MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum

CD-Recorders and Media Open Forum All about drives and media

Old February 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Compatability List

**Sorry for asking this, I tried to google this list and look in the FAQ on the site and the links kept taking me in circles**

I am looking to find a link for the current list of compatable drives for Hoster and Microstudio. I am wondering if the Plextor PX-708A (which I am thinking of ripping out of an old computer and putting in my show computer) will be up to the task or not. If anyone knows the link for all the compatable drives, or knows if this will work please let me know. Thanks.
Old February 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

There is no list anymore. The list they had was because the method they used to use for communication with the drives had to be specifically set up for each drive.
Now they use a common method that is available in all the "newer" drives so they have no way of listing what all works and what doesn't. Suffice it to say that most DVD types will work if manufactured within the last 3 or 4 years. As far as the Plextor 708 I don't know. I have a 716 that is still in use.
When Plextor stopped garrantying that their drives would work for CDG, MTU switched to NEC Optiarc drives and have sold several different models. The biggest difference with the ones they sell is they have already been tested to make sure they work.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM

So basically NEC drives are what you recommend from if getting new drives in the future? I have pretty much always used Plextor. Too bad, I hate switching away from a company that has always made good drives for me.
Old February 16th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I have not had any problems with the two NECs I have bought from MTU. I don't recommend any specific brands or drives and since I am not an employee of MTU I can't say for them. Plextor stopped supporting CDG format but that doesn't mean their current drives will or won't work.
And I don't have a Plextor 708 so I don't know if it would work or not. What's the worst that could happen if you try it? It won't work and you have wasted a bit of time removing it from one computer and installing it in another. Try it and see.