MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old October 16th, 2008, 09:51 PM

Thumbs down Microstudio 4.006 problem: inaccessible

In July, I loaded Microstudio 4.006, Keywrite 2.012, KHPro 4.107 and Vogone 2.001 on my new Dell XPS running XP. After the initial shake-down, all was well. I used Microstudio and Keywrite successfully. I then upgraded to Keywrite 2.10 on 9/16 and problems appeared. Sometimes, when I clicked on Microstudio, the hourglass would stay on for 5-10 seconds and then disappear. The program never presented a window on the screen and did not appear in the task bar at the bottom. Yet, using the task manager, I can see Microstudio.exe occupying about 7,696K with CPU=00. My overall CPU usage is 0%, but when I try to open Windows Explorer, I can wait forever since the Task Manager shows Explorer as "Not running. It starts running when I go in with Task manager and End Process the Microstudio.exe.
I have un-installed Microstudio (which eliminated the MTU folder), reinstalled and re-registered Microstudio with no luck. I then uninstalled all four of the MTU programs and reinstalled them. All four were successfully re-registered. Keywrite, KHPro and Vogone come up fine; Microstudio is totally inaccessible. Oh yes, I ran Norton WinDoctor after the uninstall to check the registry and clean up any loose ends on my system.
Any ideas for what else I might try? Suggestions appreciated.
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Have you done the Custom Updates from Microsoft? You should install them all, but particularly .net Framework.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddouglass View Post
Have you done the Custom Updates from Microsoft? You should install them all, but particularly .net Framework.
Thanks. I am on automatic Update so I presumed I was up to date.
I checked with MS and found a recommendation to download/install this:
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) (x86)
I did so, rebooted and tried opening Microstudio (I had removed all the other MTU software previously), but got the same result. Microstudio.exe appears in the list of tasks, but is not consuming any CPU and doesn't have an open window. It is as though there is some task that is blocking Microstudio from opening. I tried opening Excel and it behaved similarly to Microstudio (appeared in task list but didn't open into a window) until I did an EndTask to microstudio.exe at which time Excel opened normally.
PS. I am loading Microstudio from my downloaded microstudiosetup.exe.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

To get all the .net Framework updates you have to go back several times. I would also recommend that you install all of the updates listed, not just the .net Framework ones.
The Auto Update that is set-up on your computer and the Express Updates on their web site only install what they deem as "critical security updates". This obviously is not all of the updates they put out.
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:07 AM

downloaded latest SP for Net 2.0

Quote:
To get all the .net Framework updates you have to go back several times. I would also recommend that you install all of the updates listed, not just the .net Framework ones.
The Auto Update that is set-up on your computer and the Express Updates on their web site only install what they deem as "critical security updates". This obviously is not all of the updates they put out.
=========================
I did download all those deemed critical. I went back to the MS security/update site. The MS program said I had all the "critical" updates, but said there were two optional choices for XP.
> Update for Root Certificates
> Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
Neither of these seems relevant to MTU. The MS upgrade analyzer never gave me an option for downloading any of the other .net frameworks (such as 3.0 or 3.5 shown below). Is that because they are incompatible with XP? Should I get those separately? It looks like Service Pack 2 is the latest release for 2.0. I wish MTU offered for-pay support. I'd pay $500 for a tech to use Remote Assistance and fix my problem.
------------------------------------------------------------
There are currently five released versions of the .NET Framework:
The .NET Framework 3.5
The .NET Framework 3.0
Service pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
The .NET Framework 2.0
Service pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
The .NET Framework 1.1
Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
The .NET Framework 1.0
Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the latest service pack.

Last edited by EclecticProf; October 17th, 2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Add more explanation.
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I am not talking about updating the "Critical" items, but updating all the rest. The critical updates are taken care of by the Auto Update.
On your Start menu you will see an entry for Microsoft Update. When the page opens click on the Custom button. After is searches it will find any and all updates (Windows, Software, and Hardware) for your computer including the .net Framework (only do these one per trip instead of all at once because it will bog down and have a hard time loading them all). DO NOT install .net Framework 3.5 as there have been problems found when using this one.
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Microsoft Update entry???

