MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old April 21st, 2002, 07:58 PM
Frequent Member

So What do you use to put your songbooks together with?

I have been using KJPRO since about a year ago but am not 100% happy with it. My company is smallso I have to make prudent choices in printing books. That is why I prefer using 2 column song lists. My Problem has been that while KJPRO has what I consider the best features of all the books I've checked out, in printing an artist list when I get to an artist whose songs end up continuing onto the next column- the Artist name doesd not appear again so people definately know what artist the songs belong to. Now I also don't want to have to print an artist's name every time his songs are printed in the artist listing. I assume I have to deal with printing the name in the Song Title listing. But if I can avoid wasting more ink than I absolutely have to, I will do it. I believe I have found the solution- Fast Tracks Plus. It not only does everything I need it to do, I am able to use my old song list so I don't have to type them again, Print song slips, CD labels where I don't have type anything except a footer line into the thing. The only thing I don't like about the cd labels is that fact that I am stuck with Avery Labels which the best I can get is a pack that will only give me 40 labels per package. I had been use to being able to get 100 labels per package with my separate label program. I might suggest they add the choice to use Memorex labels as well as Avery.
Old May 1st, 2002, 07:12 PM

Fast Tracks Plus

Yea, KJ Pro is ok, but updating is a little more expensive than it should be. I also noted the same problems you encountered, but another thing that bugs me about KJ Pro is this:

You enter in the catalog number of the disc and it adds the track number and all is well. However in my case, I wanted the song books to print a number more to my needs so I had cases for the discs and labeled them A, B, C, D, E, and F. Then gave each slot in the case a number 1 through 99. I renamed the discs to coincide with their location so that a SC-8159 would print A32 instead. The singer finds the song and writes A32-?? and I just grab holder A, disc 32 and bam, no trying to remember where in my holders that disc is.

However, KJ Pro erases the catalog number and replaces it with the new number, making going back impossible. Then I couldn't print a disc list that had all the mfg numbers, making it much more difficult for me to keep from buying the same disc again.

I would suggest KJ Pro make a "stock number" field so that if I enter my number I can choose to print the list with either mfg number or stock number.

Anyway, thought I'd share my problem and will look at fast track plus. Thanks for the tip! By the way, where can I get it?
Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:42 AM

I've been using Music Book Deluxe for about a year. It uses a Crystal Reports engine to generate lists. I like the report layouts & options (1-, 2-, 3-, or 4-columns, by Artist or Title, Disk listings for inventory, request slip layouts) and the program itself is pretty easy to work with. It isn't cheap ($130 + $70 annually after the first year for database updates), but they update their database often & have a lot of manufacturers. Details are on http://www.musicbookdeluxe.com
Old May 20th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Frequent Member

I found something I didn't like in fast tracks plus- not worth the money as the only good feature is their song request cards.
When you print out the sheet if you have a title or artist name longer than the space provided it cuts words out of what is suppossed to be there. At least KJPRO moves the words to the next line. I do like their Song request forms though. Thank goodness I noticed this before I bought it.

Keleigh, if you could generate a song report- not important what is in it- I just need to see what a song list would look like in Artist format where the artist's songs go to the next column or page in a multiple column list- this is the only limitation that i don't like in KJPRO is that in 2 column mode any artist's songs that go to the next page doesn't give you the artist's name at the top. I only want the artist's name to appear once in any column.

just email me or post an attachment in response to this message
Old May 21st, 2002, 12:47 PM

Lightbulb

I developed a pretty good MicroSoft Access database that has several features you might be interested in. To populate the database, I designed a form that has drop down boxes for several fields that makes data entry allot cleaner and faster (i.e. - Music Style (Pop, New Country, Old Country, etc.), Music Type (i.e. - Vocals, Karaoke)). You can label the CD # and Track # however you like during data entry. I use numbers like 1 - 250, which I label on the CD and on the case. You also can make several types of printouts which is the real benefit of this database (By Singers last name, By Song Title, By CD #). A special note of interest here. The database has a first name and last name field. So, whatever you put in the last name column is what gets sorted (A-Z). And the nice thing is, on the printout, it combines the first and last name so you see the full name for readability. You also can make printouts for you copied CD jackets. This printout has the songs listed in order with the CD # real big at the top. You just print them out, cut once and fold before inserting into the jacket. This makes it real conveinient for all those copied CDs that don't have a song list. I do this for all my CDs since I make backups of everything and keep the master copy out of harms way. If you are interested, I could send you copies of the printouts. Of course, I didn't do all this work for nothing so I'll have to ask a price for all my perfecting of this database. And yes, I'll support it and custom design it for you if you are the type that likes things just so. ;)

Ken
Old June 5th, 2002, 03:59 PM

Karaoke Spigot is pretty decent for beginners

I use Karaoke Spigot to do my songbooks, and use Microsoft Access 97 to edit the master database.

