MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 31st, 2004, 09:07 PM

cannot burn cd with new plextor and Microstudio

I have just bought the Px-708A burner and have upgraded the driver to 1.06. I also have bought the Microstudio 2.517. When I try to burn cd (no matter who makes the cd) nothing happens. I have tried to burn cd within programs like Musicmatch and it works. It seems to be a problem with microstudio. Please help. I have spent alot of money here and cannot get it to burn cdgs.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM

Chris,
When you try to copy a CD does it give you an Error Message? The Information that you are giving me, does not tell me anything.

If you do get an error message when using Microstudio, it will only be with this drive on the Burning Process, if you have NERO 6 or EZ CD Creator 6 Installed. To fix this problem, you must remove the Nero 6 or EZ CD 6.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM

From reading the posts I decided to uninstall nero cd burning and creator 6. It did not help.

I do not get an error message. Like I said nothing happens. The green light does not blink, no message comes up on the monitor, nothing happens

I need to remind you that it is in the burning process that I am having problems. It copies cds fine.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:02 PM

AM I correct in assuming that the driver 1.06 you are referring to is firmware in the drive it's self. If so it is a recent change. I last upgraded to 1.04 (from 1.0) a month ago. The aspi may have to be changed.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:03 PM

Just two days ago I upgraded to the 1.06-it was a new release. and I have the lastest version of the aspi
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:31 PM

Chris,
So you are stating that when you click on Microstudio, the program opens.

You then click on the Duplicate Disc Tab. You see the Plextor 7.08 drive in the Reading and Writing List boxes?

If you don't have the drive selected in these Drop down list boxes, then the program doesn't know what you want it to use. These both must show your Plextor drive, or the program will do nothing.

Please let me know if this is the case.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:41 PM

yes the drive is selected within the box.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

When you click the Duplicate Button, what happens?

Does it begin Reading the Disc to the Hard drive?

The Select Folder Button, what is this set to? Make sure that it is not set to your CD-R or CD-Rom drives. It must be set to the Hard drive and the Hard drive only.

If the file is being read into the Hard drive, does it finish and tell you to place a blank CD in the drive to write to? If so do you click OK? Then if this is all working, does it begin to write the Pregap?

I need to know how far it is getting exactly and what it does when you state it is not working.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Administrator

What we need to help you

Please read this FAQ Answer on what to post here for us and other users to help you.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:47 AM

On duplication, the following happens:
Copies to hard drive
Pregap finishes
copies the tracks
then: cannot finish because

'Finish DAO RECORDING'
Command failed on device
1:0:0 unit attention
(04h 00h 02h 06h 29h 00h)
Old April 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM

I have had that same message upon rare instances(usually using a cdrw), but the cd had been written and was usable in my Karaoke player.

Have you tried to play one irregardless of that message?

Also, the Plextor PX-708A comes with built in diagnostics. I wonder if this issue may be covered in there?

George

Last edited by George; April 3rd, 2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Chris, thank you for the details.

From our Error Messages thread, it looks like your drive may be failing:

-----------------
NOTE:The device 0:0:0 below may be different, depending on how the drive is attached to the computer.

1) ERROR: Finish DAO Recording, Command Failed on Device 0:0:0. Unit Attention. (04H 00H 02H 05H 2CH 00H)

Solution: The Drive is going bad.
-----------------

What type of CDR media are you using? This can be a factor, but MTUSUPPORT would be better to say whether media can cause this error message.

If there is anything else you have discovered, post it here so MTUSUPPORT can aid later. I believe he is out of town this weekend with his wife and daughter.

Anyone else had experience with this problem?
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:44 PM

George,
I appreciate your help. I have tried numerous cds from different manufactures but never a cdrw. I did try duplicating a disc and my karaoke machine DID play it even when I got the error message.

But it still doesn't solve my major problem-I want to burn a cd with my own compliation. Now that I have gotten all my favorites on my hard drive- I want to put them all together on discs. That is why I bought all this stuff.

And like I have said time and time again. The burner does NOTHING when I try to burn a custom assembly.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:58 PM

I understand. I mentioned that I'd played successfully after getting the message so's you'd try it if you hadn't.

I only mentioned I'd been using a cdrw for MTU's benefit.

Perhaps knowing the discs work even after getting that message will be helpful to MTU in getting a step closer to resolving your problem.

Take care,

George
Old April 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM

Chris,

I don't see any mention regarding what version of DirectX you have on your P.C. Microstudio requires Version9.0 or better to run properly.

What version DirectX do you have?

To save you time, if you're unfamiliar on how to check this, click on Start, Run, and type in dxdiag. Near the bottom of the first page that crops up it will tell you which version it is.

If you don't have 9.0 or better, you can download it for your operating system from the Microsoft website. It's free.

Something else, are we safe in assuming that the cdg files you copied to your hard drive were done so with Microstudio?

Questions, questions, questions, but it's a process of elimination. I for one have never seen another case where a disc will burn using Disc Copy, but not through Custom Assy.

What makes that strange is that on Disc Copy, the actual burn is from the hard drive, as Microstudio writes a hard drive image, then burns.

Maybe the burner is taking a dump, but we need to eliminate every other possibility until that gets established as the reason.

Hang in there, it will get resolved.

George

Last edited by George; April 3rd, 2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:47 PM

George,

You know MTU needs to pay you for providing support for them.
You do a great job!

I have directx9 or better. All the cdg's where copied with microstudio.

Also what is even stranger is I can burn with this drive within musicmatch. Musicmatch is a program where you can download songs (not Karaoke) and burn them.

Thank You, George for your help
Old April 3rd, 2004, 10:15 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the kind words, but not doing so swift this go around..

Have you thought to uninstall and re-install Microstudio?

Something could have not gotten configured properly.

Stranger things have happened. I believe I'd even unplug the pc for a few minutes or so between the uninstall and re-install.

Take care,

George
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:31 AM

Chris,

Found the following at the Plextor website.

"If you are experiencing a drive problem after updating the drive firmware, for those drives with the self-diagnostic feature (PX-320A, PX-W4012A/U, PX-4824A/U, PX-W4012S, PX-W5224A, Premium, Premium-U, PX-708A/UF), please perform the self-diagnostic prior to calling Tech Support. The self-diagnostic must be performed with a disc from your drive's recommended media list. Please check your Users Manual (or download the manual) for the correct procedure."

If you've already upgraded the drive firmware as suggested, you might try running the drive self-diagnostics.

Take care,

George
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM

George,

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Microstudio.
I also have run diagnostics- revealed no problem.

As far as media I Have tried CDR discs by PLextor, Maxell (three different kinds), Sony, HP. All with the same result.
Old April 4th, 2004, 04:14 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously using a scatter gun on this one, but at least Support will be armed with more info.

Take care,

George