Quote:
I am not talking about updating the "Critical" items, but updating all the rest. The critical updates are taken care of by the Auto Update.
On your Start menu you will see an entry for Microsoft Update. When the page opens click on the Custom button. After is searches it will find any and all updates (Windows, Software, and Hardware) for your computer including the .net Framework (only do these one per trip instead of all at once because it will bog down and have a hard time loading them all). DO NOT install .net Framework 3.5 as there have been problems found when using this one.
I don't see any entry labelled "Microsoft Update" when I click on the start button in the lower-left corner or when I look at the Start menu under documents and settings. When I go to Control Panel and select System and select Automatic updates, I don't see a Custom button. When I go to "Set Program Access and Defaults", I see a Custom button (which I have already selected) that doesn't involve Windows Updates. What am I missing? Do I need to be in administrator mode to see what you are talking about? PS. Thanks for your help!
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Since you have to be an administrator to install any updates then yes you need to be in administrator mode.
You must be using the XP Start menu. Sorry. Iuse the Classic Start Menu which shows it.
In Internet Explorer click on Tools, then click on Windows Updates. That will get you to their website. Or you can click on this link and it will get you there:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Nothing to download

Quote:
Since you have to be an administrator to install any updates then yes you need to be in administrator mode.
You must be using the XP Start menu. Sorry. Iuse the Classic Start Menu which shows it.
In Internet Explorer click on Tools, then click on Windows Updates. That will get you to their website. Or you can click on this link and it will get you there:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...ult.aspx?ln=en
Sorry for the confusion. No problem with getting the MS download website. I had gone to this website to download SP2 for .Net. When that didn't work, I selected "Custom". In a previous e-mail, I list the only 2 software items that showed up. Neither related to .NET. There are no other .Net downloads to be downloaded that I can see.
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I am not saying just anything having to do with .Net Framework. I am saying you need to install all of the items there. Other updates besides .net Framework will alsofix things that effect how programs run. This has been proven over and over.
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticProf View Post
Sorry for the confusion. No problem with getting the MS download website. I had gone to this website to download SP2 for .Net. When that didn't work, I selected "Custom". In a previous e-mail, I list the only 2 software items that showed up. Neither related to .NET. There are no other .Net downloads to be downloaded that I can see.
Go directly to Microsoft for .NET Framework.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Erectile dysfunction treatment
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:22 PM

No luck

Quote:
I am not saying just anything having to do with .Net Framework. I am saying you need to install all of the items there. Other updates besides .net Framework will alsofix things that effect how programs run. This has been proven over and over.
I've downloaded and installed every software patch/upgrade available. I've spent 8 hrs with Microsoft XP SP3 support. I've uninstalled every program I've loaded in the last month. I've tried booting in safe mode. I've tried re-installing from CD just in case my download version was corrupted. No luck. I've gotten the same error with Microstudio demo. And when Microstudio fails to open, this doesn't create an error in the event log. I have no idea of what else to do.
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:36 PM

Nothing else to download

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Go directly to Microsoft for .NET Framework.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
When looking in my Add/Remove programs, I see three .NET programs:
.Net Framework 1.1 (last date: 10/24/2007)
.Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366) (4/13/2007)
.Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (10/24/2007)
----------------
.Net Framework 2.0, SP1 was released 11/19/2007.
When I look on the Microsoft site you mention, I don't see anything newer (more current) to download.

Last edited by EclecticProf; October 19th, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

There is a version 3.0 and a Service Pack for it too as you had found earlier.
Since this happened after installing the Keywrite 2.10 maybe you need to try uninstalling Microstudio and it then just install Microstudio and see what happens.
The only other thing I can think of would be if you have Microstudio pointed to a folder with a large amount of files which would take quite a while for it to catalog them. Have you tried starting it and leaving the computer set for a while to see if it eventually comes up? I know that when I selected my folder with all my Hoster song (KMA) files, it took it well over an hour to catalog them. I have over 12,000 files in it.
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
There is a version 3.0 and a Service Pack for it too as you had found earlier.
Since this happened after installing the Keywrite 2.10 maybe you need to try uninstalling Microstudio and it then just install Microstudio and see what happens.
The only other thing I can think of would be if you have Microstudio pointed to a folder with a large amount of files which would take quite a while for it to catalog them. Have you tried starting it and leaving the computer set for a while to see if it eventually comes up? I know that when I selected my folder with all my Hoster song (KMA) files, it took it well over an hour to catalog them. I have over 12,000 files in it.
As I mentioned, I've uninstalled all the MTU programs and am just installing Microstudio (or MicrostudioDemo which has the same problem).
Q. If I do download/install V 3.0 and SP1, is this what I am after?
------------
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package
The Microsoft® .NET Framework version 3.0 redistributable package installs the common language runtime and associated files required to run applications developed to target the .NET Framework 3.0. 11/21/2006

