MTU.Community

Go Back   MTU.Community > Microstudio Software & Burners > Microstudio Help

Microstudio Help Post Microstudio questions, tips and suggestions here.

Old February 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Red face Microstudio converted my files without asking

I was originally running Microstudio 2.6. When I upgraded to version 4.00 it changed all my .cdg files to .bin files. Is there a way to prevent this? I happen to like .cdg

Mr.Bill
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

A competitor also used the .cdg extension for the Lryics-only file he created to illegally distribute CDG songs over the Internet for free. Since that was a massive winfall for the bootleggers, the MP3+G (G=.cdg file) format also became an industry standard which MTU finally gave in and now support. It is very difficult to differentiate between the older MTU .cdg and the MP3+G .cdg files. Their contents are vastly different.

Thus, MTU has discontinued support in all our programs for our older "orphan" CDG file format. It's contents are identical in every way to the .BIN format, except .BIN is sometimes used for other content also. That... is why we created .CDG over a decade ago; to indicate ONLY Karaoke CDG data in this file.

There is no loss in this conversion. Only industry compatibility gained.

Do not convert back to .cdg as Microstudio won't use the files, and neither will other current MTU products. BIN is today the Industry standard, which is why we convert to it for you.