MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Hoster Software > Hoster Help

Hoster Help Post Hoster questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old March 14th, 2017, 02:21 PM

two laptops with hoster

I have two laptops with hoster and my songs. I am currently working on cleaning up the database of song names on one and once I am finished want to update the other one with all of the edits. What is the best way to accomplish this. I don\'t want to do all this work and then go back to ground zero.
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Re: two laptops with hoster

WARNING! I\\\'m not an expert, but what worked for me was after I cleaned-up the first computer, I copied the database file Hoster onto a thumb drive. I then copied the other computer\\\'s Hoster database file onto a different usb to use as a backup. That way in case I screwed the transfer up, at least I still had my original information on the thumb drive for the second computer.

Next step for me was to delete the hoster file on my second computer and then copy the hoster file information from the first computer which was copied onto the first thumb drive.

In case you don\\\'t know where to find the hoster database file, open the \\\"Computer\\\" click on the hard drive, locate the \\\"ProgramData\\\" folder, open the folder and then locate the folder \\\"mtu.com\\\" open the folder and the \\\"Hoster\\\" folder will be there.

WARNING!! I\\\'m not an expert, so make sure you do the research to verify what you intend to do, before you do anything.
Also make a BACKUP!

Also, there are lots of experts on this sight who are able and willing to help you, I suggest you reword the Title to this thread to \\\"How to Move Hoster Database To My Second Computer\\\"

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:52 PM
VIP

Are you actually editing the songs on your drive when you say data base or are you editing the songs in Hoster via the edit page? If it is the later, once you have completed your editing in Hoster go to the \"help\" column in Hoster, click on \"backup/restore\". Hoster will shut down and open a default window where you can name the backup and save it where you want. I suggest saving it on a thumb drive. Place the thumb drive in your second computer, open Hoster, click on the \"help\" column as before, click on \"backup/restore\" and again Hoster will shut down and go to a default window. From there select the backup file you placed on your thumb drive and click on restore. When it completes your second computer with Hoster will match the first.

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 32GB Ram, Graphics: 3GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M
With Optimus Technology, Optical Drive: Blue-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) / DVD SuperMultic Drive, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC Plus Bluetooth 4.0, LED Backlit Keyboard, 512 GB Samsung Solid State Drive and 4.0 TB and 1.5 TB Hard Drives, 4 USB 3.0 Ports. Breakaway Audio Enhancer

Toshiba Satellite Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 6GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 256 GB Solid State Drive, Breakaway Audio Enhancer. 3 TB External WD Caviar Green Hard Drive.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:38 AM

WaltR,

Thanks for the input. If I had read your input about three weeks ago, I would have saved time and effort doing the same thing. My procedure worked, but yours is cleaner.

Thanks for sharing,

Wes

Acer 11.6 inch Aspire V-5 Laptop with Win 7 Home Intel Celeron 1007U Processor 1.50Ghz 4GB ram

Acer 15.6 inch Aspire E1-531 Laptop with Win Home 10 64, Intel B960 Processor 2.2Ghz 4GB ram.
Old April 13th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltR View Post
Are you actually editing the songs on your drive when you say data base or are you editing the songs in Hoster via the edit page? If it is the later, once you have completed your editing in Hoster go to the \\\"help\\\" column in Hoster, click on \\\"backup/restore\\\". Hoster will shut down and open a default window where you can name the backup and save it where you want. I suggest saving it on a thumb drive. Place the thumb drive in your second computer, open Hoster, click on the \\\"help\\\" column as before, click on \\\"backup/restore\\\" and again Hoster will shut down and go to a default window. From there select the backup file you placed on your thumb drive and click on restore. When it completes your second computer with Hoster will match the first.
WaltR,

In my posting on this thread, I indicated how I transferred the information from my HOSTER folder from my MAIN computer to my BACKUP computer after I edited my song database to eliminate duplication and spelling errors, so my SongBook could be up to date. I only have 3,673 songs, but it takes over two hours to copy the HOSTER folder onto my thumb drive, in order to transfer it to my BACKUP computer using my method.

I followed your suggestion doing the backup and then recover, but before I replace my BACKUP HOSTERr folder, I need to know your method will do what I want it to do. I\'m just not sure.

At the same time, my MASTER HOSTER Folder has lots of files added over the years which I\'m sure I don\'t need, so what are the files and folders that I must keep in order to replicate my MASTER?