.NET Framework 3.0 SP1 Service Pack 1 for .NET Framework 3.0 11/19/2007
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Will that fix the problem, I am not sure. Since none of us can see your computer then we can only go by what you tell us and make a best guess try. This should help, but don't know for sure that it will be the cure.
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM

Unhappy Done everything

Quote:
Will that fix the problem, I am not sure. Since none of us can see your computer then we can only go by what you tell us and make a best guess try. This should help, but don't know for sure that it will be the cure.
I've installed .Net Framework 3 and installed SP1. I've only got 200 Karaoke files on my hard-drive. I waited for 10 minutes with MicroStudioDemo and 25 minutes with MicroStudio. 0% CPU on both programs during that time. Neither one ever opens up the associated application. I can't open either Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer while I am waiting. As soon as I EndProcess the MicroStudio.exe task, the other programs open properly. I've spent over 10 hours on this problem and I'm getting frustrated. Isn't there some way to buy MTU Remote-Access support for their software on my PC?
Old October 21st, 2008, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

They do not offer that. Have you submitted a Support Email to see if they can help you? Include your phone number in it they may call if it is necessary.
Just out of curiosity do you have Microsoft Access on your system?
What burner program do you have loaded? Roxio or Nero?
These are all programs that have caused problems in the past. You won't have to remove the programs just fix some minor conflicts that could be cxausing interference. You would not have to remove them just make some minor changes.
There could also be some incorrect or missing information in the registry since you did do a registry cleanup. This would require deleting some registry keys pertaining to Microstudio to correct it. Microstudio would then rebuild the registry keys when opened. I can tell you how to do this if you feel you can handle it.
The last possible thing I would say for you to try would be to do a system restore to a date prior to installing the keywrite 2.10.
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM

More info

Quote:
They do not offer that. Have you submitted a Support Email to see if they can help you? Include your phone number in it they may call if it is necessary.
Just out of curiosity do you have Microsoft Access on your system?
What burner program do you have loaded? Roxio or Nero?
These are all programs that have caused problems in the past. You won't have to remove the programs just fix some minor conflicts that could be cxausing interference. You would not have to remove them just make some minor changes.
There could also be some incorrect or missing information in the registry since you did do a registry cleanup. This would require deleting some registry keys pertaining to Microstudio to correct it. Microstudio would then rebuild the registry keys when opened. I can tell you how to do this if you feel you can handle it.
The last possible thing I would say for you to try would be to do a system restore to a date prior to installing the keywrite 2.10.
I do appreciate your continuing support. I do have MS Access 2003. The CD-DVD-BluRay burner is a "PLDS BD-RE DH-4B1S SCSI" drive. The CD-writer software is "Roxio Creator Premier Blu-Ray 10.1." I see that Roxio has a new 2009 version. What should I do to make the "minor changes"? I've no problem with changing/deleting Registry keys or -- if necessary -- restoring to an earlier data. I downloaded Keywrite 2.1 on 9/16. I think I installed it immediately. Have you ever used TeamViewer? It's like a remote access; it seems easy and it is free. I'm in Minneapolis; where are you?

Last edited by EclecticProf; October 21st, 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: add detail
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticProf View Post
I do appreciate your continuing support. I do have MS Access 2003. The CD-DVD-BluRay burner is a "PLDS BD-RE DH-4B1S SCSI" drive. The CD-writer software is "Roxio Creator Premier Blu-Ray 10.1." I see that Roxio has a new 2009 version. What should I do to make the "minor changes"? I've no problem with changing/deleting Registry keys or -- if necessary -- restoring to an earlier data. I downloaded Keywrite 2.1 on 9/16. I think I installed it immediately. Have you ever used TeamViewer? It's like a remote access; it seems easy and it is free. I'm in Minneapolis; where are you?
Not sure quite what I was thinking about Access. That would effect Hoster not Microstudio.

However the Roxio may be causing trouble. Look in your Startup folder in the Star Menu and see if there is a shortcut for Roxio. If there is delete it. This is a quick start utility for Roxio but isn't needed and actually can lock your drive to exclusive use by Roxio.

To change the registry: Click Start/Run, type "regedit" (without quotes) and hit enter. Next click the plus next to HKEY-CURRENT_USER, click the plus next to software.

Find Micro Technology Unlimited and click the plus next to it. Right click on Microstudio and delete the key. Close the registry editor.

Open Microstudio. This should rebuild the registry entries with all default settings and allow it to open.

If this doesn't work then your best bet is to restore back before 9/16. This will not effect any documents, files etc. that you have created since then so no worries there.