set it to burn and everything seemed to be going pretty good. In about six minuets it annouced that the burn was successful. We ran out to my Karaoke room and slipped it into the machine and hit #1 song. It came up and played great. Alas, that was the only song on the disk that played. We were lost. The back of the disk showed that there was more than one song recorded.
We then tried to make a copy of that disk. When the tracks came up, only the first track had anything in it the other fifteen tracks were there but empty. We tried one more time with the same effect. (We rebooted and checked the regedit again and nothing had changed. I couldn't afford the tech any more, so he left.
Can't fiqure why it would write 4 songs and they all played and then only burned one out of the sixteen.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Frequent Member

Vince, have you tried using another program to burn with to see if it works.
try goldenhawk.com and see if it burns with that.
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
All windows Updates
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Honor Roll

I know I must be missing something. There is something installed that is messing around with the process. I just know in my heart of hearts that some service, TSR, or registry entry is causing this. I just can't for the life of me pin it down. I am still waiting on a reply from someone I learned a great deal from when I was first getting interested in computer hardware. I am sure the answer will be forthcoming, I just am not very patient at waiting.
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM

To: bobcox -01-04-09

Yes, I have tried CDRWin. I started out many years ago with 2 Plextor burners and Goldenhawk. Every thing when sour when both burners went down within two months of each other. They were seven years old. Since I purchased the MTU burner I have not been able to burn with CDRWin. I appreciate your concern.
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM

To:Marklwood 01/04/09

I will be waiting here with bated breath, trying other suggestions from forum readers. God bless them all.
Can you explain to me how I can install a second copy of MTU on my 2nd computer. I understand from reading all the posts that it is allowed?
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I will be waiting here with bated breath, trying other suggestions from forum readers. God bless them all.
Can you explain to me how I can install a second copy of MTU on my 2nd computer. I understand from reading all the posts that it is allowed?
Is it telling you it is already installed on 2 computers? I thought you had already installed it on the other computer to try it & the burner there. If you want it on a different computer, then uninstall it from one of the two (while online) and install it on the new one.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Frequent Member

Quote:
Yes, I have tried CDRWin. I started out many years ago with 2 Plextor burners and Goldenhawk. Every thing when sour when both burners went down within two months of each other. They were seven years old. Since I purchased the MTU burner I have not been able to burn with CDRWin. I appreciate your concern.
It sounds like it mite be a bad drive, do you have any others you can try. Bob
Test Machine #1
Windows XP-PRO SP3
Dell 4700c P4 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs pc2-ddr 4200 Ram
107 Gigs free
Internal Sound Card
All windows Updates
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Bob,
He has used it with other programs and it worked fine. Plus he tried it on a totally new computer with Microstudio Demo and that worked too. It is not a bad drive.
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM

To: Dale Douglass 01/04/09

I guess you haven't had time to read all the posts since that happened. I removed the program from my old XP right after that sequence and rented a new XP. In the meantime, because of the rented computer, I coudn't get my home network working so I couldn't install the MTU program on the rented computer. I download a trial version in the new one. The MTU burner started working and recorded 16 songs. When I put it in the Karaoke machine, only one song out of the 16 played. In looking at the recorded side of the new disk, I could see that more than half of the disk had been recorded on but they were empty tracks. I thought abut coping the disk and remembered in the preview program you can't copy anything. So I still want to know how to put the full version of MTU in the new machine. Can I make a disk copy and install it in the new rental. (Of course I will uninstall it after the test).
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM

To: Bryan Cox 01/04/09

It's been a while since we talked on the phone in the good ole days. Bryan If you have any time, would you please take a look at some of my posts between d.douglas and marklwood. This situation is getting very bad. I honestly have tried every suggestion the boys have given me in posts to the forum. They are great guys but, i still feel that only sending my unit back to MTU and having them try it in one of their machines that we'll be sure that it's my computer fouling up the system. At this time I have uninstalled some 17 editing and disk recording programs leaving only the MTU burner and Microstudio running. I even removed my Trend Micro security software and just turn off the computers when I finish trying to get this burner to work. I have been out of business since my plextor when down some five months ago. I would appreciate anything you can suggest.
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM

To: bobcox -01-04-09

Bob,
I notice that D.Douglas mentioned that I used it on another computer and it worked fine. Just to be sure that you understand the burn. I tried to burn 16 songs. The burner worked fine, it stated that the burn was successful. What he didn't mention was that of the 16 songs I tried to burn only one of the 16 actually burned the other fifteen were empty tracks. I know they had .bin files to burn because I played them before I went to the Write Function. They had no names or artist or time of the song.
I don't consider that a successful burn!
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I guess you haven't had time to read all the posts since that happened. I removed the program from my old XP right after that sequence and rented a new XP. In the meantime, because of the rented computer, I coudn't get my home network working so I couldn't install the MTU program on the rented computer. I download a trial version in the new one. The MTU burner started working and recorded 16 songs. When I put it in the Karaoke machine, only one song out of the 16 played. In looking at the recorded side of the new disk, I could see that more than half of the disk had been recorded on but they were empty tracks. I thought abut coping the disk and remembered in the preview program you can't copy anything. So I still want to know how to put the full version of MTU in the new machine. Can I make a disk copy and install it in the new rental. (Of course I will uninstall it after the test).
Vince, I have been keeping up with this very closely so I do know what has been going on and hoping something would click in on this.
Anyway , none of this is any indication that the drive has failed. You had previously burned a disk with Roxio and it worked. You also burned one with the rental through MS Demo and that worked. That is all I was trying to get across to Bobcox. However this still tells me it is not the drive and sending it back to MTU would not solve this.
If it was me, by this time I would have "Scrapped the Caddy" and re-installed Windows and all my programs. That is a desparate and lengthy fix, but sometimes it is the only way to fix some things. I am not suggesting you do that yet, but it may end up as the only option left. You have already proved that on a new load (the rental) of Windows it does work.
I am going to call MTU tomorrow morning and see if we can get Bryan the MTU Support Manager to look at this thread and see if he has anything new to try.
We will solve this Vince, even if I have to drive over there and find it!!!
Closed Thread