It will print the Artist per column as was mentioned in another part of this thread, but is missing some key features such as song request slip printing, ability to design your own reports, etc etc.

The best one I have seen in my searching is MusicBook Deluxe. They keep their database very current, will add discs if requested, and also has the ability to print song request slips, as well as give a disc number list report (to inventory collections).

It really depends on how much you want to spend: you can buy the spigot program and copy & paste the song info from the manufacturer, or save time by purchasing a program that already has all the updates.

There's my two cents
Scoob
Old June 27th, 2002, 09:29 PM

Re: Karaoke Spigot is pretty decent for beginners

[quote]Originally posted by Scoob7809
[b]I use Karaoke Spigot to do my songbooks, and use Microsoft Access 97 to edit the master database....

Interesting, I too started out with the Karaoke Spigot, I also happen to live in the same area as the one who markets it (Biff Mele'). But not liking the limitation of the original software, (it was originally done with Access 4), I converted it, and wrote my own front end to it, plus added a lot more features. As I am a Database designer (I use Access 2002 developer version extensively) and I am also a Crystal Reports writer (I do work for the Department of State), and use Crystal all day long. I put together quite a nice little utility for creating my songbooks, and purchase the periodic updates from Biff. I figured it was worth it for me NOT to type all that stuff in. I have found quite a few errors in the database, but I can live with it as I bring in each new CD, I can correct the flaws on the fly, if need be.

When I found out that Brian (Cox) was working on the Karaoke Pro (hoster) system, at the time, he had no definite plans to incorporate songbook printing with the hoster software. I offered to provide a polished up version of my Database for use with the hoster software, and in the process, provide an updated version of the Karaoke Spigot (with permission from Biff, of course) but he later informed me he was going to provide a songbook capability with Hoster, so I didn't do any further polishing up of my software. I am now waiting for Hoster (as I am sure we all are). He did promise to make the database portion of it compabible with Access format (I hope that is still the case) as several of us wanted to be able to write our own utilities for it.

And in one of my posts, I did mention I would most likely provide it for free, if I developed any. Might even write some Crystal Reports addins for it. We'll see what the next few months will bring us.

Waiting patienlty (no, not really, I want it!)
emwalter
Old August 8th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Years ago I tried Spigot.... didn't like it and we wrote our own.

We just put a demo of it up on the net for people to try out. We never intended it to be a "for-sale-product" because it was for our own use.

Feel free to give it a try by clicking HERE.

We didn't like the limited formats of Crystal Reports (back then) so this exports rich text files.
Old August 11th, 2002, 12:01 PM

people follow me everywhere!

I used the 1952 version of Spigot and it was ok until I found the ultimate solution!
Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:39 AM

karaoke books

I'm new to this forum so i'm probably way late but, my karaoke books are rather simple. I have about 5000 song titles all on a"karaoke computer" with all MTU software and we update our books monthly. Heres our answer. We just use microsoft office and once you do the original entries, we just put a new selections section in the front of the book until we have enough new songs to justify a reprint and copy. When that time comes i simply copy and paste the additions into the main works "karaoke book " file then realphabatize by artist for the front section of the book and by songtitle for the rear. I then delete the entries for the "addon list" and continue to add new additions to the file till time to copy again.NOTE: 1=i always print the addons in a different color than the main pages 2=i have a master book for me alphabatized by song title,artist, and disc# & track#. 3=I modified my song numbers for easier id on the computer files ( all 5 digit# + letters) example 8150= 08150 and 45tt= 00045tt) songbook matches computer, matches backup disk pouches ) Easy entry, easy update and CHEAP ( excuse me cost effective) lol.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:37 PM

Smile Song Books

I use Excell also and basically do the very same thing. I do like your idea of have the new additions in a different color. I'll have to try that. Since I recopy my originals and add them to new discs, I don't have any use for those karaoke song book programs. The data bases they have in them are basically useless to me because one of my discs may have sound choice, chartbusters, etc. all on the same disc.

