MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Singers & Hosts Wisdom

Singers & Hosts Wisdom Post how to be a great karaoke singer or host.

Old February 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
How much did he/you get at Applebee's?
i never did Applebees, my friends does and i believe they are making $200 a night, when i used to do karaoke ( a month ago) i was making $250 a night ( fri. only) from 9pm-till closing around 2 or 3am, but before that when i used to do a japanese restaurant i was making $200 a night 4-days a week ,(thu-sat. 8pm-11pm and sun 5pm-9pm)..and i was getting paid after the 4 days..and also with an agreement that if i have a private party to do i will have someone do the show for me.. i had to quit when they decided to put me on a payroll and had to get paid every 15 days..
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:02 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
I had to quit when they decided to put me on a payroll and had to get paid every 15 days..
why, don't understand?

Old February 7th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
why, don't understand?

Do you Pay Taxes?

Old February 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklwood View Post

yup i do pay taxes,as a matter of fact besides the taxes thats was taken out , when tax time comes in i still have to pay more tax with all the deductions i have ...I NEVER FOOL AROUND WITH UNCLE SAM!!

Last edited by billyo; February 7th, 2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
why, don't understand?
i dont wanna get paid every 15 days, id like to have some in my pocket just incase ( which is always in my case ) i have to buy other gears, i'm the kind of person that everytime i see or hear something that will improve my sound system or make it easier for me ..i will buy.. i dont use credit card to buy my gears, nor do i ask my wife for money, whatever i make doing karaoke goes to buying my equipments, (like i said very very expensive hobby)one thing i learned about paying cash, you can not get your money back if you returned ,,you'll get a store credit

Last edited by billyo; February 7th, 2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:40 AM
VIP

Quote:
Since I was 14, yes.

Old February 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
VIP

Quote:
i dont wanna get paid every 15 days, id like to have some in my pocket just incase ( which is always in my case ) i have to buy other gears, i'm the kind of person that everytime i see or hear something that will improve my sound system or make it easier for me ..i will buy.. i dont use credit card to buy my gears, nor do i ask my wife for money, whatever i make doing karaoke goes to buying my equipments, (like i said very very expensive hobby)one thing i learned about paying cash, you can not get your money back if you returned ,,you'll get a store credit
Oh, I see. I just always thought that getting paid 100 dollars a day is the same as getting 1500 dollars every 15 days (for example). Maybe I'm off on the math.

Old February 7th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Oh, I see. I just always thought that getting paid 100 dollars a day is the same as getting 1500 dollars every 15 days (for example). Maybe I'm off on the math.
i'd rather have the 100 a day ,that way i dont have to worry about running out of gas, i feel safe knowing i have a 100 in my pocket ( just a metaphor)..and yeah i've been paying taxes ever since the min. wage was $1.75..

Last edited by billyo; February 7th, 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
yup since i was making $1.75 an hour
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
VIP

Quote:
i'd rather have the 100 a day ,that way i dont have to worry about running out of gas, i feel safe knowing i have a 100 in my pocket ( just a metaphor)..and yeah i've been paying taxes ever since the min. wage was $1.75..
Oh, I see. I just thought it was a little strong when you said "You had to quit, because you weren't willing to wait 15 days for a paycheck, that's all. That's a big paycheck to throw away for such a short wait.

Old February 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see. I just thought it was a little strong when you said "You had to quit, because you weren't willing to wait 15 days for a paycheck, that's all. That's a big paycheck to throw away for such a short wait.
yeah i know, but like i said it's just a hobby for me, not my main sourced of income..
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:48 PM

The Economy

Well, i'll be honest here, i only pay taxes from a 1099. Any other unaccountable cash, I do not. My gut feeling is so do 99% of all others out there, and my estimate may be a little small!!! I do believe i have paid my share and maybe a little more than most, and right now, don't like what i'm getting in return.
muzicman
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman144 View Post
Well, i'll be honest here, i only pay taxes from a 1099. Any other unaccountable cash, I do not. My gut feeling is so do 99% of all others out there, and my estimate may be a little small!!! I do believe i have paid my share and maybe a little more than most, and right now, don't like what i'm getting in return.
muzicman
thats' true im with you 100%, when i do private parties and i get cash, that goes into my pocket, but if i do company functions, you know you'll get a check so i keep track on those and i put them together with my karaoke gigs, you're lucky you are get something in return, i've been paying uncle sam ever since i started working
Old February 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM

be honest

It sucks beign honest. I claim every bit of what i do. I have to since this is my carrer. I live off my work. I run one system and other people run the other 3. I wrtie off my milage, food, everything i buy I write it off. I have to claim everything for credit. i cant buy a car or anything without proof of income. I am a self prop which i will be changing since i pay an extra 15%

Anyway i have to in order to live. If i claim less I make less and gives me less credit
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:06 PM

My 2009 has just been lousy....I had a cancelled New Years Show to start, my shows at my own post has been cut back to none. And Now I will have to go 25+ miles to do a show that will only pay me 125 dollars for three hours...I have started to sell some of my backup equipment so I can recoop some money......Everyone in my area has been cutting back. I was supposed to have a Wednesday gig at a local restaurant, but they closed due to the silent partner's not being so silent....
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
My 2009 has just been lousy....I had a cancelled New Years Show to start, my shows at my own post has been cut back to none. And Now I will have to go 25+ miles to do a show that will only pay me 125 dollars for three hours...I have started to sell some of my backup equipment so I can recoop some money......Everyone in my area has been cutting back. I was supposed to have a Wednesday gig at a local restaurant, but they closed due to the silent partner's not being so silent....

dont feel bad, i just lost a gig this weekend ( sat. feb 7 ) i was supposed to do a big 18th birthday at the crown hotel, and someone under cut me, a friend of the host who's wife works with his wife, decided that he could do it for less and come to find out he's just starting out, and from what i heard he had brought in a home type equipments complete with tuner and cd player.. oh well thats how bad the economy is they will go to who ever is cheaper..
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
VIP

My wife just got an increase in pay (totally unsolicited by us) last weekend for two of her weekly gigs.

There's still some good news left yet.

I was told by a local restaurant that I played twice at last year that I would be used "a heck-of-a-lot" more this year. I also told them that the price break I gave them only held those last two times I played there. i said the 150 dollar nights are going to have to be 200 dollars. He said great.

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Then When all else happens they happen for the worse. Last year I had a verbal commitment from the Race for the Cure folks that I would emcee their next couple of events...My own post commander and General manager cut me out of the deal without consulting me and the coordinators of the events. So now there is some infighting....I tell you this is really hinky!
System #1
Dell Latitude E6400 Pentium Duo Core
Windows 7 Professional
4GB RAM
8xDVD-RW
320GB hard disk drive
160 GB External HD USB
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM

How are economic changes effecting

Again, I know i'll catch flak for this, but this is great for the "professional entertainer". They draw the crowds that pay the tab to keep clubs open. They will also play when all others have been tried and failed. Clubs will see this and make the choice to draw crowds. Get the best equipment you can for a quality show. When all else fails, at least you will have something to sell, and not that ole $99 karaoke machine. Just keep on hacking, it'll happen
muzicman
Old February 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvic View Post
My own post commander and General manager cut me out of the deal without consulting me and the coordinators of the events. So now there is some infighting....I tell you this is really hinky!

I think this is typical of most VFW and legion posts, at least around here anyway.