Thanks,
Wes

Old April 14th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
WaltR,

In my posting on this thread, I indicated how I transferred the information from my HOSTER folder from my MAIN computer to my BACKUP computer after I edited my song database to eliminate duplication and spelling errors, so my SongBook could be up to date. I only have 3,673 songs, but it takes over two hours to copy the HOSTER folder onto my thumb drive, in order to transfer it to my BACKUP computer using my method.

I followed your suggestion doing the backup and then recover, but before I replace my BACKUP HOSTERr folder, I need to know your method will do what I want it to do. Im just not sure.

At the same time, my MASTER HOSTER Folder has lots of files added over the years which Im sure I dont need, so what are the files and folders that I must keep in order to replicate my MASTER?

Thanks,
Wes
What size is your Hoster folder ? Mine is only about 60 Mb. Takes only seconds to copy.

The only reason I can think why yours could be that big is if you save your music files inside that Hoster folder.

Its normal practice to save your music files to a separate folder.

Im not saying the Backup/Restore feature wont work cant think why it wouldnt. It was intended just to copy all the settings and the song and singer databases, Playlists, Instubuttons. also all the Hoster registry settings.
When you just copy the Hoster folder it does not copy the registry files so that is an advantage with the Backup/Restore feature especially if you have a lot of instabuttons setup, also it compresses it so taking up less space.
Show Computer: Windows 10, Dell Inspiron 15 7000, CPU I7-855OU, Ram 8GB, Graphics UHD620 + Nvidea GeForce 940MX, Hard Drive SSD 256GB + 1GB internal.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:23 PM

Roy,

One more time you figured it out. Yes, I do have my songs in the mtu/Hoster folder. Which makes Hoster 17.0GB with 4,132 files and 22 forlders. When I open the Hoster file, I have my Karaoke song as one of the folders. The Karaoke folder is 16.2GB with 3,673 songs 0 folders.

I thought I had something messed up when I did the back-up and the songs were not included. So, when I change my songs using edit to remove dupes and correct spelling and other things, I have to copy and then paste if I plan on doing the same thing to my back-up.

I guess if I keep the songs in a different folder, I\'ll still have to copy and paste the songs when I edit them in order to match MASTER to BACK-UP.

Thanks again,

Wes

Old April 15th, 2017, 08:07 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrahn View Post
Roy,

One more time you figured it out. Yes, I do have my songs in the mtu/Hoster folder. Which makes Hoster 17.0GB with 4,132 files and 22 forlders. When I open the Hoster file, I have my Karaoke song as one of the folders. The Karaoke folder is 16.2GB with 3,673 songs 0 folders.

I thought I had something messed up when I did the back-up and the songs were not included. So, when I change my songs using edit to remove dupes and correct spelling and other things, I have to copy and then paste if I plan on doing the same thing to my back-up.

I guess if I keep the songs in a different folder, I\\\\\\\'ll still have to copy and paste the songs when I edit them in order to match MASTER to BACK-UP.

Thanks again,

Wes
That is unusual but I still think using Hoster\\\'s Backup/restore is your best bet. When you copy your song file to the other computer, why not just copy the song file itself instead of the the whole Hoster file? To make it faster in the the future, add a new folder and call it for example \"New Songs\". Then you would only have to copy this folder to the other computer as you update and still use the Backup/restore option.

Toshiba Qosmio Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 32GB Ram, Graphics: 3GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M
With Optimus Technology, Optical Drive: Blue-ray Disc Rewriteable (BD-RE) / DVD SuperMultic Drive, Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC Plus Bluetooth 4.0, LED Backlit Keyboard, 512 GB Samsung Solid State Drive and 4.0 TB and 1.5 TB Hard Drives, 4 USB 3.0 Ports. Breakaway Audio Enhancer

Toshiba Satellite Laptop; Windows 10, Intel I7, 6GB Ram, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 256 GB Solid State Drive, Breakaway Audio Enhancer. 3 TB External WD Caviar Green Hard Drive.
Old April 19th, 2017, 12:19 PM

UPDATE

After reading the advice from both Roy and WaltR, I moved my Karaoke, MP3+G and Audio files from the ProgramData/mtu/Hoster folder to C:/MTU folder.

Next, I then ran the database program and after some stumbling, I think I\'m back to where I was and ready to go.

Once again, my thanks to Roy and WaltR who are willing to help folks like I, who can\'t seem to interrupt the Hoster Manual.

Thanks!!!

Wes