MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old June 23rd, 2003, 04:42 PM

costumes

I tried this the other night. I have a big bin of costumes (wigs, elvis garb, YMCA garb, flowers, leighs, feathers, etc) and props (fake mics, keyboard, gtrs, etc). I took it to a gig. Everybody loved it. Anybody else done this? One extra bin to carry, but well worth it. It also adds a little comedy.
Old July 12th, 2003, 12:21 PM

costumes

What a cool idea!

One place I worked used to get those inflatable saxophones and Stratocasters, but they wouldn't last very long -- from overuse!

The other KJ used an old-timey usher's uniform for his dress. We didn't get much in this respect from the customers. However, one woman would show up dressed as an old spinster. Each song, a layer of clothing would come off, each layer revealing more of the artist that she is.

Most of it is overcoming stage fright (with or without the help of alcohol) as a means of having fun. And nothing beats the attraction of a professionally trained mouth playing up the lonely bachelor motif combined with a truly ecclectic selection of songs when it comes to drawing a crowd.

Ah, but while I convalesce, I think I'll start grabbing up a few of these things you mentioned. As I start to get out more and more often (even just going to the store), I keep seeing people I knew, and they all scream for me to get back into it! Hah! Just you wait! Just you wait!

-cw
Old August 2nd, 2003, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up Do it here!

I think my employees thought I was nuts when I called from the local Value Village and other thrift stores saying I was picking out Bras!

I have been using props and costumes in my Show hear in Seattle since I began. The bra is used for a number we do by Bette Midler, "Otto Titsling" invariable it gets used for other things.

My Bar is in a MIXED Community. By mixed I mean that it is a gay/straight neighborhood and my Bar is an openly "MIXED" bar. I find it lots of fun to see the straight people dressing in more Drag than the gay people.

We all have a good time and at the end I look back with a smile. What I would ask is, what are some other good song and prop combinations?

Here is a list of the props that get used the most:

Boas, Boas, Boas (mostly by men!)
Fake Boobs (usually by both)
Cowboy Hats
Rocking Horse (Used especial in "Wanted, Dead or Alive")
Fog Machine (Of Course!)
Doctors Jacket/Coat (Dentist)
Phantom Mask

I am looking for broken guitars for air guitar, a Kaiser Wilhelm hat, and other fun hats.
Old February 5th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Costumes yea!!

I have a wicker chest, I am not mobile I have a set venue, but it would be great for you mobiles, look for a good size wicker chest, paint it festively and put in wigs, masks,fishing hats,marti gra jewelry and fun sunglasses, Elvis glasses complete with sideburns, hats are a must, cowboy, derby,fedora for your sinatra, grass skirt, palm tree hat, maracas, goto Salvation army, or other thrift store and you will be amazed at how much fun you could dream up.
Get a hatrack with multiple pegs all the way down the mast or make one and put all the assorted stuff out for display. Your Singers and show will love it!!

Seve