I do have a little problem I'm working on and maybe you or someone has an economical anwser. I have been having a local printing company print up my books. I'm at the point where it's cheaper to have them do it then it is for me to buy paper and ink not to mention the wear & tear on my printer. The printing company told me the other day that I could email them my book and that would save me from even having to print out a master copy for them to copy from. However, they told me that I would need to convert my excell file to .pdf. From what I have found, I'm looking at close to $300 to $400 for the program. Is there not some other way or a cheaper route to go?

Kelly
Old September 3rd, 2002, 10:31 PM

Re: Song Books

Quote:
Originally posted by kedmison
...........However, they told me that I would need to convert my excell file to .pdf. From what I have found, I'm looking at close to $300 to $400 for the program. Is there not some other way or a cheaper route to go?
kedmison,

It's not worth it for you to spend $300. How far away is the printer from you? How many times do you reprint your books?
I'd print it out and take to a printer who can do the job right at the best price!

Good Luck,
Steve
Old September 4th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Frequent Member

Re: Re: Song Books

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

kedmison,

It's not worth it for you to spend $300. How far away is the printer from you? How many times do you reprint your books?
I'd print it out and take to a printer who can do the job right at the best price!

Good Luck,
Steve
or find some printing company that can take a floppy that contains a word document. I have someone who can do that and I export my list from KJPRO to excel sort them and then copy and paste them into word. a couple of extra steps but it makes them look better than what I get from KJPRO alone. I have had no problem using KJPRO to custom create song lists that contain more than just one brand of song. I just import to a custom book discs that contain the songs I want and then eliminate the songs I don't have on the disc. Then I renumber the disc ID to the ID I plan on using for the book and the track the song is going to be on the disc. It is a little work but at least I don't have to type out the titles and artists in the program.
Old September 4th, 2002, 06:58 PM

danny_g is right.

Find a printer who can use the Excel file format and email the file to them. I would still need to meet them in person the first time to see their work.

Steve
Old October 14th, 2003, 06:14 PM

Musicbookdeluxe can export to .PDF

I have been using musicbookdeluxe faithfully for over two years now, and they have added a PDF export feature.

They have the most accurate, up to date database I have personally found (including missing/inaccurate listings from KJPRO)
as well as fantastic tech support.

Hope that helps!

Scoob
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:17 PM

You can buy laser printers for about £50-00.
Why not do it yourself??

Quote:
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd! - Edmund Blackadder
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:16 PM

I have gone from using Excel to using Access. Access is awsome!

Ernie
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Frequent Member

Re: Musicbookdeluxe can export to .PDF

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoob7809
I have been using musicbookdeluxe faithfully for over two years now, and they have added a PDF export feature.

They have the most accurate, up to date database I have personally found (including missing/inaccurate listings from KJPRO)
as well as fantastic tech support.

Hope that helps!

Scoob
I tested music book deluxe and my only problem with that program is that if I have a song title that has to move down a line to fit - music book just cuts it off- kjpro + excell won't.
Old January 30th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Frequent Member

Re: Re: Musicbookdeluxe can export to .PDF

Quote:
Originally posted by danny_g
I tested music book deluxe and my only problem with that program is that if I have a song title that has to move down a line to fit - music book just cuts it off- kjpro + excell won't.
I also hate how hard it is to use period. I'll stick with the easy to use KJPRO thank you- This is one of the things I went with home produscer over the other programs out there for producing songs.
Old February 9th, 2004, 01:16 AM

Talking Cost of Printing

I went to a Computer Fair Last Fall & I got a real neat outfit, If i can help Anyone save $ I will pass this on, Special requirements you can only use certain brand Canon printers with it, But I found spending a Little More Now saves in the long run to print out My 14 song books I was spending around $150.00 each time, The Inkjet Refill Kit cost $160. - $ 180, the new printer costed me $100. so for less than $300. I was up and Running with it, I so far have printed 2 complete sets of 14 books so that would be the same as printing out 28 books once, The old way thats $300 right there, I haven't even hardly used a quarter bottle of ink yet of any color, I also have printed out several pages of flyers and Business Cards, I now do all my own printing instead of paying someone else, What a cost saver, I enjoy having it, If you decide to buy one send me an e-mail so I can send You My name and adress I would like my free bottles of ink for refering you to them, Please Thanks Bruce Jr. brucejrskaraoke@mchsi.com is my e-mail to check out the ink go to www.ink-pro.com